Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Why do some people think that muscular women are somehow discriminated in the dating market?

[deleted]
Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

I used to see this all the time. Men would comment that since everyone was too afraid to approach a muscular woman they would have less competition to deal with if they made the first move. They also sometimes comment that only a small percentage of men actually like muscles on a woman. I think this is quite false judging by all the "Do you like muscular women" threads I see posted on Reddit with 90% of the answers being "death by snu snu :3" and the other 10% "They're not my type." I also remember reading a comment from a woman about how the highest amount of attention she got in her life was when she was doing bodybuilding. Does anyone else think that the whole "women with muscles aren't appreciated by the public" meme is exaggerated?

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

"Some people" think all sorts of shit. And social media often enables them to believe tons of people actually care.

Pro tip: everyone is discriminated against in the dating market. That's what's supposed to happen.

Jun 20, 2022 - edited Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

It could be an exaggeration, but probably not by much. I'm sure lots of guys would date a muscular woman secretly. But remember that Reddit and the internet aren't always indicative of real life. There's a hive mind when it comes to posts and memes, and one of the latest memes is the Death by Snu Snu thing. Many others still think muscular women are repulsive and have no problem being loud and annoying in sharing their opinion.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

Just depends how you describe “discriminated”. Women in general will have a way bigger dating pool than men, so if you’re comparing it to other women, maybe, but if you’re comparing it to men, no. I’m assuming they probably get more attention than an average woman though considering they’re in shape.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

The thing is both men who like muscles and strong women are rare but there are still millions of men who like it but i think world wide there May be about 10.000 women that could be considered muscular.

So they have a lot of men to choose from and the millions of men who are into this will date any woman with muscles no matter what flaws she May have because they are so rare.

Also some muscular women still look very traditionally femmine while others look odd to the average guy.

cgsweat
Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

I think it depends on what the OP's definition of "muscular women" is. Are you talking about massive FBB types, slim yet toned fitness influencer types, or something in between?

The further from the norm they appear, they less receptive the general public is with them. It's not to say that FBB's aren't accepted at all, but any "discrimination" that might occur would probably be more likely at that end of the spectrum of body types.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

It's relatively easy to find a man who'd do a one-night stand with you for the novelty. Much harder to find one willing to do your meal preps, inject T into your ass, and deal with your pissy moods as you lean out for a contest. That's the real dating problem faced by fbbs and why so many of them end up with mbbs.

As in any relationship, it's about learning to take the bad and the ugly along with the good.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

I think it depends on what the OP's definition of "muscular women" is. Are you talking about massive FBB types, slim yet toned fitness influencer types, or something in between?

The further from the norm they appear, they less receptive the general public is with them. It's not to say that FBB's aren't accepted at all, but any "discrimination" that might occur would probably be more likely at that end of the spectrum of body types.

^That. You have to define "muscular".

For a man to refuse a date she would have to be a real steroid monster. Even up to physique level the vast majority of men would have no problem. Figure competitors and below have to keep guys away with a stick.

What is the number of steroid monsters trying to date? Maybe 400 women globally? I think this is a non issue.

Jun 20, 2022 - edited Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

The thing is both men who like muscles and strong women are rare but there are still millions of men who like it but i think world wide there May be about 10.000 women that could be considered muscular.

So they have a lot of men to choose from and the millions of men who are into this will date any woman with muscles no matter what flaws she May have because they are so rare.

Also some muscular women still look very traditionally femmine while others look odd to the average guy.

I think you're off by a factor of 100. There are 3 billion adult women in the world. A million muscular women (BB, figure, wellness, bikini, PL, strongman, athletes who play sports, naturally muscular, works at physical jobs like farmer or stevedore, gym trainer, gym teacher or coach, or just a gym rat) would be 1/30 of 1 percent. That sounds about right. If there are only 10,000 I think I've seen all of them.

Hell, I know two named Samantha Hawley! One in real life, one over the internet.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

My involvement in fitness and in competing has enabled me to network with lots of fit and muscular women. And I gotta tell you, they have no shortage of dating options. Even the women who has a build that would put them at “Women’s Physique” level of muscularity: they’re not for lacking in attention from men and women.

It’s true that schmoes are in the minority compared to most men who prefer a more “conventional” look in women. But there are still lots of guys who are attracted to buff women, including those who are chemically enhanced (which are more than you think.)

I remember Kortney Olson posted a reel on her IG where the narration said “the problem isn’t that guys aren’t attracted to muscular women, but that there aren’t enough muscular women around for all the guys attracted to them.” And that’s true: there are far more schmoes than there are buff women.

[deleted]
Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

I honestly think that it's just a taboo and it's actually women who try to diminish it because they don't care for the competition. It's hard enough to he attractive and not overweight, add in being muscular and it's a very intimidating thing to deal with.

My ex wife was a natural figure model and she always said that the amount of men (and women) that were interested went through the roof when she got jacked. She was always good looking and fit so it's not like she wasn't getting plenty of attention before. Turns out just about everyone likes boulder shoulders and abs on women.

Jun 20, 2022 - permalink

The average guy would love a fit woman, whether admitting or not. Dating a FBB is either because it’s your lifestyle too or a fetish.

Jun 22, 2022 - permalink

"Why do some people think ___" - Would it not have been a better strategy for OP to ask those people directly why they think the way they do about the alleged discrimination?

[deleted]
Jun 22, 2022 - permalink

Well, I was hoping those people would show up lol

Jun 26, 2022 - permalink

Discriminated/not appreciated?—i would certainly hope not. I find fit/muscular women nowadays are more popular and en vogue as they were in the 80s and 90s, at least in certain media and entertainment, not to mention Instagram and on here of course. Are there many "muscle girls" out there? In the dating scene? In my area? Interested in someone like me either for looks or personality?: Maybe, maybe not. I suppose it comes down to how they would describe or present themselves either online or irl. A typical muscle girl may only look for a muscle guy who can keep up with her lifestyle, so that can narrow the pool and give a majority of regular guys like me seemingly little to no chance of finding that special kind of gal in the wild by chance. If she just happens to be muscular or fit in general but it might not be a big deal to her to mention outright, then only someone who would have an eye for her physique might notice and go from there. Overall tldr, i feel dating is rough for anyone despite their looks for most, but if a fit gal with a fabulous personality can make herself known to those that can appreciate her for who she is then maybe the stigma and stereotypes might diminish for good someday 💪😊❤️‍🔥

Jun 26, 2022 - permalink

Most people aren't as attracted to muscular women as we are and some people find muscles on a woman to be too manly for their liking.

Discrimination may not be the right word, but if you get a bunch of guys to pick between a muscular girl and a regular girl based on looks alone, the regular girl is gonna get picked much more.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »