Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Is it ‘muscle’ or ‘muscles’?

[deleted]
Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

Interesting in chat/threads with other muscle addicts the term commonly used is ‘muscle’ instead of ‘muscles’. Even referring to overall body ‘muscle’ instead of overall body ‘muscles’. Just me I’m sure but I find the word ‘muscle’ much more erotic!

Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

It's the same word but plural lol.

Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

It's one of those words that has a singular and a plural version that changes the meaning slightly.

"Muscle" singular is the concept / idea of strength, size, power, beauty etc.

"Muscles" plural are all the individual bumps and bulges like biceps, pecs, quads etc.

'Girls with Muscle' then is like saying: "Girls with Power" / "Girls with Strength."

Or mid-worship a girl could say: "Feel that? That's all muscle" - That's all power / strength

It's the same with "Exercise" (concept) vs "Exercises" (push ups/pull ups/curls etc.)

Anyway, I agree with you. "Muscle" sends the mind racing more.

Jun 09, 2022 - edited Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

In the USA they say sports, in the UK we say sport. There is no need for the additional S. Sport means all sports! The same applies to muscle.

cgsweat
Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

In the USA they say sports, in the UK we say sport. There is no need for the additional S. Sport means all sports! The same applies to muscle.

Ah, just like the difference between math and maths 😉

Jun 09, 2022 - permalink

😆

Jun 11, 2022 - permalink

Muscle is both a count noun and a mass noun, so it's both.

Jun 11, 2022 - permalink

Muscle is both a count noun and a mass noun, so it's both.

This. That’s why in English people say “I like your hair.” Not, “I like your hairs.”

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »