Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Has anyone experienced or studied "muscle envy"?

May 11, 2022 - permalink

https://elestoque.org/2022/03/16/sports/male-...

“I don’t actually go to the weight room,” Huang says. “I feel like I’m being kind of teased for not being strong enough.”

I was a fan of strong girls and remember being impressed by strong guys long before I ever entered a weight room. I love seeing humans doing amazing things and used to have the goal of being strong like that.

May 11, 2022 - permalink

Not really muscle envy but I do struggle from body dysmorphia.

I have been lifting for years, and while I am a natty lifter, it is sometimes hard to feel like my physique is “good enough”, and I get tempted with jumping on the PED bandwagon. Social media doesn’t help because it promotes all these insane “enhanced” physiques, and the people with those bodies have no qualms about claiming that their gains are all natural and that they got their physique with whatever program/supplements they happen to be selling.

Hell, I even think sites like this skew what schmoes think is achievable with natural lifting. Case in point: the Natalie Portman playing Thor thread. Near the end of that thread, you got a bunch of posts from guys saying “she isn’t muscular!” The reality is, yes, she is muscular and provides a pretty good example of what a natty lifter can look like. The problem is that when you don’t have that much knowledge of fitness and muscle building, and you are exposed on a site to women who are, in the vast majority of cases, on PEDs, they’re going to compare Natalie’s physique to them and say “pfft, she’s not buff.”

May 11, 2022 - permalink

At the same time I have at least 4 girlfriends in my CrossFit box with 14-15 inch biceps that can clean and jerk 160-180 lbs for reps. One of them is vegan and won’t even take minerals or vitamins.

It’s usually a question of wanting to get big and strong fast and to get cut and lean easily that motivates enhancements.

So yes, you can be bigger than Natalie Portman without roiding yourself crazy as a girl.

May 11, 2022 - permalink

Not really muscle envy but I do struggle from body dysmorphia.

I have been lifting for years, and while I am a natty lifter, it is sometimes hard to feel like my physique is “good enough”, and I get tempted with jumping on the PED bandwagon. Social media doesn’t help because it promotes all these insane “enhanced” physiques, and the people with those bodies have no qualms about claiming that their gains are all natural and that they got their physique with whatever program/supplements they happen to be selling.

Hell, I even think sites like this skew what schmoes think is achievable with natural lifting. Case in point: the Natalie Portman playing Thor thread. Near the end of that thread, you got a bunch of posts from guys saying “she isn’t muscular!” The reality is, yes, she is muscular and provides a pretty good example of what a natty lifter can look like. The problem is that when you don’t have that much knowledge of fitness and muscle building, and you are exposed on a site to women who are, in the vast majority of cases, on PEDs, they’re going to compare Natalie’s physique to them and say “pfft, she’s not buff.”

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but Natalie Portman is a terrible example. She's not muscular at all and any woman with a solid diet and lifting regimen is going to beat that physique without PEDs. The amount of wishful thinking in that thread is hilarious, I'd call it smoke and mirrors but there's hardly any smoke to begin with. She's tiny.

May 12, 2022 - permalink

Well i have always been lazy and weak by male standards but i am trying to change that now these women inspire me and i just want to be stronger because it's handy

But i am still very lazy my idea of "working out" is walking for a few hours and doing pushups against the wall for 15 minutes a day i have gotten a little stronger from this but i am still very weak for a man.

May 13, 2022 - permalink

At the same time I have at least 4 girlfriends in my CrossFit box with 14-15 inch biceps that can clean and jerk 160-180 lbs for reps. One of them is vegan and won’t even take minerals or vitamins.

Nattay and and vegan girls with 14-15 inch biceps and 160-180 ibs reps.

Is this real or just fantasy?

May 13, 2022 - permalink

You can find them on this site and you can read their stats from competitions. Competitive CrossFit women do tests. Probably some of the women beat the system. This I know nothing about. I’m based in Sweden. I’m not going to write their names because I get a bad feeling someone will google and figure out it’s me writing. :)

But there are a lot of Scandinavian athletes on this site. I don’t see why this is a fantasy!?! You see them here too!?!

May 13, 2022 - permalink

I totally have muscle envy. I lift and would love to have a physique like some I see in the gym.

May 13, 2022 - permalink

What Chester says. I've been lifting since my early 20's but my diet sucks.

Curls for the Girls!!!

May 18, 2022 - permalink

I figured at my young age that my body type refuses to build muscles easy. Could eat as much as I want and train heavy as I want but no significant change bodywise at least nothing that satisfied me.

Funny thing, later I got into weight training again from a different angle: after a couple of injuries and operations I got a personal trainer and started with baby steps, like a toddler: mobility, flexibility, core muscle, he even taught me how to walk properly. I sticked to that route and got amazing results.

The often discussed PEDs are sure way to blow up muscles and most likely it is difficult to make it to the stage without, however, it is amazing how much can be done with the right combination of workout, nutrition, lifestyle and sleep. Felt it on my own body without even going to extremes (i..e.: could not tie my shoestrings after two cases of slipped disc -> squat with 100kg on the shoulders and it felt good).

May 18, 2022 - permalink

It all comes down to genetics and whether you have fast twitch or slow twitch muscle groups. You can do a zillion bicep curls or ab crunches and you won't look like a gymnast who has well-defined muscles and an overactive metabolism that consumes large amount of calories while burning them off at a rapid rate. Most of us are not that blessed.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »