Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Why so many muscle girls are from Sweden?

Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

Hey guys, the majority of the time I find a new girl on Instagram I recognize they are from Sweden like Melinda lindmark, Samantha jerrings etc. Is that stereotypes over there?

Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

I have heard that there are a lot of women in the gyms over there. I also heard about a Swedish girl and her friends who liked to work out because they wanted to be stronger than their boyfriends.

Chainer
Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

the majority of the time I find a new girl on Instagram

Might want to consider if there is some kind of bias going on. Sweden has such a small population that even if they had 2-3x the average number of muscular women per capita, it still wouldn't show up on instagram "the majority of the time".

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

I think the culture is just good for it it encourages women to be strong.

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

Just a theory but I think Sarah Backman played a part in it. She was pretty famous for her arm wrestling. World champion at a very young age. I was in Sweden in early 2010s and she signed with a major gym chain (SATs) and was promoted heavily. Must have inspired a lot of girls in Sweden

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

I live in Sweden myself, so here is my theory. Feel free to disagree, as it is a very unscientific theory! I think there is a combination of factors at play here in Sweden:

1. People here practise sports from a very young age. All children are pretty much expected to play football, handball, track and field or some other sport. On top of that, many Swedish families go skiing in the winter. In fact, schools have a one-week break in February called "sports break" where the expectation is that children will go skiing or do some other kind of sport instead of being at school. If all children practise sports from a young age, even if only a small proportion of them will take it as a stepping stone towards fitness/bodybuilding, you will see the effects across the entire society.

2. It gets dark here in the winters. Cold and dark, and depressing. Good luck going for a walk, watching a football game or just grilling in the park when it's -30º celsius and the sun sets at 2pm. People need a way to pass the time during the winter, and gyms are warm. So very many Swedes spend hours upon hours at the gym during the winter, so that when the summer comes they can take off their jackets and show off the results of their gym work.

3. Swedes have good fucking genes. They're usually quite tall, have amazing cheekbones, a huge proportion of blondes with blue eyes, and many of them even tan easily! I think this has created a kind of 'race to the top'. If you want to compete for good sexual companions, you have to look your best. I'm not particularly tall (or blonde) so I have a feeling that if I want to compete with Olof, who is 3 metres tall and has amazing features, I better get myself to the gym. Of course in the long run this means that Olof also goes to the gym to compete with me, and something similar happens with women.

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

I live in Sweden too and I agree with the theory above completely

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

I live in Sweden myself, so here is my theory. Feel free to disagree, as it is a very unscientific theory! I think there is a combination of factors at play here in Sweden:

To add to my own list, I just realised that there is a fourth factor. Here in Sweden, pretty much all companies offer their employees a thing called friskvårdsbidrag, which essentially means that they pay for your gym membership. I think that makes it much more likely that a young woman will start going to the gym because it's free, and for every young woman who starts going to the gym there is a small chance that she will become hooked and start bodybuilding more seriously. So my argument would be that Sweden simply provides its women with more opportunities to get into working out, and for every 1,000 who do that, maybe one or two become truly hooked.

As a quick sample, there are six gyms within 15 minutes' walking distance of my home here in Sweden. I was recently travelling around southern Europe and saw perhaps three or four gyms over the space of two weeks! The proliferation of gyms here in Sweden (caused by the fact that there is huge demand for gyms) surely makes it more likely that women will really get into it.

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

The Nordic countries have a long tradition of strength sports, don’t they? I have the (also unscientific) impression there are lots of Swedish powerlifters, for example.

Jun 10, 2022 - permalink

Theories above are good.

But also, Insta recommends following accounts based on the accounts you have viewed and followed already. Basically, there might be a built in confirmation bias because Insta follows an algorithm hat bases what you see on what you have already seen.

Someone else might end up perceiving that there are soooo many fitness girls from Korea or Brazil or Thailand.

Jun 11, 2022 - permalink

Thailand?

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »