Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Disney Plus Live Action She Hulk

« first < prev Page 8 of 13 next > last »
Aug 14, 2022 - permalink

I'll wait until the series airs and if guys in the thread recommend it, then I'll give it a watch.

Aug 14, 2022 - permalink

Guys please stop the political meltdown or they will lock the thread.

Aug 14, 2022 - permalink

Agreed, knock it off with the unrelated political derails

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

I assume they're still fiddling around with the CGI, let's wait and look at the actual show before judging it. And yes, as others have pointed out, Shulkie doesn't look that massive in the comic books. In official media, she's never going to look like she does on the fan-pages, guys. I know I whined earlier, but that was more a complaint that they made her too skinny than anything else.

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

I'm assuming that the CGI is finalized now, considering that the show premieres in three days.

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

I'm assuming that the CGI is finalized now, considering that the show premieres in three days.

Part of me wants to wait until all of the episodes are available before I watch it while avoiding spoilers and reviews.

I don't know if any of you are He-Man fans, but the recent adult-oriented cartoon on Netflix would have been much more enjoyable for me if I never saw any of the usual suspects on YouTube and Twitter bashing it by taking things out of context.

fp909
Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

Finalized but probably not stellar. Just acceptable enough to premiere.

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

It's worth remembering that this She Hulk show is being made as a sit-com. The main writer and director both come from TV comedy backgrounds.

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

Smallville was made as a teen drama, and the series - while extremely popular - was still duly taken to task for its poor production values.

fp909
Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

Smallville was made as a teen drama, and the series - while extremely popular - was still duly taken to task for its poor production values.

They had a lot less work to do though. He didn't fly, only really had to do strength, speed, heat vision, and the occasional cold breath, especially in the earlier seasons. They got appropriate flak for some of the MOW powers but those can be forgiven; those might be one off effects that are never seen again (or maybe recycled down the line) but I recall Clark's power set looking good for most if not all of the show since hey had to use that stuff all the time.

If they have no plans for a S2 of She-Hulk it would make sense to not really invest in making it look top notch, especially what I've heard about how Disney/Marvel treats their post-houses.

Aug 15, 2022 - permalink

They had a lot less work to do though. He didn't fly, only really had to do strength, speed, heat vision, and the occasional cold breath, especially in the earlier seasons. They got appropriate flak for some of the MOW powers but those can be forgiven; those might be one off effects that are never seen again (or maybe recycled down the line) but I recall Clark's power set looking good for most if not all of the show since hey had to use that stuff all the time.

If they have no plans for a S2 of She-Hulk it would make sense to not really invest in making it look top notch, especially what I've heard about how Disney/Marvel treats their post-houses.

They're already confirming a season2 and her in future movies.

Aug 16, 2022 - permalink

@fp909 That goes in line with your "just acceptable enough" premise. Which is exactly why the trailers are being criticized.

Most people are probably unaware of how raw a deal Disney/Marvel's post-houses get, you're right about that, but they're not the ones getting the blame anyway.

Aug 18, 2022 - edited Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

First Episode....first 8min alone were stellar! This series is going to be gooood.

fp909
Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

@fp909 That goes in line with your "just acceptable enough" premise. Which is exactly why the trailers are being criticized.

Most people are probably unaware of how raw a deal Disney/Marvel's post-houses get, you're right about that, but they're not the ones getting the blame anyway.

it's not just Disney, creative in tv has always had issues with this. literally cannot tell you how many projects have changed looks or something needed to go outside of our control like a week before air and stuff had to change fast, and often it didn't look as good.

Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

They're already confirming a season2 and her in future movies.

Really? Wow I'm surprised by that considering they haven't even seen how it will do yet...

Even though they made some creative decisions I don't agree with, I'm still excited and happy to see this finally happening. I have been waiting to see She-Hulk on TV or in movies since I first discovered her in the comics when I was 9 years old in the early 80s.

fp909
Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

i really don't think that they would make all these series without the intention of either bringing them together for a feature or having them in a feature. She-Hulk has been on the Avengers roster before, and Ms. Marvel has been on Young Avengers with Hawkeye, America Chavez, and one of the Viz Kids.

cgsweat
Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

i really don't think that they would make all these series without the intention of either bringing them together for a feature or having them in a feature. She-Hulk has been on the Avengers roster before, and Ms. Marvel has been on Young Avengers with Hawkeye, America Chavez, and one of the Viz Kids.

Yeah, Netflix tried that and we see how that turned out. Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones were all great shows. Iron Fist turned out to be garbage. Then they combined them for 1 season of "The Defenders," which wasn't bad. But each character for the most part had strong starts. I guess the only reason it 'failed' is because of Disney buying out Marvel. But the point is I'm not seeing promising shows (She-Hulk and etc.) that measure up to the likes of the ones I just mentioned.

Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

So far, it seems people like it. I'm not a big fan, tbh. She-Hulk doesn't seem all that likable to me. Maybe that'll change.

fp909
Aug 18, 2022 - permalink

Netflix didn't really have the "cohesion" that Marvel does now. Not that it's all great, it's mostly mediocre, but it didn't fit into their larger plan. I think they struck gold with JJ and DD, but Luke Cage was just ok, and Iron Fist was a joke. But TBH I think both JJ and DD are MUCH better source characters than the other two.

Ms Marvel already has her own title shot, and so does She Hulk, and Hawkeye. All three are now introduced on the smaller screen. America Chavez was maybe a mistake in the way they intro'd her but now she's in too and getting trained. I really don't think they need the shows to be GREAT. There are audience segments that will like them, and most probably wont, but as far as phase 4 is concerned this is doing a lot of legwork to get people invested in newer (and less mainstream) characters without having them just show up in the middle of the movie, which is a pet peeve of mine in modern entertainment.

Aug 20, 2022 - permalink

The opening of the first episode seemed like a meta reference to the 1970s Hulk TV show, with the auto accident, etc. That could just be me looking for connections I want to see, but the way it was shot was VERY reminiscent of the car crash that kills David Banner's wife in the pilot for that show.

https://youtu.be/zXbqr9s_oXk

Aug 20, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
Aug 20, 2022 - permalink

The opening of the first episode seemed like a meta reference to the 1970s Hulk TV show, with the auto accident, etc. That could just be me looking for connections I want to see, but the way it was shot was VERY reminiscent of the car crash that kills David Banner's wife in the pilot for that show.

https://youtu.be/zXbqr9s_oXk

I thought the same.

Aug 20, 2022 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
Sep 02, 2022 - permalink

We're up to the third episode. I was ready to tap out after the first, which unfortunately turned out to be the best, but forced myself to keep watching. Just to give people an idea of where I'm coming from, I liked Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black and think the Harley Quinn animated series is very funny. This is supposed to be a comedy, but only has a handful of mildly, humorous moments. The main character is whiny and neurotic, and the plot so far not particularly compelling, though it does look as though the main story-line has just started. Animated muscle doesn't do anything for me, but if you enjoy that you're still likely to be disappointed. The first episode has the feats of strength, CGI muscles, and a bit of action mostly covered in the trailer. Except for a brief fight at the end of episode three, there's no further action, and she sticks with a suit in hulk and human form, so no visible muscle. Getting the impression that they spent half the CGI budget in episode one and now they're rationing it. It's not that the show is overtly bad, it's just boring.

cgsweat
Sep 02, 2022 - permalink

Ep. 1 wasn't too bad, and for me I enjoyed some parts. There were a couple of cringe-inducing scenes in it though. Ep. 2 was completely boring. Haven't seen Ep. 3 yet.

« first < prev Page 8 of 13 next > last »