Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

FBB March Madness-style tournament bracket

Mar 18, 2022 - permalink

In honor of the March Madness college basketball tournament, I was thinking if we could have a bracket-style competition in a similar fashion, with 64 female athletes divided into 4 groups, or regions, those being bodybuilding, figure, physique, and bikini/wellness.

This is the initial field that I came up with; I chose the names based on major wins that these athletes have had, such as Olympia and Arnold, followed by top 10 finishes, and popularity within this website. I decided to combine the categories of bikini and wellness, since wellness has only been around for a couple of years (at least in the United States), and it's basically a derivative from the bikini category.

Obviously there's gonna be a lot of debate here about my selections and seeding of these athletes. I left out a few of my personal favorites, such as Ranya Dally, Ashley Marie Lakomowski, Dianna Blanchard, Fafa fitness, Vivi Winkler, and so on. But I decided to go with those that have a documented competition history. Maybe for another time, we could do a similar bracket for fitness influencers on Tiktok, IG, so on.

But basically I did this initially a one-person effort to pick and rank these names, so all of you are free to debate and make suggestions of who you would include and leave out. But for the tournament itself, I wanted to have us vote on each matchup, 1 vs. 16, 8 vs. 9, 4 vs. 13, 5 vs. 12, and so on. Then the athletes with more votes move on to the next round and face the other winners, like the actual basketball tournament. This would go on until there's one winner.

I wanted to line this up with the actual March Madness timewise, with the first and second rounds this week, the third round and quarterfinals next week, and the Final Four and championship the week after that (6 rounds in total). But since I was a little late with this idea, and the basketball tournament has already started, it's OK if we start this a week later, so we can refine the names and seeding with other people's suggestions. And I'm also taking input if we should have this at 2 rounds a week, so there would be about 3 days for voting for each round, or if we should have it one round a week, and we would have 7 days of voting for each round. Let me know what you think!

Bodybuilding bracket

1. Iris Kyle
  2. Lenda Murray
  3. Cory Everson
  4. Kim Chizevsky
  5. Rachel McLish
  6. Andrea Shaw
  7. Yaxeni Oriquen-Garcia
  8. Juliette Bergman
  9. Heather Armbrust
  10. Alina Popa
  11. Laura Creavelle
  12. Betty Viana
  13. Dayana Cadeau
  14. Denise Masino
  15. Joanna Thomas
  16. Betty Pariso

Figure bracket

1. Cydney Gillon
  2. Nicole Wilkins
  3. Latorya Watts
  4. Davana Medina
  5. Jenny Lynn
  6. Erin Stern
  7. Monica Brant
  8. Heather Dees
  9. Larissa Reis
  10. Wendy Fortino
  11. Jessica Reyes Padilla
  12. Maria Luisa Baeza Diaz
  13. Bojana Vasiljevic
  14. Candace Lewis-Carter
  15. Lola Montez
  16. An Da Jeong

Physique bracket

1. Juliana Malacarne
  2. Shanique Grant
  3. Sarah Villegas
  4. Dana Linn Bailey
  5. Natalia Coelho
  6. Danielle Reardon
  7. Autumn Swanson
  8. Heather Grace
  9. Daniely Castilho
  10. Sheronica Henton
  11. Penpraghai Tiangngok
  12. Michaela Aycock
  13. Brooke Walker
  14. Anne Mohn
  15. Mindi O’Brien
  16. Karina Nascimento

Bikini/Wellness bracket

1. Ashley Kaltwasser
  2. Angelica Teixeira
  3. Francielle Mattos
  4. Isabella Nunes
  5. Angela Borges
  6. Yarishna Nicole Ayala
  7. Nicole Nagrini
  8. Nathalia Melo
  9. India Paulino
  10. Dianna Dahlgren
  11. Sunny Andrews
  12. Kassandra Gillis
  13. Narmin Assria
  14. Janet Layug
  15. Lauralie Chapados
  16. Julia Chitarra
Mar 18, 2022 - permalink

In honor of the March Madness college basketball tournament, I was thinking if we could have a bracket-style competition in a similar fashion, with 64 female athletes divided into 4 groups, or regions, those being bodybuilding, figure, physique, and bikini/wellness.

This is the initial field that I came up with; I chose the names based on major wins that these athletes have had, such as Olympia and Arnold, followed by top 10 finishes, and popularity within this website. I decided to combine the categories of bikini and wellness, since wellness has only been around for a couple of years (at least in the United States), and it's basically a derivative from the bikini category.

Obviously there's gonna be a lot of debate here about my selections and seeding of these athletes. I left out a few of my personal favorites, such as Ranya Dally, Ashley Marie Lakomowski, Dianna Blanchard, Fafa fitness, Vivi Winkler, and so on. But I decided to go with those that have a documented competition history. Maybe for another time, we could do a similar bracket for fitness influencers on Tiktok, IG, so on.

But basically I did this initially a one-person effort to pick and rank these names, so all of you are free to debate and make suggestions of who you would include and leave out. But for the tournament itself, I wanted to have us vote on each matchup, 1 vs. 16, 8 vs. 9, 4 vs. 13, 5 vs. 12, and so on. Then the athletes with more votes move on to the next round and face the other winners, like the actual basketball tournament. This would go on until there's one winner.

I wanted to line this up with the actual March Madness timewise, with the first and second rounds this week, the third round and quarterfinals next week, and the Final Four and championship the week after that (6 rounds in total). But since I was a little late with this idea, and the basketball tournament has already started, it's OK if we start this a week later, so we can refine the names and seeding with other people's suggestions. And I'm also taking input if we should have this at 2 rounds a week, so there would be about 3 days for voting for each round, or if we should have it one round a week, and we would have 7 days of voting for each round. Let me know what you think!

Bodybuilding bracket

1. Iris Kyle
  2. Lenda Murray
  3. Cory Everson
  4. Kim Chizevsky
  5. Rachel McLish
  6. Andrea Shaw
  7. Yaxeni Oriquen-Garcia
  8. Juliette Bergman
  9. Heather Armbrust
  10. Alina Popa
  11. Laura Creavelle
  12. Betty Viana
  13. Dayana Cadeau
  14. Denise Masino
  15. Joanna Thomas
  16. Betty Pariso

We could have a years' long debate over the women your selection committee snubbed.

With ALL due respect to the 16 terrific women who made the field, I don't know how they came up with a top-16 that doesn't include Helle Trevino and Margie Martin, both of whom are 2-time World Champions.

cgsweat
Mar 18, 2022 - permalink

Oh geez, and also competitors from different eras mixed in. Not sure about this one. Might also be better to focus on only 1 division, otherwise the debates are going to be pulled in every direction (or else users will favor 1 division and ignore the others) and you'll end up with nothing conclusive to work with.

Mar 18, 2022 - permalink

I did something similar to this a few years back on tumblr. I kept it strictly bodybuilders and physique competitors. I agree with above comment. You should probably separate the divisions, Physique and bodybuilders could be in one....but doesnt make much sense in my opinion to have fitness and bikini girls in there with them......btw...If I recall....out of 32 women, I think Aleesha ended up winning my tournament

Mar 18, 2022 - permalink

Yeah, thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Yeah, it's probably best to just have each division in its own bracket instead of combined. In that case, I might just have 32 names for each separate tournament perhaps. And yeah, I know I excluded Margie Martin and Helle Trevino; I guess I should have also included the Wings of Strength Rising Phoenix champions in the consideration too.

I'll work on a revised field for now, and then maybe we can start the tournaments next week. I'll try to have more defined criteria for my selection process.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »