Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

How much can a female shoulders grow?

Jan 24, 2022 - edited Jan 24, 2022 - permalink

My gf has naturally narrow shoulders. She would like them to be a lot wider as she always was jealous of wide shoulders. How much can she increase their width by building shoulder muscles? Also are there any good examples of transformations/progress of muscle girls with naturally narrow shoulders to grow them wide?

Jan 24, 2022 - edited Jan 24, 2022 - permalink

To be clear, the concept of widening one’s shoulders is limited exclusively to how much mass you can add to your deltoids (“delts”), which are the muscle groups responsible for allowing you to articulate your arms at the shoulder. There is no possible way to widen your shoulders as far as bone growth is concerned. That part is largely genetics with a dash of environment (e.g. swimmers tend to develop wider shoulders in general if they trained before/during puberty).

She can look into exercises that target the shoulders/upper back, like face pulls, rows, and lat pulldowns etc., as training those muscle groups will give the appearance of a wider upper body.

It’s important to note that you should both have realistic expectations about how much is possible here. Even if she’s got good genetics, diet, and trains extensively, you can’t really change the frame you’ve got, so it is very unlikely she’ll get the kind of results you see on this site. Without PEDs, the deltoids are a notoriously hard muscle group to develop.

My two cents - if she’d like to focus on some muscle groups, that’s fine, but the healthiest option is just to to follow a balanced, total-body workout plan, start slow to build a solid foundation, and refine as necessary as results come in.

Jan 24, 2022 - permalink

Without roids shell never add a great deal to her shoulder width - at least not in the sense of them looking 'capped' etc

Jan 24, 2022 - permalink

Basically what Psster said.

Rows helped me quite a bit.

A woman with a small frame is going to have a hard time and progress will be slow (without PED)

Aug 23, 2022 - permalink

Anyone has pics how muscled shoulders look like on girls with naturally narrow shoulders?

My gf is not sure how it would actually look like if she focused on training them.(preferably a natty pic and a low roids pic) And if it's worth trying to grow them.

Aug 23, 2022 - permalink

Anastasia Blinova, a swimmer, has the most impressive shoulders I have ever seen on a woman.

Aug 23, 2022 - permalink

Anyone has pics how muscled shoulders look like on girls with naturally narrow shoulders?

My gf is not sure how it would actually look like if she focused on training them.(preferably a natty pic and a low roids pic) And if it's worth trying to grow them.

Let's start with the extreme. Ida Leo has very narrow shoulders and put on huge muscles. Still, the shoulders don't really grow except the deltoids. This even with - I assume - PEDs...

Above poster seems right: just work out hard with heavy weights. Also, she may not want to try to be skinny. If she builds some muscle naturally, and eats well, her shoulders will not only profit from the muscles, but also from a nice layer of fat around the deltoids, which will not look flabby because the muscles are tightening the fat. If she is the type that does not gain fat easily, it may be pretty hard and she may need to eat a lot.

Aug 23, 2022 - permalink

Pt. 2: Julia Stichenwirth seems pretty natural, and has not the widest shoulders. This is probably what you can expect after 1-2 years of hard training, and that would be it.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »