Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

iPhone photo/video files

Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

Is there any way to allow iPhone file types to be uploaded?

cgsweat
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

Not familiar with iphone, but I have used Apple computers back in the day. I'm assuming iphone produces video in .mov or .mpg format. As far as I know, this site uses mainly .mp4 types. Having said that, I don't know if Chainer can make an exception to this or not.

U-1
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

I'm thinking he means HEIF image files and H.265/HEVC video files

Chainer
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

Can you upload or email me (see email at bottom of page) a small sample clip of that format? I don't have an iphone myself.

fp909
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

the site prevents uploading quicktime files, so anything i save to my phone or record with it i have to transcode to put up.

Chainer
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

I assume this is not a file format that browsers can play natively?

In which case I have the choice of allowing it to be uploaded and then transcoding to mp4 server-side, with a loss in quality, or leaving it to users to do the transcoding pre-upload (which is what happens currently).

[deleted]
Apr 22, 2022 - permalink

Is there any way to allow iPhone file types to be uploaded?

I never can post my stuffs from my iPhone need to drop the quality saving from somewhere to download here … /; even as mp4 converted does not work.

tamarok
Jul 18, 2022 - edited Jul 18, 2022 - permalink

We can see how we can improve things, though one thing I’d suggest on the iPhone side is to configure the camera to use the “most compatible” setting. While it does not change the filename extension, it should make it easier of the server to process it, if we can make the change:

https://myphotoyear.com/iphone-camera-high-ef...

It should be noted that Chainer is developing solo, so common features from bigger sites will generally take more time to implement. It’s his sanity vs our wants.

BTW I just tried using “most compatible” mode and then changing extension from .mov to .mp4 on my iPad, but that wasn’t enough.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »