Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Bodybuilding and the video gaming world

Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

I am not sure if this is worth a discussion, I am wondering if there is any video gaming developer who is willing to develop a video game dedicated to the bodybuilding sport

Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

I doubt it, the potential audience for such a game would be so small that they would lose money. It might work as a visual novel, since that genre is generally considered for fetish stuff.

Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

How would a game like that work in guess it could be a simulation game personally what i like to see is a open world sandbox game where you play as a muscular goddess

you could do that in the saints row games but i got bored of it because the in game world is not diverse enough a few years ago i played on a weird hacked wow private server with a mod that made some characters muscular and gave you game master powers

the graphics where not as good as saints row but i really liked it because there was a lot of variation in the zones and the lighting effects looked great and i could control almost everything in the game

the downside was that players sometimes would bother you you could make your own phase that other players could not get into but they could still message you and when you logged in you had to join your phase first and other players could see you and that could take a minute

and the game was also very glitchy it would crash a lot or had game breaking bugs eventually they updated the server and the mods stopped working and i think they shut down the entire thing now.

[deleted]
Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

I don't think sport of bodybuilding translates well into a video game. But characters who happen to be bodybuilders in well written games is a possibility. Last of us 2 is an example. Character of Abby had body modelled by CrossFit athlete Coleen Fotsch. Great character. Won 2020 games award.

cgsweat
Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

The only way it gets done is if someone who is independent (not tied to a big brand name developer) and happens to have a passion for the sport does it and who also realizes the time and effort he puts into it would also have little to no payoff. He would have to take on this project for the sake of genuinely wanting to share this game with other people. And I doubt the game would be able to use any real life personas without their express consent, so that means you'd either have to have the option of creating your own person's appearance and picking a name, or select from a group of pre-made people.

From there I don't know where you'd envision taking it. The only way for it to be interesting for someone like me is to make it into a RPG-style game, where you would grind out your training and every so often "level up" your physique. And in the meantime you would need to budget the kinds of supplements you're taking and food you're eating. And I guess the actual competition could be something like choosing a set of poses to perform on stage and then watching your character hit those poses. My level of interest in something like this would depend on how well it is made, and this would be something I can only imagine expert game designers/programmers would be capable of.

I don't foresee any takers on this.

Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

There was Muscle March on the Wii, but that was comedic. One of the playable characters was female, however.

Bodybuilding itself is boring, time consuming, and doesn't make for a good video game format. One thing I can see working is a game similar to the princess or idol raising genre, where you train a bodybuilding girl into a champion. It'll be fetishistic for sure, but so are the princess/idol raising games (and not necessarily in a good way).

In general, the best way to showcase muscle women in games is to have them do something else with their muscles and strength: make them warriors, wrestlers, martial artists, or superheroes.

Abby is a terrible character. Not only is she a gonk even though her inspiration is beautiful, her inclusion pretty much ruined the franchise. It's all part of this trend of aggressively removing appeal from female video game characters for fear some incel somewhere will get a boner, when incel boners are why vidya is bigger than Hollywood. That and the MASSIVE break in story with what made the first game's story so compelling made TLOU2 a hard skip for me.

Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

Press F to perform another rep doesn't strike me as that engaging of a game

Apr 09, 2022 - edited Apr 09, 2022 - permalink

a few years ago i played on a weird hacked wow private server with a mod that made some characters muscular and gave you game master powers

Lol, that reminds me of a dream I once had, in which Final Fantasy XV had a DLC called "Kristy Hawkins Mode" that made Kristy Hawkins a playable character in the game (who could be unlocked after fighting her as a tremendously difficult boss). And she was massively OP compared to the main cast.

Apr 10, 2022 - edited Apr 10, 2022 - permalink

A few years ago there was a mobile game that was precisely about it - for both male & female characters, called "The Bodybuilding Game". It's pretty much defunct now, sadly. I recall seeing the full albums of the 2 female chars with all their size stages:

If you search "mobile games + bodybuilding" it can show you quite a few results. Also on DeviantArt, there are some programmers that have made such type of games (mostly clickfests, but they are worthy sometimes).

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »