Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Meri Taskinen was killed

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

I agree but the problem is what are we a civilized society

Being civilized has nothing to do with the death penalty. He deserves death.

Mar 03, 2022 - edited Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

This crime is horrific. And yet, there is a reason why Finland does things this way. It produces a better society overall.

Being civilized has nothing to do with the death penalty. He deserves death.

How will his death bring back Meri Taskinen? Or will it just satisfy the blood-thirst in you--analogous to his blood-thirst in killing Meri Taskinen? Nothing you do to the killer will bring back the life of this dead woman.

There's a reason why Finland has done things this way since 1889. That's right 1889, not 1989. It's not a result of modern wokeness or other such nonesense. They haven't had the same crime problems other places with the death penalty have. I bet it's never crossed your mind that it's this feeding of societal blood-thirst and this love of death that feeds the violent mentality that leads to heinus violence in society and crimes like this one. But that's too sophisticated a thought for some people.

Oh wait, I predict what you're going to say, "Tell that to her parents and loved ones!" "How would you feel if they killed your loved one?"

Here's my answer: I'd want to kill someone if they killed someone I loved. I'd want to brutally murder them the same way. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or will produce the best outcome. The mark of a man is when he forgoes what he feels like doing, and does the right thing despite it. The Finnish have figured that out. Maybe everyone else should learn from that.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

This is just heartbreaking. So horrible. Poor Meri.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by musclebox77
Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

It's horrifying that so many sick people are living among us. R.I.P.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

This is so sad. RIP Meri, thanks for the inspiration

Mar 03, 2022 - edited Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

There is absolutely no correlation between having the death penalty and crime. Prison or the death penalty is not really punishment for a crime, it's removal of the criminal from society to protect others from them. Those who murder or rape should be permanently removed from society they serve no practical purpose and should be euthanized promptly after conviction.

Two points:

1. I didn't mean to say all crime was correlated with death penalty. I was reffering to violent, henius crime is correlated to the death penalty. You will notice that if you read my post.
  2. A correlation does exist between murder and the death penalty.

Data: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-and-resear...

It makes perfect sense. A sick broken society that desires murder seeks it out. Either through doing it themselves, or empowering the state to do their murderous dirty work. In the latter case people get to moralize about protecting society.

But, enough of this. If you want to discuss the politics of the death penalty, we can do it in DM or in another thread. I know I won't change your position on it, because you won't care how much data I present.

This is my last post on the subject in this thread. I made my point. Further posts in this thread about the politics of the death penalty are disrespectful to the memory of Meri Taskinen. Whether the death penalty exists or not--nothing will bring her back to life.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

It's horrifying that so many sick people are living among us. R.I.P.

Not only living among us, but those closest to us. Murders are most often committed by those closest to the victim. You are more likely to be killed by a family member, lover, friend, or spouse than a stranger.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

There is absolutely no correlation between having the death penalty and crime. Prison or the death penalty is not really punishment for a crime, it's removal of the criminal from society to protect others from them. Those who murder or rape should be permanently removed from society they serve no practical purpose and should be euthanized promptly after conviction.

Yes permanently removed, by death. When you take another human being's life, you forfeit the right to your own. It is serious business. And by throwing someone in jail for "life" and feeding them on taxpayers dollars, you are saying that murder is no worse than dealing drugs or a DUI.

"murderous dirty work", that's a laughable statement that doesn't even deserve a response.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

Those who murder or rape should be permanently removed from society they serve no practical purpose and should be euthanized promptly after conviction.

^^^ this

Some people just so depraved that they can't be allowed to walk the Earth.

Mar 03, 2022 - permalink

Ať least put him in jail for life in my country some murderers Only get 3 years of jail Time and there Have been many cases of then murdering again when they leave jail

Mar 05, 2022 - permalink

So sad ! How old she was ?

[deleted]
Mar 05, 2022 - permalink

So sad ! How old she was ?

30 years

Mar 05, 2022 - permalink

Amen, brother!

This crime is horrific. And yet, there is a reason why Finland does things this way. It produces a better society overall.

How will his death bring back Meri Taskinen? Or will it just satisfy the blood-thirst in you--analogous to his blood-thirst in killing Meri Taskinen? Nothing you do to the killer will bring back the life of this dead woman.

There's a reason why Finland has done things this way since 1889. That's right 1889, not 1989. It's not a result of modern wokeness or other such nonesense. They haven't had the same crime problems other places with the death penalty have. I bet it's never crossed your mind that it's this feeding of societal blood-thirst and this love of death that feeds the violent mentality that leads to heinus violence in society and crimes like this one. But that's too sophisticated a thought for some people.

Oh wait, I predict what you're going to say, "Tell that to her parents and loved ones!" "How would you feel if they killed your loved one?"

Here's my answer: I'd want to kill someone if they killed someone I loved. I'd want to brutally murder them the same way. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or will produce the best outcome. The mark of a man is when he forgoes what he feels like doing, and does the right thing despite it. The Finnish have figured that out. Maybe everyone else should learn from that.

Mar 05, 2022 - permalink

Very sad news, does anyone have more details?

I don't really understand why a guy in his 50s would be carrying a knife

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »