Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Why can't we scroll thru the same models gallery when we hit next?

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

Just like the title says. Why can't we scroll thru the same models gallery when we hit next? Or why isn't there a slideshow option?

[deleted]
Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

Good question!

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

That WOULD be awesome...

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

They should really make that possible

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

My name is TMack, and I approve this message.

[deleted]
Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

They would be a nice feature.

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

Favorites as well

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

Agree with favorites!

Feb 09, 2022 - permalink

Any mods have thoughts on this?

Chainer
Feb 10, 2022 - permalink

It used to be infeasible for a page to know which page you came from previously. For example, when you click "Next" on an image, it used to be impossible to tell whether you came from that model's gallery, or from your favorites listing, or somewhere else, and so it was not clear which image "Next" should send you to. As a result I defaulted to make it send you to Next/Previous by image posted date.

I did some research and it may now be feasible to do this because browsers support it now. I'm not completely sure though, and I'd have to make sure it works as I intend.

As for a slideshow feature, I have no plans to implement that right now, and you'd be best off downloading the pics and using slideshow software on your own computer.

Feb 10, 2022 - permalink

It used to be infeasible for a page to know which page you came from previously. For example, when you click "Next" on an image, it used to be impossible to tell whether you came from that model's gallery, or from your favorites listing, or somewhere else, and so it was not clear which image "Next" should send you to. As a result I defaulted to make it send you to Next/Previous by image posted date.

I did some research and it may now be feasible to do this because browsers support it now. I'm not completely sure though, and I'd have to make sure it works as I intend.

As for a slideshow feature, I have no plans to implement that right now, and you'd be best off downloading the pics and using slideshow software on your own computer.

I'm cool just browsing the same models gallery. If there's anything you need from us or something we can do let me know. I have no programming experience but will help with anything you need done.

Feb 18, 2022 - permalink

I always thought that was the sort of information that servers would put into those extra bits after the ? In the URL. Stuff like “nextmethod=personalfavorites” or “nextmethod=modelgallery” etc. I know that’s what we used to do in the old days to preserve the kind of information before cookies, and I think it’s popular again now that people are a little bit more leery of cookies even for a single site’s purpose.

Caveat: I am dinosaur.

Feb 19, 2022 - permalink

I work as a developer - albeit not primarily front-end - but I can say that this functionality is certainly possible. The Document referrer property allows me to see, for instance, whether I was redirected from the 2nd, 3rd, etc gallery page to a given picture therein. It is true, as Chainer says, that hitting "Next" then resets this property, however you should be able to store the required information in a number of ways. The originating pointer in the gallery could be stored (as oprahchai states) in the parameters of the URL's query string, a PHP $_SESSION variable (if you're using PHP), a JavaScript sessionStorage object (search w3schools prop_win_sessionstorage), or even just a cookie. Using whatever method you have available to return all the indices in a given model's Nth gallery/favorites page should then allow you to iterate over the list of images, replacing the Next URL dynamically. It's possible, as Chainer also says, that someone could have just come from anywhere though, so you could always fallback to the current behavior if no appropriate state is able to be constructed.

Anyway, I also support implementing this functionality. And thanks to the devs for creating what they have, this site has come a long way since it started.

Chainer
Feb 19, 2022 - permalink

Thanks for the ideas.

I always thought that was the sort of information that servers would put into those extra bits after the ? In the URL. Stuff like “nextmethod=personalfavorites” or “nextmethod=modelgallery” etc. I know that’s what we used to do in the old days to preserve the kind of information before cookies, and I think it’s popular again now that people are a little bit more leery of cookies even for a single site’s purpose.

This would work, except it would make almost all the links to pictures really ugly, with a bunch of crap following the actual important part that's not very relevant if you're copy pasting the link somewhere. Additionally, I'm not sure how much it would confuse search engines to have a ton of different URLs floating around that take you to the same pic, with only a minor difference (where the "prev"/"next" links go).

The Document referrer property allows me to see, for instance, whether I was redirected from the 2nd, 3rd, etc gallery page to a given picture therein. It is true, as Chainer says, that hitting "Next" then resets this property, however you should be able to store the required information in a number of ways.

Using the referrer header is a good idea, I didn't think of that. That said, it would only work if you're clicking on a thumbnail in the main image gallery, and not when, for example, you click on a thumbnail under "Most Commented" on the front page, since there is no way to tell just from the referrer which section of the front page you clicked on.

PHP $_SESSION variable ... or even just a cookie

These don't work because they are visible across browser tabs/windows, so the different pages would confuse each other. For example: You click on a thumbnail from "most commented" and then in a different tab a thumbnail under "most highly rated"; now the "next/previous" of the first image is messed up.

a JavaScript sessionStorage

Ah yes, this is the "fancy new tech" I was looking into when I said above that there might be a new way to do it. It seemed promising because unlike normal browser sessions, sessionStorage is confined to only a single tab, so it doesn't have the aforementioned problem with tabs confusing each other. I discovered unfortunately that if you middle click on a link to open a new tab, it doesn't transfer over the sessionStorage. This means if you open a thumbnail in a new tab, "next/prev" wouldn't work on that image.

That said, using some combination of these methods it's probably possible to cobble together something that mostly works. It's really ugly though. And error-prone, and possibly inconsistent.

Feb 19, 2022 - permalink

Using the referrer header is a good idea, I didn't think of that. That said, it would only work if you're clicking on a thumbnail in the main image gallery, and not when, for example, you click on a thumbnail under "Most Commented" on the front page, since there is no way to tell just from the referrer which section of the front page you clicked on.

To mitigate this you could implement a callback intercepting Document click events. I can't post links, but you can find robust solutions and discussions on Stackoverflow. An optional callback would allow you to properly maintain the state at all times.

These don't work because they are visible across browser tabs/windows, so the different pages would confuse each other. For example: You click on a thumbnail from "most commented" and then in a different tab a thumbnail under "most highly rated"; now the "next/previous" of the first image is messed up.

True, it would kinda work but very poorly.

Ah yes, this is the "fancy new tech" I was looking into when I said above that there might be a new way to do it. It seemed promising because unlike normal browser sessions, sessionStorage is confined to only a single tab, so it doesn't have the aforementioned problem with tabs confusing each other. I discovered unfortunately that if you middle click on a link to open a new tab, it doesn't transfer over the sessionStorage. This means if you open a thumbnail in a new tab, "next/prev" wouldn't work on that image.

I dunno about "new" lol, sessionStorage was broadly adopted in '06-'10 :P It's definitely the best solution, I agree. Intercepting middle click events on the Document as mentioned should also be a solution to the middle click new tab issue. You can open a new tab in js but then set some variable on the window opened with something like:

var thisIsAnObject = {foo:'bar'};

var w = window. open(...);

w. myVariable = thisIsAnObject;

tamarok
Feb 19, 2022 - permalink

Maybe this could be achieved via a iframe? The parent frame would represent them search context, while the inner frame the image page. To avoid looking like crap the page in the inner frame would need to hide its header. This could be done server side, given a page parameter or maybe there is css that can do that, but not aware if that is possible

Feb 20, 2022 - permalink

I'm not an expert at all, cannot suggest anything, but yeah it would be awesome to click on a model name and there the next button was just moving you through all her other media. Actually, I thought it was supposed to be working this way already (but not thinking about ttyt whole programming process indeed). If you can make it happen that would be really cool!

Feb 22, 2022 - permalink

I wish I understood what y'all are saying and help somehow.

cgsweat
Feb 22, 2022 - permalink

As with many suggestions, this one is pretty good and seems like it would be a good feature for the site. But as with most suggestions, this one takes a backseat to whatever Chainer is working on currently.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »