Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Gym Complaint / Question

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

This is going to get off-topic, and also a little controversial.

I go to a gym with a trainer, which means that wearing a head set would make no sense (which is relevant here), and it's a perfectly good one except for one thing - the music is almost constantly gangsta rap. Maybe I'm using the term too loosely, but you probably know what I mean - the endless "n-----" this and "n-----" that kind. And you don't have to be the greatest non-bigot in the world to consider that stuff garbage, whether it's coming from whites or blacks. And the place is nearly all white - probably including the owner and management, though I'm not sure - so it's not like I'm attributing it to the few black members at all, since it's not like they have any say in it. And I'm afraid the only complaining I've done has been a sarcastic Yelp review, since it's hard to think that complaining directly would do any good. Anyway, every time I go there, I decide it should be the last time, because that's how much I hate the stuff. Even if it weren't a good gym, I never thought I'd want to leave a place that has FBBs in it, but that gives some idea of my attitude about the other thing! I guess I'm bringing it up partly as one of those "What would YOU do?" situations.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

It wouldn’t hurt to email management about your complaint. There’s always a chance that you’re not the only one feeling this way.

And if they don’t make any changes, vote with your wallet. You can leave a gym for any reason, and like I said before you’re not the only one who has raised this issue before (I read about the same situation on another forum.)

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

I'd rather they not play anything, personally, or keep it to background levels.

Ask them to dial the volume down if they won't change it. Anyone who wants their eardrums blasted should be plugging into a personal device anyway.

Non sequitur: one gym bro, who I saw only once, had his phone blasting some sort of crap and after each set he'd back up some 6 feet onto the track and stretch/flex/whatever for a minute.

Some peoples children were never taught manners.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Different people like different things. We learned this in 3rd grade. Even if they do change it to whatever your favorite genre is, a dozen people will complain and want that changed.

You can try "reporting" it, but I don't expect anything will come of it. Learn to tune noise out.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Build a home gym.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Yea welcome to the 21st century where most music sounds like torture I have to watch most videos on here on mute but sometimes they do have good or interesting sound but I dont know it because it's usually junk if it's a old video I like to put the sound on but sometimes they even replace the original sound with dubstep or mumble rap.

cgsweat
Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

I'm an introvert by nature and so I learned a long time ago that a public gym environment isn't for me. You might be better off with a home gym, as Serotonin pointed out.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

IF you concentrating on the type of music playing in the gym.....are you really concentrating you your workout?????

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

IF you concentrating on the type of music playing in the gym.....are you really concentrating you your workout?????

There’s such a thing as resting between sets, dude.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Same here. My favorite time is when the radio is broken. If you like music, feel free to listen to some on your phone with some ear buds.

I'd rather they not play anything, personally, or keep it to background levels.

Ask them to dial the volume down if they won't change it. Anyone who wants their eardrums blasted should be plugging into a personal device anyway.

Non sequitur: one gym bro, who I saw only once, had his phone blasting some sort of crap and after each set he'd back up some 6 feet onto the track and stretch/flex/whatever for a minute.

Some peoples children were never taught manners.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

This is going to get off-topic, and also a little controversial.

I go to a gym with a trainer, which means that wearing a head set would make no sense (which is relevant here), and it's a perfectly good one except for one thing - the music is almost constantly gangsta rap. Maybe I'm using the term too loosely, but you probably know what I mean - the endless "n-----" this and "n-----" that kind. And you don't have to be the greatest non-bigot in the world to consider that stuff garbage, whether it's coming from whites or blacks. And the place is nearly all white - probably including the owner and management, though I'm not sure - so it's not like I'm attributing it to the few black members at all, since it's not like they have any say in it. And I'm afraid the only complaining I've done has been a sarcastic Yelp review, since it's hard to think that complaining directly would do any good. Anyway, every time I go there, I decide it should be the last time, because that's how much I hate the stuff. Even if it weren't a good gym, I never thought I'd want to leave a place that has FBBs in it, but that gives some idea of my attitude about the other thing! I guess I'm bringing it up partly as one of those "What would YOU do?" situations.

Fair criticism. I'm a headphones or earbuds guy, but even if I wasn't, it sounds like that wouldn't be the right environment for me to pay for. Gyms only need background music, if that, and they should consider playing the sort of blend most of their clients would like. But if what you're hearing is what the women want, then that's what they're going to play.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Fair criticism. I'm a headphones or earbuds guy, but even if I wasn't, it sounds like that wouldn't be the right environment for me to pay for. Gyms only need background music, if that, and they should consider playing the sort of blend most of their clients would like. But if what you're hearing is what the women want, then that's what they're going to play.

Yes. I think rap sucks and is the worst music on the planet. But if a good looking lady or FBB suggests it, they are gonna play it all the time, even if someone complains about it.

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

Probably no one has piped up and made a complaint, but I reckon several other members feel the same way.

IMO, music should be at a background level and shouldn't be offensive (like gangster rap or hardcore metal).

Headphones or Ear Buds should be your go-to. Trainer or not. Let him/her show you the move, then put them on and do your sets and reps with them giving input in-between sets (if at all).

If all else fails mate, leave. Go find a clean, well-equipped gym that's basically quiet.

Good luck in your search. :-)

cgsweat
Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

IMO, music should be at a background level and shouldn't be offensive (like hardcore metal).

Personally I'd disagree, but I understand that not everyone gets it. 🙂

Dec 15, 2021 - permalink

I would find it hilarious if a gym just decides to play chiptunes lol.

Dec 16, 2021 - permalink

Personally I'd disagree, but I understand that not everyone gets it. 🙂

Metallica, Man O War, Iron Maiden, Five Finger Death Punch are heavy rock and great for training.

Korn etc where the singer essentially screams an entire song is not.

Dec 16, 2021 - permalink

I would find it hilarious if a gym just decides to play chiptunes lol.

I won't say it's true of ANY kind of music, but I'm willing to sit through ALMOST any kind that isn't full of that moron N-Word!

Some of us have a simple rule (maybe TOO simple), and that's that if a white who's hooked on it sounds like a moron, a black who's hooked on it sounds like a moron.

Dec 16, 2021 - permalink

Probably no one has piped up and made a complaint, but I reckon several other members feel the same way.

IMO, music should be at a background level and shouldn't be offensive (like gangster rap or hardcore metal).

Headphones or Ear Buds should be your go-to. Trainer or not. Let him/her show you the move, then put them on and do your sets and reps with them giving input in-between sets (if at all).

If all else fails mate, leave. Go find a clean, well-equipped gym that's basically quiet.

Good luck in your search. :-)

Thank you. You're probably right.

Dec 17, 2021 - permalink

If it's so loud you can't concentrate, it's a problem.

Me personally, I'd probably just find another gym. I lifted at a Y for a few years. Nice wholesome environment and no one was blasting gangsta rap.

Dec 17, 2021 - permalink

There’s such a thing as resting between sets, dude.

If you are putting 100% in to every set your rest periods are focusing on controlling your breathing and recovery not the bullshit playing through the speakers

Dec 17, 2021 - permalink

I ran into the same issue last year. I brought the issue up to management and was ignored. I pointed out they have "family fitness center" advertised on their windows. And then cancelled my membership

Dec 17, 2021 - edited Dec 17, 2021 - permalink

Mine is next-door to a pre-school! And, no, I'm not joking, and often the doors and windows are wide open, so I wish the people THERE would make trouble.

Dec 17, 2021 - edited Dec 17, 2021 - permalink

Completely get ya on this post! I've often wondered why this is the background music choice on many a FBB shortvid here (and just about everywhere else you can find them) - to me, it's crap. But then again I'm not the type that would share my own tastes in music with those around me that I don't know, and something about that stuff compels its listeners to blare it brazenly for all the world to hear no matter where they're at - for example in a Walmart parking lot over car speakers that can produce a sonic boom but are poorly-installed so they rattle like a mess - almost in defiance of exactly your position on it. The sought-after effect seems to be "IDGAF and what you gonna do about it?" To me it says something about the personality of the listener.

I've quit a gym for less. Well, I don't know if I'd call it a 'gym', per se. But speaking of Planet Fitness, uhm - yeah, was in the locker room shortly after getting a membership and asked the guy cleaning the room, "Hey, I didn't see a scale anywhere on the floor, and there isn't one in here, is it hiding somewhere?" He said, "YYYEAAHH, we don't have those because our members might find them intimidating, so." I said, "Are you serious?" He enthusiastically said "Mm-hmm!" while nodding and blinking at me.

There was an awkward 2-3 seconds of silence and then I said, "Ok, alright. I'm done with this place."

Dec 30, 2021 - permalink

Completely get ya on this post! I've often wondered why this is the background music choice on many a FBB shortvid here (and just about everywhere else you can find them) - to me, it's crap. But then again I'm not the type that would share my own tastes in music with those around me that I don't know, and something about that stuff compels its listeners to blare it brazenly for all the world to hear no matter where they're at - for example in a Walmart parking lot over car speakers that can produce a sonic boom but are poorly-installed so they rattle like a mess - almost in defiance of exactly your position on it. The sought-after effect seems to be "IDGAF and what you gonna do about it?" To me it says something about the personality of the listener.

I've quit a gym for less. Well, I don't know if I'd call it a 'gym', per se. But speaking of Planet Fitness, uhm - yeah, was in the locker room shortly after getting a membership and asked the guy cleaning the room, "Hey, I didn't see a scale anywhere on the floor, and there isn't one in here, is it hiding somewhere?" He said, "YYYEAAHH, we don't have those because our members might find them intimidating, so." I said, "Are you serious?" He enthusiastically said "Mm-hmm!" while nodding and blinking at me.

There was an awkward 2-3 seconds of silence and then I said, "Ok, alright. I'm done with this place."

Sorry for quoting your whole post. Re the music choice for tiktok etc...it's probably because it sells. You go with what the buying public want not your choice

The ladies in question might enjoy "Roger Whitaker" or "Richard Claiderman", but that wouldn't sell.

:-)

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »