Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

New Natalie Portman Thor pic

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

With all the female superheroes in prior movies (Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman), I cant see them deciding to CGI just for Lady Thor. The definition is probably altered, the size is possibly legit.

Best case: she gets called out for it, and her and others try harder moving forward.

cgsweat
Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

So story-wise, somehow Natalie Portman's character (is she being called Thor now?) acquires Mjolnir (the hammer), and the original Thor gets an axe-hammer hybrid?

fp909
Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

well the hammer was shattered by Hela so the throughline of whether or not he is worth anymore is shot. i don't recall what they did with the pieces but I assume they're with the Avengers or New Asgard, reconstituted into the hammer for magic reasons and since Thor already has Stormbreaker, it found another friend.

Regarding Portman, she at least was in Thor when it sucked, I don't blame her coming back, especially since her character is mostly now always around in the comics and has her own title. it would be different if she was a custom character that had no comic tie in and no history. I don't blame her for wanting the bag now that the whole thing is a success. I wouldn't be surprised if her decision to leave had some influence on the Jane Thor run, tbh

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

@fp909: didn't Thor retrieve Mjolnir in Endgame, when he went back in time to Asgard to get one of the stones?

fp909
Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

@fp909: didn't Thor retrieve Mjolnir in Endgame, when he went back in time to Asgard to get one of the stones?

didn't Cap return it to the timeline so things wouldn't get messier?

The screencap does show that it has cracks so it makes sense if it was reforged

Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Seriously, some of y'all have got to stop complaining about how the women in these superhero movies aren't "big enough." If the top brass in Hollywood don't want it, it won't happen. Period.

That's a fact.

The same thing happened with She Hulk. No surprise there either. Tatiana Maslany is a superb actress though and so is Natalie Portman, but muscular and big, they are not.

The only thing that gives me a little hope that things might change a bit in Hollywood is Disney somehow letting the Luisa character in Encanto be not only physically strong, but actually BIG and MUSCULAR. Even though it's just a cartoon, that's a pretty major paradigm shift for a major top tier studio.

I think it's more significant than most of us even realize. They just made it "OK" for a female to be BIG, MUSCULAR and STRONG in the eyes of billions of people. Some good is going to come of that for sure. Wait and see.

fp909
Apr 19, 2022 - permalink

Mjolnir had to go too, though, otherwise Thor would not be brandishing Stormbreaker in this movie. It's an artifact missing from an alternate timeline that could cause problems. At least the way THEY wrote it, the timestream at the time was only one entity with no extended branches, so if he was missing Mjolnir in the past that would have been an issue (circa Thor 2)

Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

And let´s not forget the possibility of watching the Muscled version of Captain Carter´s Hayley Atwell in Multiverse Of Madness, as we saw in What If.

Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

well the hammer was shattered by Hela so the throughline of whether or not he is worth anymore is shot. i don't recall what they did with the pieces but I assume they're with the Avengers or New Asgard, reconstituted into the hammer for magic reasons and since Thor already has Stormbreaker, it found another friend.

The hammer she’s holding in the new trailer is covered in cracks, so it appears it’s the original Mjolnir, repaired somehow.

Apr 20, 2022 - edited Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

Seriously, some of y'all have got to stop complaining about how the women in these superhero movies aren't "big enough." If the top brass in Hollywood don't want it, it won't happen. Period.

It has less to do with the "top brass" and more to do with an A list actress like Natalie Portman having no desire whatsoever to get ripped. There have been far, far more muscular actresses in major Hollywood movies throughout the 90s, 00s and 10s. Linda Hamilton, Emily Blunt, Alicia Vikander, etc. Hell, Natalie herself looked better in Black Swan than she does here, but there's a big difference between what you might be willing to do for Darren Aronofsky vs some Marvel garbage.

Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

This mystery woman in the Thor helmet looks more like Kat Dennings than Natalie Portman. Maybe there's a twist somewhere. In the comics, Thor Odinson trying to figure out who the new Thor is was a big plot point.

fp909
Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

i doubt it, only because i think she'd want to put on the suit herself

Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

Natalie Portman is an amazing talent. I haven't seen "Black Swan", but I'd watch a film of her pouring water into a glass.

Apr 20, 2022 - permalink

Transformation?

Apr 21, 2022 - edited Apr 27, 2022 - permalink

I can see she is gonna be a new Brie Larson, saying she filmed all her stunts, dont have faith on the film, Ragnarok really sucked...

Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

What?! Ragnarok was the best of the three Thor movies and one of the better Marvel movies overall.

cgsweat
Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

I didn't know Marvel employed the Blue Man Group.

Apr 21, 2022 - edited Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

but there's a big difference between what you might be willing to do for Darren Aronofsky vs some Marvel garbage.

You'd do a hell of a lot more for that Marvel garbage because that's where the money's at. And the money made from that allows the actor the opportunity to do the occasional arthouse crap.

Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

The only thing that gives me a little hope that things might change a bit in Hollywood is Disney somehow letting the Luisa character in Encanto be not only physically strong, but actually BIG and MUSCULAR. Even though it's just a cartoon, that's a pretty major paradigm shift for a major top tier studio.

Thing is, studios like Disney are getting a hard time from activists for body positivity and body diversity. Now what those activists mean is "put more fat chicks in your movies", especially in positive, protagonist, get-the-hot-guy roles. So the studio agrees, but makes the body-diverse girl muscular instead of fat because a muscular girl is seen as more capable, more appealing, and more ablento get the hot guy.

Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

She has a poster too :)

Apr 21, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by lymon51
Apr 21, 2022 - edited Apr 21, 2022 - permalink

It has less to do with the "top brass" and more to do with an A list actress like Natalie Portman having no desire whatsoever to get ripped. There have been far, far more muscular actresses in major Hollywood movies throughout the 90s, 00s and 10s. Linda Hamilton, Emily Blunt, Alicia Vikander, etc. Hell, Natalie herself looked better in Black Swan than she does here, but there's a big difference between what you might be willing to do for Darren Aronofsky vs some Marvel garbage.

Are you serious? She looks much stronger than them.

Apr 25, 2022 - permalink

What?! Ragnarok was the best of the three Thor movies and one of the better Marvel movies overall.

It is the best in the series, certainly. But I don't have it in my top 5: 1. Infinity War 2. Spiderman No Way Home 3. Iron Man 4. Spiderman 2 (2004) 5. Endgame

« first < prev Page 2 of 4 next > last »