Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

"Recently Favorited" has replaced "Recently Commented" on the front page (reverted)

Chainer
Jul 05, 2022 - edited Jul 13, 2022 - permalink

Edit: Because this was both unpopular and didn't accomplish the original goal of significantly reducing the low quality image comment count, I have undone this change.

The problem with the "Recently Commented" section was that it created a link between leaving a comment to bumping an image to the front page, thus incentivizing low-effort comments just to get an image more attention. This incentive no longer exists, since recently commented images no longer show up on the front page.

My hope is the new "Recently Favorited" section has more or less the same benefit as Recently Commented did (showing you a selection of images other users are interacting with that you might not have otherwise seen) without the drawback of incentivizing behavior we don't want.

Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

I don't think this is better. It overlaps with Most Popular pictures in the past 24 hours. I'd rather see what's stirring comments than see more people following the latest hot pics.

Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

yea i agree i dont think bumping was an issue and it let me see old pictures i really liked. if anything the bump is a good thing imo

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

Recently commented images are still searchable.

https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/?order...

Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

So, what's the difference between "Recently Posted" and "Recently Favorited"? It's kinda obvious recent pictures gonna be instant fav, right? It's also confilt with the "High Score Today" section too, because if a high scored pic is faved, it will appear in "Recently Favorited" too.

I agree, the "Recently Commented" was better, because somtimes, peoples found the name of unammed pics and write their names in the comment secion. Kinda useful.

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

This is the current list of Recently Favorited. I actually do not see anything recently posted or from the high score list.

Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

It's not a fair comparison, since Most Recent favorites has only been open an hour or so. I'd expect more correspondence in the long-term. Anyway, this is revealing a different type of psychology. Some viewers have 10's of thousands of favorites - they're totally indiscriminate. That's what I think you're seeing here. Most of these aren't noteworthy pictures. Making a pic your favorite is too easy. I prefer someone having to write a sentence, or at least a comment of a few words.

cgsweat
Jul 05, 2022 - permalink

I could understand an argument about replacing Recently Favorited with something else, and if anyone has any better ideas then we're willing to hear you out. Otherwise Chainer outlined the problem with Recently Commented in the original post to this thread.

For those interested in viewing the recently commented section, it has not disappeared. I already provided a direct link to the full list of recently commented images. Otherwise, if your interest is to find higher quality comments, you can periodically browse through the comments of specific users through their own profile page, users who seem to leave comments that are to your satisfaction. If you're more interested in images that have the most comments, there is a direct link for that as well.

There are still many ways to keep up with comments. All that changed is it takes a couple of extra clicks now to view that specific arrangement of images.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

The top section of the homepage is a dropdown menu. If the various photo sections on the homepage could be expandable like the top section, that would allow people to open the sections they find most relevant.

[deleted]
Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Recently commented was the best part of the homepage, shame it's gone

[deleted]
Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

And I've loved this site for years

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

It's not a fair comparison, since Most Recent favorites has only been open an hour or so. I'd expect more correspondence in the long-term. Anyway, this is revealing a different type of psychology. Some viewers have 10's of thousands of favorites - they're totally indiscriminate. That's what I think you're seeing here. Most of these aren't noteworthy pictures. Making a pic your favorite is too easy. I prefer someone having to write a sentence, or at least a comment of a few words.

Agree

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

For me it's not a good change, but what can we do.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

The recently favorited pictures turn over at warped speed, as images are commented on a ton less.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

The recently favorited pictures turn over at warped speed, as images are commented on a ton less.

yep, I'm fine with it especially with how quickly the images are changing.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Bring back recently commented, far more interesting.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

I like it; I think it’s an interesting solution to the stated problem.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

I think I prefer "recently commented," but let's see how this works, why not?

The velocity of change is way faster for "recently favorited."

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Just wondering, could a user not just un-favourite and re-favourtie an image to bump it to the front page? I know I use this on my own favs to help rediscover images added a long time ago

Jul 06, 2022 - edited Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Just wondering, could a user not just un-favourite and re-favourtie an image to bump it to the front page? I know I use this on my own favs to help rediscover images added a long time ago

^^^ this, if it works that way

I had initially made a suggestion for the site to give us an option to do personal pins, where we could staple some of our own all-time favorites to the top of our lists to keep them from getting washed away with the constantly growing pics. The idea was shot down pretty fast but one thing I was told was if I wanted something at the top of my list I could just unfavorite/re-favorite, which I do on a regular basis.

And to add my own two cents regarding the OP comment, I think relating low quality comments to an attempt to get pics to reappear on the front page is more a conspiracy theory and I think the side effect is less intentional. A very large majority of comments made here are low quality in the first place and always have been, basically coming down to sky-is-blue obvious statements like 'she is hot'. People use the forums for the complicated discussions more often than on the pics themselves (not to say it doesn't happen). Plus, tbh... I don't really care what pics are being favorited by other people any moreso than I'd care to rifle through their dresser drawer to see what kind of socks they buy. They made those favorite choices using their own personal preference filters which aren't shared by me in most cases, so it's now just another random sampling of photos as far as I'm concerned.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

I prefer recently commented.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Yeah, I also don't like the change for reasons mentioned.

The problem with the "Recently Commented" section was that it created a link between leaving a comment to bumping an image to the front page, thus incentivizing low-effort comments just to get an image more attention.

It takes more effort to write a comment than an unfavorite and re-favorite -- not that that strategy will work as the noise from new favorites will drown out the blasts from the past.

Jul 06, 2022 - permalink

Instead of recently commented, I would prefer number of comments. We can do it like we do likes. Most commented in the last 24 hours would be good to see on the front page. This will show you which images have the mist discussions

« first < prev Page 1 of 4 next > last »