Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Good books about women's bodybuilding in social/artistic/cultural context?

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

The only book I've had the chance to read about this sort of thing is Picturing the Modern Amazon by Joanna Frueh. I know about Venus with Biceps by David L. Chapman, too, but have any of you come across other reading material that tackles historical/cultural ideas about muscular women?

Venus with Biceps is from 2011, and the Frueh book is over 20 years old. With how much fitness has changed, especially since social media took off, it seems like someone else would have tried to tackle this subject by now.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

I have chemical pink and iron maidens. I thought they were both good

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

That’s a very good question, the rise of Instagram has brought to attention girls who just want to be big and have no interest in competing, like Kristen Nun. Add to that the popularity of the wellness look as a generational ideal in places like Brazil, it would be an intriguing book.

Maybe a fictional story of a young athlete dealing with the pressure of feeling torn between being societally attractive and achieving a dream of being Ms Olympia. Of course coming from someone on this forum, it just sounds like a pitch for fetish fan fiction.

Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

I have chemical pink and iron maidens. I thought they were both good

Oh yeah, I forgot about Chemical Pink. What a great novel; I should read it again. IIRC the author, Katie Arnoldi, did competitions at one point herself.

There are a few photos of her on the site.

[deleted]
Apr 17, 2022 - permalink

I read Bodymakers: A Cultural Anatomy of Women's Body Building by Leslie Heywood back in college. I don't remember much about it, but I think it was interesting

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »