Forum > Announcements > Thread

Screenshots, huge black or fuzzy borders, and other low quality images

tamarok
Feb 09, 2022 - edited Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

First off please remember we are trying to keep the standard of the photos uploaded here fairly high, so please keep that in mind when uploading. This philosophy frames how will judge pictures and what we remove.

To the topic, there are a number of image types which we consider low quality, including, but not limited to:

• screenshots
  • blurry images
  • images with lots of obnoxious text
  • images where a significant portion is actually black border or a fuzzy framing of the main content
  • upscaled images
  • collages with lots of images, but do also see the thread on the subject

This applies to videos too.

In certain cases months may go by before we notice an image with issues, unless in the upload queue, but in most cases the image is subject for removal.

The judgement lies with the moderators and the bar for rejection may drop when an uploader is consistently submitting borderline or poor quality content. So please follow the upload rules and guidelines, along with considering the comments on low quality uploads.

Chainer
Feb 10, 2022 - permalink

I'll move this to Announcements for visibility.

Feb 14, 2022 - permalink

Just as an added note, if you're going to edit a photo to crop it, please save the result as a .png. If you resave the edited version as a .jpg instead it'll lose some quality due to lossy recompression.

Also, if you need to cut out parts of a video to shorten it, there are usually ways to do that losslessly, with free programs, but I've already made a post about that.

Mar 26, 2022 - permalink

Just as an added note, if you're going to edit a photo to crop it, please save the result as a .png. If you resave the edited version as a .jpg instead it'll lose some quality due to lossy recompression.

On that note. If the original image is in jpg format, then it is not even worth editing the image further and saving that in png format. It does not end up as the same image quality as if the image was in png format to begin with.

Mar 27, 2022 - permalink

On that note. If the original image is in jpg format, then it is not even worth editing the image further and saving that in png format. It does not end up as the same image quality as if the image was in png format to begin with.

I literally don't know what you're saying. If it's in jpg format and you edit it, then yes save it as a png from the editing program, that's the entire point of what I said. Converting an existing jpg to png doesn't improve anything, but saving your edit as a jpg again will recompress it and make it worse, whereas a png will preserve exactly what you're looking at in the editing program.

Basically, everyone ignore what singlestooge said, they're the exact opposite of correct.

M76
Jun 05, 2022 - permalink

Also, if you need to cut out parts of a video to shorten it, there are usually ways to do that losslessly, with free programs, but I've already made a post about that.

That's a really bad take. Saving in PNG makes images huge, for negligible benefit in quality. I doubt you could even tell the difference between an edited image if it is saved in PNG or 85+% jpeg in a blind test. You are making 10x bigger images for what basically is a placebo effect.

But now I at least know why are there so many of those annoying pngs on the site, that takes ages to load.

Jun 05, 2022 - edited Jun 05, 2022 - permalink

I stand by what I said. It also makes it less likely for them to become degraded over time from getting passed around and recropped and such. I don't know if you're only looking at images on your phone or something (also, if png images take "ages" to load, I have to wonder if you're on dial-up).

2 days ago - permalink

I am attempting to upload images covering Natalia Trukhina's armlifting competition which took place at a hotel in the Crimea in 2014. Before I started I emailed to give administration an idea of what was coming.

I thought a linked sequence would give the younger/newer visitors to these pages a greater appreciation of Natalia's strength. The images were taken from the internet in 2014. They are inevitably low quality because of their age. Some of the images have been deleted on upload - no direct appeal seems possible and now my sequence is already shot!

I have text ready to paste to each image in sequence along with the usual sequencial links. It would be good if the 'uploader' was able to include the initial text with the upload. Any thoughts on that?

2 days ago - permalink

I don't know what "sequence" you're uploading, but if they aren't really worth looking at individually or are too similar to each other you're probably better off making a post on the forum for them.

tamarok
2 days ago - edited 2 days ago - permalink

@envallfan I just looked and the images you uploaded of her, that were deleted are all low quality screenshots. They aren’t even good screenshots. One is occupied 70% by a map and maybe 10% of it is an image of the athlete. Definitely more a forum thing than something for the main collection.

BTW the question was probably more suited for another thread: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread/...

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »