Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

BMI as a measure / comparison of women's strength

Jan 03, 2022 - permalink

Here's a fun thing I've starting doing to gauge more or less how strong the girls on this site are: calculate their Body Mass Index (BMI).

There is room for all sorts of fantasies of estimation in this niche for things like muscle size and height, and also things like difficult or mismatching picture angles also makes it hard to side-by-side compare two girls with like. Plus, height and bodyweight influences the amount of weight / reps a girl can lift as a measurement of strength. We've seen 1.50m shorties that can curl 15+ kg and some slimmer ladies do 20 pullups with relatively moderate effort.

Here's where BMI comes handy: you can use it as a way to "standardize" girls' body masses, and come with a number to compare two women (or even yourself) in terms of muscle mass. "Pound-for-pound" strength? Nope, just check their BMI. Plus, it's pretty easy to calculate: BMI = (weight in kg) / (height in m)^2 and you can do it in any calculator.

Usually, the number should be something between 18-25, with lower/higher being considered unhealthy, but remember: the girls here are all athletes of sorts. They will at least strive to keep low BF and maximize muscle, so >25 shouldn't be seen as overweight but rather a lot of muscle mass! (with perhaps the exception of extreme bulking in offseason FBBs)

So, like some girl in here? Find out her BMI and compare it to yours - is she stronger than you? How much? Here's some interesting and curious examples to get y'all started:

Sarah Hayes (BMI: 26.1 in competition, 28.32 offseason)

Sarah has the de-facto shape and size that comes to mind when you think Female Bodybuilding. Large, imposing muscles are everywhere, with a great smile to top it off. Also she hasn't given up unlike many others in her field. Her (amazing) offseason shape is about 10kg more muscular than my strongest physique (by BMI).

Emma Hartley (BMI: 22.76)

Wow, who knew, I always thought blondeyyy looked pretty skinny, but turns out she's getting almost as muscular as me!

Sarah Backman (BMI: 29.41)

Multiple-time world champion Swedish armwrestler turned WWF star. Though already very muscular, she beefed up considerably after leaving armwrestling (probably because the WWF doesn't put a weight restriction for classes?) and her BMI is almost a whopping 30! For a former clinically obese teenager, this transformation is nothing short of amazing.

For comparison, Sarah has 10kg more muscle than me in my strongest physique.

Sophie Arvebrink (BMI: 26.83 top)

A legend back in the day that unfortunately lost most of her deliciously muscular body mass after a few years to focus on a leaner shape instead. A pity, really, she must've emasculated lots of guys just joining the gym.

Fun fact: if Sophie was my height and kept her BMI constant, she would still have 3kg more muscle than me in my strongest physique.

Jaime Koeppe (BMI: 20.9)

Unbelievably gorgeous with killer natural curves, yet not very muscular when the numbers come in. Not a surprise, though: Jaime was sort of the "normie's first muscle girl crush" that caught attention with large glutes and legs and muscle definition instead of the volume and muscular arms and pecs we tend to like more here. Sadly, she left the spotlight to pursue some private matters.

Jordynne Grace (BMI: 27.34 billed)

Ok, leanness might be a bit of a factor here, but considering she competes and does a lot of pushups with that bw, that has got to be a huge amount of muscle.

Fun fact: I'd have to gain about 8kg of muscle just to match her in BMI today!

Cindy Phillips (BMI: 25.72 competition)

An "oldster" in the internet and one of my first idols (her offseason pics are unbeatable!). I thought she was "larger" in both ways before this research, but still packs a very impressive muscular frame.

Like most of the previous girls, I was never able to match Cindy's muscularity BMI-wise even when I lifted weights seriously, despite being both taller and heavier than her.

And who do you think is the strongest of all that I saved for last? Any bets?

Gabriela Vasconcelos (BMI: 33.26!!!)

Holy shit, what a powerhouse in armwrestling! Talk about a short frame packing insane amounts of muscle. I haven't even got to searching how big her arms are and she's already 8 points above the "normal" BMI range in people.

Just for comparison: an average height man (1.75m) would have to weight 101 kg in order to only match Gabriela's muscularity! I myself would have to gain 25kg of muscle (a small child's weight) just to match her!

And there you have it!

Have you ever been curious about how muscular a girl is? Well, now you have a way to baseline and compare yourself against her! The hard part is getting accurate height/weight data from the internet (one source, for example, stated Emma Hartley was 1.70m tall at 70kg!)

Post in this thread other girls with interesting / surprising BMI values, and compare them with other girls mentioned here.

Jan 03, 2022 - permalink

Thank you for your research and this thread!

Jan 03, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Jan 03, 2022 - permalink

BMI on it's own is about as relative to a person's body composition as the colour of their underware. I've had a number of health professionals, and a few fitness trainers, say they believe BMI was invented by health insurance companies to allow them to refuse coverage, or charge more based on arbitary ratings. I know many examples where it's proven to be completely inaccurate.

Jan 03, 2022 - permalink

Sarah backman is crazy big especially considering how lean she is

Dec 22, 2023 - permalink

Vladislava got a bmi around 26. ~ 175cm 80kg

Melinda’s is around 30. ~ 162cm 80kg

Mine is 27 in comparison. Would need to gain 12 kg of muscle to match hers. That’s crazy

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »