Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

The Omaha Pro had "2" competitors competing in the FBB division. Just....how?

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

Did they announce ahead that the 1st place prize was going to be a $25 WALMART Gift Card or something? I don't think I've seen a line-up that small for a pro show before. I believe 5 was the smallest I've seen. But 2? That's pathetic.

Anybody have any behind the scenes information for why this happened?

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

Could be any number of reasons

• fbbing isn't a popular class

• not much prize money

• a long way out from the olympia (if thats your goal)

• no other fbb shows within the next x weeks, so you can do a bunch at once - rack up those O points

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

The other classes are practically bodybuilder size anyways. The demand for the ultra size is just nil. sorry to say.

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

• fbbing isn't a popular class

• not much prize money

• a long way out from the olympia (if thats your goal)

• no other fbb shows within the next x weeks, so you can do a bunch at once - rack up those O points

These are valid reasons. Female bodybuilders are gorgeous women but competition wise it's not exactly a popular class. Prize money is very small for them as well. Believe me I used to host amateur bodybuilding competitions along with my fellow personal trainers in Chicago and honestly we were getting probably about the maximum of 6 competitors for FBB competitions. And the prize money that we gave out was very little. Not anything into the thousands. Plus a lot of them didn't care about Olympia. They did it for the fun and enjoyment.

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

The other classes are practically bodybuilder size anyways. The demand for the ultra size is just nil. sorry to say.

Very true.

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

I saw this too and was very surprised at the low turnout. It's not as if the Omaha Pro isn't a well respected show. In 2020, there were 8 competitors in women's bodybuilding at this show, and it was won by Andrea Shaw. Last year there were 11 female bodybuilders, and Michaela Aycock took first place. So why there were only two women this year is a bit of a mystery.

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

And the winner normally competes in Physique...

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

So why there were only two women this year is a bit of a mystery.

Jake Wood is running out of money?

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

And the winner normally competes in Physique...

As far as I can tell, the last time Danielle Willis competed was as a bodybuilder at the 2021 Lenda Murray Savannah Pro, where she came joint 16th out of 17 women.

Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

And remember that the Vancouver Island Showdown Pro only had 1 female bodybuilder - Eva Montgomery.

https://contests.npcnewsonline.com/contests/2...

cgsweat
Jun 13, 2022 - permalink

• not much prize money

I think prize money hasn't been a valid incentive to compete for several years. These women easily make much more money from other sources, and so for most of them who do compete it's mostly for the experience and perhaps exposure. However it could be a big reason for younger aspiring bodybuilders who might look at the meager prize money and say to themselves "why bother?" And of course for the older bodybuilders who have been around for several years don't even worry about the money. And they've already made their names so they'll just compete at a few select shows per year, something they might even talk about and decide on about amongst their peers.

Also, a simpler explanation might be due to an economy in the middle of a nosedive. Travel expenses must be at an all time high right now, so naturally bodybuilders are going to be much pickier about the shows they compete at this year.

Has anyone noticed if the other divisions were particularly lacking, or was female bodybuilding the only one with a lower than expected turnout?

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »