Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Is a culture shift happening?

Jun 26, 2022 - permalink

SHE HULK SHOW LOOKS LAME ANYWAYS.

Jun 27, 2022 - permalink

SHE HULK SHOW LOOKS LAME ANYWAYS.

I think you need to shout louder if you want the producers to take your detailed critique seriously.

Jul 02, 2022 - permalink

I think you need to shout louder if you want the producers to take your detailed critique seriously.

The Hulk was an accident that Bruce struggled to control, was hunted and had no chance of living a normal life. She Hulk? Wants powers, gets it and that's it? Why not just have it be an accident or an experiment by Ross that fails and the series is about she Hulk trying to survive.

Jul 02, 2022 - permalink

I think there is a culture shift going on. It is not complete, and it may stop and reverse itself, but I don't think so. The member who wrote about girls sports in 1965 was right. A lot of high schools had many fewer sports for girls than boys, gymnastics was not yet big, and woman's role in society was much more apt to be seen as learning and raising children and being the homemaker. The second wave of feminism, Title IX, the women's gymnastics teams, the rise of women's soccer, and the acceptance that the gym and weight lifting were for women and normal people, not just hard core athletes all changed that.

If you look at the first competitive bodybuilders, Rachel McLeish, Aubey Pauluk, etc. and others in the 1980s, they were considerably smaller than the FBBs of today. Not only that, there weren't many of them.

Today, there are new women on the pages of this website on a daily basis who blow those women away. Moreover, there are athletes in other sports who train for the sport and then shift, because they like what it does to their bodies. Finally, there is, increasingly, an attitude today of "Who gives a flying F... what society or anyone else thinks, this is what i am into."

All of these things have contributed to a change, and i don't see it going away. :-)

Jul 02, 2022 - edited Jul 02, 2022 - permalink

I guess if we're lowering the bar on what we consider buff, then yeah. Natalie Portman wasn't buff, she was toned, but far from being buff. What we're seeing is that culture has shifted towards being more accepting of everything. Homosexuality, trans, fat, etc all of these things are more accepted now. So you won't see buff girls criticized or ridiculed as much anymore. Maybe that opens more women up to being buff, but I don't think it'll be a popular trend. Most of society will still see it as weird, they're just not going to be outspoken or rude about it.

Aug 05, 2022 - permalink

Their interpretation of She Hulk is virtually an insult to muscle lovers. Here is the one female character who absolutely needs to be jacked and they've come up with something that just looks like a gym instructor who just happens to be twice the size of everyone else. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Aug 05, 2022 - permalink
Aug 05, 2022 - permalink

World Athletics Championships were held a couple of weeks ago with hundreds of female athletes. With the exception of some very fat throwers most of female bodies there, are marketable and desirable by mainstream standards.

None of them were anywhere close the muscularity of IFBB athletes, Female bodybuilding/physique/figure will always be a fringe, unmarketable sport because of the drugs that produce these bodies.

Social media gave a huge push to feminine women lifting weights but this will be as far as it goes.

Aug 05, 2022 - permalink
Aug 05, 2022 - permalink

"so woke...." I clicked on the site and immediately, got a pop-up to contribute to fight the "far left." I'm not into "wokeism," as a free thinker. But I also offer that PM is a biased source.

Aug 05, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by shav6789
Aug 05, 2022 - permalink

Muscle has nothing to do with it -- Batgirl movie cancelled for being so 'woke' that it was 'irredeemable'

“They” are trying to make these fill-in-the-blanks characters happen on the big screen and audiences are telling them, “nah, we good”. MCU created a story arc to get us to a female Captain Marvel, and capitalized mostly by packaging it between Infinity War and Endgame.. Nine guys chatting on a female muscle-centric fan forum aren’t going to convince the studios to put $200 million into creating a film just for them. But that doesn’t mean the new SH series has no shot to be interesting.

Aug 05, 2022 - permalink

Here's the latest trailer - I don't hate it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7JsKhI2An0

Aug 06, 2022 - permalink

"so woke...." I clicked on the site and immediately, got a pop-up to contribute to fight the "far left." I'm not into "wokeism," as a free thinker. But I also offer that PM is a biased source.

Well Batgirl had a POC lead, and a trans actress co-starring, so I can see how the new Powers What Am would be concerned about it. But not even releasing it as Direct to DVD? That's ridiculous.

Aug 06, 2022 - edited Aug 06, 2022 - permalink

Well Batgirl had a POC lead, and a trans actress co-starring, so I can see how the new Powers What Am would be concerned about it. But not even releasing it as Direct to DVD? That's ridiculous.

It won't be released in any form for financial reasons. That meant they could write off more of the losses on their balance sheet with the accountants in a different way than if they had followed it through with any kind of public release. The phrase " Don't throw good money after bad " comes to mind.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »