Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Account privacy suggestions

Sep 13, 2022 - permalink

I would like to suggest that accounts on this site could benefit from better privacy controls.

In particular, it would make sense to me to have control over whether the following are visible to the public, visible to members only, or visible to the account holder only.

• "Last seen" time
  • Favorites (from which the timing of user activity can be deduced)
  • Uploads (same)
  • Image comments
  • Forum comments/threads

At the moment, best I can tell, is that all accounts' profiles require an account to view, but as long as someone registers, they can see any of this data for any user. While other data is more aggregate, like average score per upload, it may make sense to give each account control over its visibility as well.

Additionally, some information is necessary public. However, from an account's profile, it is easily aggregated, and it would make sense to make this optional. For example, any uploads, comments, and forum threads, should, of course, be visible from their respective pages. However, having them linked from a profile page gives insight to user activity at a glance.

The reason I bring this up is I would like to retain my normal account, but I have reason to believe someone may be stalking me. Many of the women on this site also have accounts here and post their own info, and they may have similar concerns.

Sep 13, 2022 - permalink

I admit that I go through the "favorites" of other users, but only because I discover incredible athletes that I would not know otherwise. There are millions of images and videos in the "images" tab, it would be simply impossible to find them, even with the "tags". I have no other intention. All of us who are here is because we admire female athletes. I really don't understand why you would want to make your profile private, when you yourself agreed to sign up in the first place. Like private Instagram accounts, users upload their personal content on the Internet and expect privacy.

Sep 14, 2022 - permalink

Pretty plainly spelled out:

I would like to retain my normal account, but I have reason to believe someone may be stalking me

Plus, I'm suggesting making these optional as an alternative to abandoning an account, not removing them. Plus, ones like "last seen" are not relevant to your concern.

Chainer
Sep 15, 2022 - permalink

I'm not against implementing these but the reason I haven't seen the need for it is that you can register any username(s) you want and none of these should inherently lead back to your real life identity. You can even have multiple accounts (as long as you don't abuse it to do stuff like bypass the upload limits).

If you're concerned about your username here being tied to your online activity elsewhere, you can message me and I can change your username.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »