Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Bright stars that began to burn out

Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/1676269/

Efi Sarris has disappeared too.

Chainer
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

I think this thread is less for women who disappeared (there is https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread/... for that) and more for women who are still posting and into fitness, just less popular than they once were.

Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

Charity Witt

She was awesome during her Titan win but after that she downsized

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

I think Michelle Gavin fits in here, she’s been busy with her life outside the gym and hasn’t really posted anything bodybuilding related in a long while. I don’t think she’s quit, but rather her priorities shifted for now since she’s said she’s not done.

She's still in nursing school or really just started (or if not nursing, something else health related) so that obviously takes a lot of time in the beginning. I'm sure she still trains--she was recently at a posing seminar with Rene Marven and some others. Dunno if she will compete again but looks like she's done with schmoe-land lol

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - edited Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

No sign of fading yet, but I'm curious how long Vladislava Galagan will maintain her current popularity. I'm speculating that she's at her peak right now simply because I'm having trouble imagining how she could possibly be even more popular than she currently is.

My guess is that Slava has a 2-3 year window of max popularity that we're in already. If I had to speculate, it's a combo of:

a) how many times she looks to compete after this particular show, and success she has.

b) how much she makes off of OF/HBC in this time period

c) unforseen life changes, like a kid, marriage, moving etc

d) how social media shifts/how she uses it

she's 26/27 so plenty young to take advantage, but if she makes bank (and I'm sure she already is) I could see her falling back to more traditional income means to supplement whatever savings she has. Also, before the took a break from bodybuilding last time she said she just didn't like the dieting and the gear and all that, and I could see that being something she thinks about. and there's other things she's interested in that may be way more possibly after a few years of good earnings.

IG is still big enough that it's a good way to (maybe still the best way) to platform yourself. Although TikTok has more chance at something going viral people still shunt viewers to their IG, especially since things sometimes get banned without a good reason.

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

@Chainer - She was gaining followers at a rate of about 100k/year when she was posting fitness content, even after she got implants. When she switched to glamor about three-four years ago, she leveled off at 700K and has been there ever since. Just check any instagram stats site.

In theory sex should sell better than female fitness. In practice, she failed to make it work. Her new photos are just... boring. Repetitive. With the bigger implants they are still boring and repetitive, and is why her profile has not grown at all since getting them 8 months ago.

I don't even think she cares about money. It's all about her self-image. Same exact thing with Cass Martin, just with implants instead of makeup. They both 'made it' and are now posting content that makes them feel confident and comfortable. Power to them, not so much their careers.

this is my opinion of course but I guess I just don't find her "appealing" sexually in the way that you might see your average social media thirst trap. I think she's pretty, but not so hot to distract from her built and really just oversized breasts. her whole look pre surgery was very complete IMO

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

Cass Martin for sure. She used to be all over the place and now you see very little of her. She has downsized as well.

downsized, catered to the majority of people who were following, which wasn't the "hardcore" look she had before (it wasn't really hardcore but she was v muscular). plus she was married and was in business with her husband house flipping. wonder if that's still going on.

but i'm sure she had a manager encouraging her to make an image shift for income/business purposes.

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

Samara Buckler also disappeared very quickly. Jennie Roosa too

Jennie Roosa found a man, got married, and immediately quit basically. i don't think she liked the attention at all, tbh

fp909
Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

> Someone like Julia, whose entire shtick is being a cute, buff girl

Influencers don't need to do anything different to continue growing. It's the opposite - they need to do their 'thing' well, and stick to it.

Bakhar Nabieva's account is still gaining followers at around 300k/year, and she does nothing but post pictures of herself, notable for her fitness, tattoos, and eyes. I guarantee you this would stop if she downsized.

The only people who really plateau are those with 200M+ followers. At that point, they cannot go further only because almost everyone knows about them already.

For smaller influencers, lack of growth on modern platforms means they are circling the drain. You don't generally lose followers either - people don't unfollow often. Instead, an even worse thing happens - you get ignored. People stop talking about you, or reposting your content.

Consider Stampy, a Minecraft player. He has 10M subscribers, but often only gets 50K views a video. This happened to Cass, and I believe is happening to Cindy right now.

this is the plight of your average content creator. and some larger ones.

If I get to 500k followers because I was posting photos of my body that people liked, but then shifted to something completely different because my platform was enough to shill product or run a small business, that's a factor to lower engagement.

Posting the same pose over and over is an engagement killer.

Posting long-ass videos is an engagement killer.

Posting life drama is an engagement killer.

Not shifting with the winds is an engagement killer.

Case in point, one girl who is blacklisted her for her age has 5.1m TikTok followers. She blew up in 2020 for being a jacked gymnast doing the dumb dances that people than stitched into their own jokes. SHe's been stuck at 5.1m for over a year, all of her (brief) sponsors have dropped her. SHe's done 2 flex trends int he last 2 years, and aside from the dance trends has not done very many trends (if any at all). You can see it pretty clear in the viewer counts on her posts. It may be that she doesn't care, it also may change once she turns 18, idk. But it's so odd to see someone with that high of a follower count basically do nothing with it

Aug 10, 2022 - permalink

Does Jill Rudison count? https://www.instagram.com/p/CSnD0adpx5L/?hl=en

She clearly still lifts, but looks like she quit the PED use/bodybuilding lifestyle completely.

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

Jennie Roosa found a man, got married, and immediately quit basically. i don't think she liked the attention at all, tbh

She was insanely hot I saw some pics of her and her bf and she was huge. Too bad she quit

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

downsized, catered to the majority of people who were following, which wasn't the "hardcore" look she had before

@fp909 quit the mod team?

She gained 2M because of her "hardcore" look, and emphasis on fitness. After downsizing/shifting to a more "feminine fit bunny" paradigm, her account stopped growing and she became irrelevant.

Most of these influencers aren't catering to the general population. Anyone can follow Emma Watson or some other 300M+ account for an average-but-hot look.

Leaving your niche to pander to the majority usually never works, and more often means the end of your career. I can't even think of a single fitness influencer who got more popular AFTER downsizing/entering the glamor scene.

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

Julie Bourassa got married and pretty much disappeared, I think she quit BB too.

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

Lauren Findley's popularity might burn out. Her social media posts are becoming samey. To me, it's telling that her most popular posts on here recently were old videos of her working out and flexing with Hany Rambod.

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

She's still in nursing school or really just started (or if not nursing, something else health related) so that obviously takes a lot of time in the beginning. I'm sure she still trains--she was recently at a posing seminar with Rene Marven and some others. Dunno if she will compete again but looks like she's done with schmoe-land lol

She had some of the best posing and camera connection to cater to schmoe-land. Best potential squandered, she could have raked it in easily during her all too brief comeback on OF, with just a bit more effort.

Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

I don’t blame her for being jaded after having to deal with that stalker a years ago.

fp909
Aug 11, 2022 - permalink

Altho let’s be real here: none of these people are true celebrities. They might be in bodybuilding, but not in the wider world. Everyone has a ceiling for growth in social media and I would say if you’re picking up over 100k you’re doing pretty well. It’s just not something that you can do long term like acting

cgsweat
Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

To be clear, what kind of popularity are we talking about? Are we talking about popularity in general or popularity with schmoes?

Open to interpretation. I wrote it with female muscle aficionados in mind but other perspectives are fine here as well.

I guess I could add Shanique Grant here, but I'm sure most of us already know the main reason is she quit competing. We'll never see her in shredded competition shape again, which was her main appeal for most of us, since she was the top physique star for several years. Again, it's a shame, but I get it. That lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

Open to interpretation. I wrote it with female muscle aficionados in mind but other perspectives are fine here as well.

I guess I could add Shanique Grant here, but I'm sure most of us already know the main reason is she quit competing. We'll never see her in shredded competition shape again, which was her main appeal for most of us, since she was the top physique star for several years. Again, it's a shame, but I get it. That lifestyle isn't for everyone.

I saw her in person at a Target not too long ago. Definitely still fit, but downsized considerably.

Pro bodybuilding is a rough life. Though her recent social media presence has been…odd.

fp909
Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

her social media presence has been odd for a while now, i think she has a lot going on

Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

Eh, I think Shanique doesn't qualify for the topic of this thread. She is more in the territory "Girls who used to be great but QUIT!". Her engagement rates are very low, as evidenced by the fact that she is hiding likes on her old but very popular posts, and most of her newer unpopular posts. She also publicly stated she wasn't doing well financially in one of her stories I think.

Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

her social media presence has been odd for a while now, i think she has a lot going on

She has always had a very volatile and out of sorts life removed from bodybuikding. BB seems to have been the only thing that brought a semblence of stability

cgsweat
Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

She has always had a very volatile and out of sorts life removed from bodybuikding. BB seems to have been the only thing that brought a semblence of stability

I always felt like she had a beef with Sarah Villegas for some reason. Unconfirmed, but it's always been a suspicion of mine.

Aug 12, 2022 - permalink

@cgsweat Well, Sarah did make that silly post a while back asking Shanique to come back to competing if Sarah won she'd take Shanique's 2nd Ms Olympia win, otherwise Sarah would pay her 10K.

I always wondered why Shanique retired so soon. Plenty of FBBs have competed much longer without significant negative health effects. It may well be that Sarah simply plays the politics better - if the private jet posing is of any indication, she's married to someone wealthy and well-connected. Let's be real, black people in the U.S are still by and large disadvantaged socioeconomically.

Either Shanique is a sore loser, reacts much more poorly to gear than usual, is out of her depth politically, or maybe some combination of those things.

Aug 27, 2022 - permalink

I think Shanique got tired of doin the crazy conditioning and it finally caught up to her and said its not worth it. And Sarah would have blown her outta the water next show if she didnt hang it up.

« first < prev Page 2 of 3 next > last »