Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Evolution of Female Bodybuilding

Sep 03, 2022 - permalink

Let us have a look down the memory or history lane of how over the course of time, female bodybuilding has evolved. From the times of Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton to Rachel Mclish (1st Ms Olympia winner) to Cory Everson & Bev Francis era to Lenda Murray & Kim Chizevsky era to Iris Kyle era up until Andrea Shaw (current Ms. Olympia).

Please share your views/opinions/suggestions how female bodybuilding has evolved over the years.

Sep 03, 2022 - permalink

I think female bodybuilding is still good i noticed that there is more variation in the body types now compared to the old school days so that is a positive

but i did notice there was a period around 30 years ago when fbbs had more representation in mainstream media compared to in the 2000s and 2010s and that is kind of strange considering that we are supposed to be less sexist now

but the internet has made it so fbbs can record themselves and share the footage without having to deal with a big company

i kind of wonder if the era i grew up in made me more interested in strong women since there where a lot of them on tv but probably not since we have people on here from all generations.

Sep 04, 2022 - permalink

I think while obviously being muscular as a female is infinitely more acceptable now than it was decades ago, it's likely that bodybuilding as a sport doesn't get as much coverage because it harbours similar negative connotations to other aesthetics-based competitions. The percentage of muscular women who compete must be a miniscule percentage now compared with how it was in the 80s and 90s.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »