Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

the "teen" tag

Aug 01, 2022 - permalink

Have you ever been on Youtube and would your ideas carry over?

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Would it not then make more sense to report the user's comment

I did. Have/would you?

than calling every person who sees the pic a creep and inferring that we are a bunch of dogs with the pink bit hanging out?

That's a pretty big and detailed extrapolation from what I actually wrote. But hey, if you actively try to make the shoe fit...

Feb 27, 2024 - permalink

To reach some kind of halfway conclusion about this I reason that the teen tag exists and is not going away. It literally means people who were 18 or 19 when the picture was taken. I think it should be used for those images only and removed from all the others. If not sure then remove.

Nude pictures have never been allowed here, so that was always a moot point. Nobody really believes that anything magical happens in the physical reality when a person turns 18. It's an arbitrary line, but it must be drawn somewhere.

I wish there was a "twenties" tag. It would cover all ages from twenty to twenty-nine, which is five times more than the teen tag.

I also wish there was some kind of vetting process for tagging. Maybe even an automatic one. A person can apply for automatically granted tagging privileges. But if enough people remove his tags (not knowing it was him, or course, because the tags are anonymous), the privilege will be automatically revoked.

The problem is that we have more stupid than smart people using the site, and those stupid people can't be taught that anything that "looks young" is not a teen and that a bicep simply existing in a picture without being prominent in any way does not warrant a bicep tag. And that an athlete tag is for women who are obviously doing competitive sports in the picture. Otherwise you could tag every single picture here as athletic.

But the steps to get anywhere is to first see if a destination exists (to use the teen tag properly). Then to attempt to get there (clear all teen tags from images where the person is not a teen). Then the third step is to see if it is worthwhile to do it halfway if perfect success is unattainable. If yes, then keep on updating the tags. If not then in a fourth step either agree on a new definition, such as "looks young" instead of a literal teen, or remove the whole thing. The other alternative is not to care at all and just let things happen.

qaz
Feb 27, 2024 - permalink

I didn't care enough to start this conversation, but since it's already going thanks to others, I do think we would be better off without the "teen" tag, all things considered.

I suspect that the percentage of users who actively want it to be taken away is pretty small. So chances are it's going to stay.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »