Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Female bodybuilders that openly discuss Mental/Emotional Struggles

Jan 19, 2022 - permalink

What are some examples of Female Bodybuilders and/or fitness women that have been open and honest about the fact that they struggle with mental/emotional health issues, anxiety, depression, body image issues and the like and see their bodybuilding as a type of therapy to help them? I remember when Tessa Barresi had her YouTube page she was very open about her mental health struggles and she used her training as a way to level out her mental and emotional balance.

cgsweat
Jan 19, 2022 - permalink

Pretty sure I've seen Paige Sandgren talk about it in length in several posts.

Jan 19, 2022 - permalink

Pretty sure I've seen Paige Sandgren talk about it in length in several posts.

She mostly posts about struggle with food addiction) binge eating. Which is also kind of mental health issue

[deleted]
Jan 19, 2022 - permalink

Shannon Seeley had an eating disorder. (Apologies for DailyMail link.)

Kortney Olson was anorexic too, but it appears excessive exercise was part of her disorder. She had a change of mentality that wasn't necessarily motivated by bodybuilding.

Emery Miller was a compulsive eater, got morbidly obese, then became a bodybuilder

Jan 19, 2022 - edited Jan 19, 2022 - permalink

They ought to take these stories of emotional lows overcome through bodybuilding, make a movie out of it, and show it every Christmas on Hallmark.

Jan 26, 2022 - permalink

Katie Lee talked about how Jiu Jitsu saved her life https://www.facebook.com/753720181412634/vide...

Jan 26, 2022 - permalink

I remember there was a documentary on FBBs where Dena Westerfield I believe was on there and she was crying for a bit how it was tough having to be strong all the time.

I also saw a video on Dana Lynn Bailey's YouTube channel a while back how she was getting in competition shape and she was having a real tough time of it.

fp909
Jan 26, 2022 - permalink

Katie Lee talked about how Jiu Jitsu saved her life https://www.facebook.com/753720181412634/vide...

This story is interesting because she was, more likely than not, introduced to the mats by her probably abusive ex, a BJJ black belt with at least one gym.

Interesting that she was able to continue doing it after she managed to remove him from her life. I’m not sure if the cause of her recent illness was in part from BJJ or not but it’s def a double edged sword considering the amount of training she was doing at the time.

Jan 27, 2022 - permalink

This story is interesting because she was, more likely than not, introduced to the mats by her probably abusive ex, a BJJ black belt with at least one gym.

Interesting that she was able to continue doing it after she managed to remove him from her life. I’m not sure if the cause of her recent illness was in part from BJJ or not but it’s def a double edged sword considering the amount of training she was doing at the time.

Social media time and time again shows alot of people appear to look happy/upbeat but in real life it's another story. Katie always seem to look very happy/confident always smiling but it was obviously all a façade.

What's interesting is she mentions BJJ not bodybuilding that saved her

fp909
Jan 27, 2022 - permalink

I kinda got clued in by her captions. I always get suspicious when peoples captions are overly positive rather than sometimes with your occasional honestly. A lot of pictures with sunglasses. A lot less physique posts. I’m not sure that he liked that she was a bodybuilder.

Mar 20, 2022 - permalink

Laura Richards suffers under severe form of depression.

It is heartbreaking to follow her postings: feels isolated and completely lost when she is in her "down" stage, and then she seems to be working herself out of depression again.She talks about bodybuilding as a kind of therapy, but at the same time openly talking about throwbacks.

There is also an interview with her on WOS, worth watching.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »