Forum > Trans Women > Thread

Is the gender/sex controversy about trans athletes overblown by the media or do you think it will generate a corrective response?

May 24, 2022 - permalink

True, and doubly so in that these "progressives" are projecting on their critics their own lack of appreciation for the sports, athletes, preparation, and competition. Their priorities are "the message", milkshakes, and hitting the keyboards.

Out of the countless times that trans athletes have absolutely dominated their competition and effortlessly taken the first place spot due to their inherently superior genetics... what would you say are the three most glaring examples? I want to research these ultimate transgender champions.

May 25, 2022 - permalink

To me, the trans athlete doesn't have to score first place to show how lopsided it is in general to pit a (biological (have to always state the obvious)) male against a female.

The female U.S. National Team got beat by an under-15 boys team. The Williams sisters were taken down by 203rd ranked male player Karsten Braasch.

While weight lifter Laurel Hubbard crashed and burned at the Olympics, "her" ability to contend at age 43 was something afforded by "her" male biology whereas female Olympic weight lifters' prime is generally in their 20s.

The Lia Thomas fiasco is well known in the present.

Dishonorable mention goes to trans male Mack Beggs who, while competing against females, obviously had the unshared benefit of "his" hormone treatment.

I doubt trans cyclist Rachel McKinnon would be much of a challenge for "her" male peers whether they're doping or not.

NCAA track 'n' field athlete CeCe Telfer's record includes quite a few 1st places. On a high school level, trans runners Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood smoked their female competition.

I recently heard about trans skateboarder Lillian Gallagher taking first in a Red Bull competition, the 2nd place winner now arguing her case.

And what's wrong with thish picture here (answer: Hannah Mouncey)?

May 25, 2022 - edited May 25, 2022 - permalink

To me, the trans athlete doesn't have to score first place to show how lopsided it is in general to pit a (biological (have to always state the obvious)) male against a female.

The female U.S. National Team got beat by an under-15 boys team. The Williams sisters were taken down by 203rd ranked male player Karsten Braasch.

While weight lifter Laurel Hubbard crashed and burned at the Olympics, "her" ability to contend at age 43 was something afforded by "her" male biology whereas female Olympic weight lifters' prime is generally in their 20s.

The Lia Thomas fiasco is well known in the present.

Dishonorable mention goes to trans male Mack Beggs who, while competing against females, obviously had the unshared benefit of "his" hormone treatment.

I doubt trans cyclist Rachel McKinnon would be much of a challenge for "her" male peers whether they're doping or not.

NCAA track 'n' field athlete CeCe Telfer's record includes quite a few 1st places. On a high school level, trans runners Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood smoked their female competition.

I recently heard about trans skateboarder Lillian Gallagher taking first in a Red Bull competition, the 2nd place winner now arguing her case.

And what's wrong with thish picture here (answer: Hannah Mouncey)?

Thanks for answering, and those are some valid examples.

I got into it a bit on page one of this discussion, but I guess that I'd argue that - in the grand scheme of things - the impact of these trans athletes on women's sports as a whole is less than a rounding error. There are some notable cases here, but we literally have to dig out a bunch of high school athletes and fairly niche sports.

I mean, if it wasn't for Lia Thomas and Laurel Hubbard, do you hear a whole lot about women's collegiate swimming or Olympic powerlifting? Can anyone here rattle off their favorite college-level female swimmers?

Compare the miniscule impact here versus the OVERWHELMING political response with governors signing bills and church leaders losing their mind and school sports being turned into weird battlegrounds. Yet there doesn't seem to be an equivalent drive to give women's sports equal funding and respect (because... men's sports are more interesting, apparently) or to protect female athletes from the very real threat of sexual assault from their coaches and team physicians (which is depressingly common, but rape and assault is tolerated more than it should be across the board.)

So I'm not arguing that there's no validity to the controversy. There are some spectacular cases (maybe Lia Thomas) where a male athlete transitions into a profoundly more successful female athlete. And that's worth considering and potentially regulating. But I am arguing that the controversy is overblown for political purposes and many of the people spearheading it are far more anti-trans (and anti-LGBT in general) than they are pro-women. They could give a rat's ass about women's sports in general, but this particular issue gets their base angry and scores them political points.

May 25, 2022 - permalink

We may have to disagree on whether the controversy is overblown. I don't think it is when trans athletes have been allowed into women's sports on an Olympic and National level. I don't think it's overwhelming when the (in my location mostly) liberal media has treated it with a "stunning and brave" angle or else pussyfooted around a contrary stance. So I am less concerned about a person's motivation than I am with the end-result being competition kept between biological women.

If anything, I think the reaction to the naysayers has been the overreaction, which isn't surprising since these progressives are already prone to histrionics like "dead naming" or "denying existence" when someone does not share trans beliefs, instead jumping straight to the -ist and -phobe defense. Not everyone believes in Christianity or Islam but that doesn't mean that they hate Christians or Muslims.

Personally speaking, I've always made a distinction between LGB from the add-on "I walk in my truth" alphabets. I like seeing hot beach volleyball players and gymnasts, not so much the WNBA or soccer, but that doesn't mean I'll not voice an opinion when something unfair is happening in any of their arenas; and I applaud trans folk who similarly speak up in the cause of fairness and not stay silent because "community".

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »