Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Gentle- film from Sundance.

[deleted]
Jan 29, 2022 - permalink

So, this has been getting some good notices, from the Sundance film festival- Gentle

"Edina, a female bodybuilder is ready to sacrifice everything for the dream she shares with her life partner and trainer Adam: to win the Miss Olympia. The odd love she finds on her way makes her see the difference between her dreams and her true self."

Starring Eszter Czonka.

[deleted]
Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Here's the trailer.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!!

[deleted]
Jan 30, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by [deleted]
[deleted]
Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Shemale ??

That's what you got out of that? One word? I'm sure even if you watched the full movie you'd only say this one word lol.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Reminds me I still need to watch Pearl sometime too.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

I am a cranky, miserable, film snob. Every film starring a female bodybuilder has been either really shitty or.. absolute dog shit (example: Nemesis)

But shit, judging from the trailer this looks not bad.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

The Nemesis movies did have at least some gratuitous FBB nudity.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Shemale ??

Haha. I any other forum except GWM this would be expected!! Reading it in here makes it funny and scary = interesting. Pleeeease explain!! 😊

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Why is it always the muscle worship fan that is portrayed as the bad guy in these fbb films but not the douchebag parter that gives the fbb ridiculous protocols and stacks? Dball for a female?

Lmao.. oh boy here we go.

Jan 30, 2022 - edited Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Why is it always the muscle worship fan that is portrayed as the bad guy in these fbb films but not the douchebag parter that gives the fbb ridiculous protocols and stacks? Dball for a female?

My takeaway from the trailer: Her goal is to compete in the Olympia but the cost of training and PED is so high that she needs to do sessions to make some money. The sessions creep her out and make her feel like a prostitute. Her partner/trainer is pushing her too hard. She meets some dude who treats her like a person and not some fetish object and falls in love with him.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Reminds me of the book "Chemical pink", which was going to be made into a movie, but never happened.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Where can I watch the movie?

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

The only type of female bodybuilding movie that I will watch involves a housewife that gets a new hobby which is bodybuilding and gets addicted to it and we see her awesome muscular evolution on screen as she progress and eventually wins the local competition.

[deleted]
Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Where can I watch the movie?

I think it picked up a distributor from the festival, possibly? So, it might get some sort of release this year.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

I am a cranky, miserable, film snob. Every film starring a female bodybuilder has been either really shitty or.. absolute dog shit (example: Nemesis)

But shit, judging from the trailer this looks not bad.

I liked double Impact but this may just be nostalgia.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

The female muscle worship fan isn’t portrayed as a villain, so to speak, but rather this shows that the protagonist here simply does not like doing sessions. Big difference. Trailer doesn’t show the fan doing anything “bad”.

Also, the trainer isn’t painted in a good light either.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Reminds me of the book "Chemical pink", which was going to be made into a movie, but never happened.

Wanted to like that book, but oof, the writing was not great. Wasn’t expecting Hemingway, but I gave up a quarter of the way into the novel.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

If you're an FBB you're gonna get 3 roles in a movie.

1. Most common, you're the buff henchwoman (see Cory Everson Double Impact). Man I loved that part where Cory dominated the other chick in that leather getup!

2. You're the punchline in a comedy. A dude thought he was picking up a not buff lady at a bar. Surprise, she was a FBB the whole time!

3. I'm adding a new category with movies like this and Pearl. It shows the struggles beyond the fantasy and shows us the darker seedy side of bodybuilding and how it can be a coping thing, going against societal expectations, etc etc.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

The only type of female bodybuilding movie that I will watch involves a housewife that gets a new hobby which is bodybuilding and gets addicted to it and we see her awesome muscular evolution on screen as she progress and eventually wins the local competition.

So..."Getting Physical"? A film that desperately needs a remake imho.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

Here is another girl who's gonna appear in the movie,some backstage shots. Tbh I dont have any problem with the main character, but IF I would've got the change to make the casting, I think my choice would be something like her, in the pics I attached. A more feminine bodybuilder would be a better representation and all in all a reason for a wider audience.

cgsweat
Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

I think my choice would be something like her, in the pics I attached. A more feminine bodybuilder would be a better representation and all in all a reason for a wider audience.

The director was probably going for a grittier and harsher look to fit the theme of the movie. Not to discredit the bodybuilder they did use as I'm sure she's normally at least decently attractive, but in the trailer she looked fairly rough in some of the scenes.

Jan 30, 2022 - permalink

The director was probably going for a grittier and harsher look to fit the theme of the movie. Not to discredit the bodybuilder they did use as I'm sure she's normally at least decently attractive, but in the trailer she looked fairly rough in some of the scenes.

Yeah, and I'm sure they went throught a lot of woman during the auditions, and probably she was the best choice considering the look, and decent acting skills

Jan 31, 2022 - permalink

Wanted to like that book, but oof, the writing was not great. Wasn’t expecting Hemingway, but I gave up a quarter of the way into the novel.

A half decent book in my opinion. Made me realise how perverted some schmoes are, quite shocking. The author wrote it all from personal experience, but i imagine there was a lot of "poetic licence".

Jun 11, 2022 - permalink

Where can i watch the full movie? Does anyone know?

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »