Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

What's wrong with bodybuilding competitions being beauty pageants?

Sep 07, 2022 - permalink

I notice a lot of us in the community say that in a dismissive way. I've been watching more contests as of late, and the pageantry is the most interesting part of them. From the hair and makeup to the posing routines and flashy bikinis, I don't see why us fans wouldn't want some showmanship. Otherwise, these contests are flat out boring.

cgsweat
Sep 07, 2022 - permalink

Answer: There is nothing wrong.

The thing that I don't understand is that for those who are against it, their argument is that these competitions are purely about their muscles. If displaying some form of gender distinguishment is not required, then why not just watch men's bodybuilding instead?

Sep 07, 2022 - permalink

I think it’s because while all of us are attracted to/have a fetish for buff women, I would wager that relatively few care about bodybuilding as a sport itself. It’s probably why they don’t care about the competitions themselves, and would much rather look at social media pictures of them posing and training.

As for me, I don’t bodybuild (I do CrossFit) but I once had a session (no, not THAT kind fo session) with a posing coach, and it was pretty cool because posing actually takes a lot of skill and energy. There is definitely an art to it.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

They the ladies need to put on a show get out there and strut. Hey were a beauty Padget on steroids. Part athletic competition and part beauty Padgett and throw in striptease moves and your going to get a huge following

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

Well i love how most fbbs look on stage so i have no complaints but the muscles should be the most important thing not the make up the hair the "curves" they are great extras that make them go from looking almost perfect to pretty much perfect but we are here for muscle not just regular models.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

The thing that I don't understand is that for those who are against it, their argument is that these competitions are purely about their muscles. If displaying some form of gender distinguishment is not required, then why not just watch men's bodybuilding instead?

I even think the Men's side of things has its fair share of pageantry. It's Flex Wheeler showboating, Ronnie Coleman dressed like a king, Jay Cutler playing to the crowd with his Quad Stomp. Those are the moments that make these competitions come alive.

I think it’s because while all of us are attracted to/have a fetish for buff women, I would wager that relatively few care about bodybuilding as a sport itself. It’s probably why they don’t care about the competitions themselves, and would much rather look at social media pictures of them posing and training.

Yeah, I hear that a lot. For most fans, competitions were how they first saw these girls, but once pictures and videos became more accessible, there was no reason to watch. "They're just beauty pageants anyway."

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

I'm all for the pageant side - otherwise it feels like a cattle exhibition. Just weigh them, take their measures and go by the numbers.

To give an extreme case: Some people would prefer huge fbb types doing Quarter Turns, some others Bikini types doing a posing / flexing routine. I'm one of the latter.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

We already have beauty pageants. It’s redundant. It’s fairly self-explanatory.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

Beauty pageants tend to avoid judging the muscularity of their competitors or their athleticism in the case of the Fitness category, unless I'm mistaken. I don't see the redundancy.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

Its jus an extreme minority that need them to be completed butched roided up near-men lol .....and people wonder why the top divisions of FBB have practically died out.

Wellness/bikin/figure etc etc are about the only female divisions going places

Sep 08, 2022 - edited Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

I think that there's two sides here.

On one hand: most pro bodybuilders consider themselves as athletes, who are doing a sport. We want to allow equal access, so if the men's division is all about muscle and proportion, then the women's should be too. Theatrics and posing artistry play a big role, but there's nothing stopping a butt ugly man with an amazing body from winning the title. I don't think anyone would say that Ronnie Coleman was a stunner.. facially. There's no reason why the women's division should be any different. In theory, someone like Paige DuMars should be able to step on stage with short hair no nail polish and a plain posing suit and win if she has the best physique.

On the other hand, it seems like practically every single serious FBB is running an Onlyfans page or somehow catering to our community. This isn't a one-sided thing. They're very conscious of the sex appeal of their muscles. I know that there was a "NY Muscle Club" way back in the days dedicated to something like this.

Imagine pulling that off today. Hosted by something like HerBiceps. A live event where the girls are not only posing, but they're doing their own sexy routines and specifically catering to US. It can be on some kind of platform that allows for tipping and interaction. Here the awards are specifically granted to the sexiest competitor. It wouldn't be just looks alone, but they'd obviously play a huge role. It would be awesome if girls were shown in a range of conditioning too... allowing some thicker off-season ladies to participate.

Honestly this would be amazing for men too. Bodybuilding is distinct because there is a huge and undeniable sexual undercurrent to it. Both male and female competitors get off on their own bodies in ways that a basketball player just doesn't. The technology exists to make this easily available for consumers to enjoy. Just gotta remove the stigma of it.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

Someone else suggested something similar, although more akin to a showcase, ditching the competition aspect altogether. I’d be fine with that. I’m not against competition, but I doubt I’m the only one that rarely watches the awards ceremony. It’s the comparisons, posing routines, and pose downs that have the replay value.

Sep 08, 2022 - permalink

Someone else suggested something similar, although more akin to a showcase, ditching the competition aspect altogether. I’d be fine with that. I’m not against competition, but I doubt I’m the only one that rarely watches the awards ceremony. It’s the comparisons, posing routines, and pose downs that have the replay value.

^^ agreed totally.

I know that we all have our preferences, but I definitely prefer the huge off-season look to the shredded competition look. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that.

SO many women look amazing in their offseason but don't get any opportunity to get on stage. Imagine.. as you said.. a showcase where they can pose those thick muscles and really show off. Imagine a lush Helen Davis alongside a super-ripped Chelsea Dion. Why not?!?

There's no need for judges or a formal competition. If its an event with live viewers and tipping.. then whoever gets the most traffic and/or tips would be the winner. We'd manage to make bodybuilding fully democratic!

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »