Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

I got beat by a chick in arm wrestling in seconds

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

I understand arm wrestling is somewhat technique. But we were both sitting down and had no special knowledge. I got pinned so fast I couldn't believe it. It could not have been more than 5 seconds.

I wonder, how much stronger are you than someone if you beat them that fast? Like in terms of lifting power?

Also, we were both 18 when it happened, and it was 4 or 5 years ago. I wonder if she'd still be stronger today? Like what's the likelihood.

any insights are greatly appreciated.

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

The difference between someone who trains and who doesn't is huge,after the first month of training I almost doubled the weights I trained with for example,also girls at 15/16 are already at their peak while boys need 2/3 years more,in fact girls may be stronger than guys at 14/15 years

Nov 01, 2021 - edited Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

My twenty something female distant cousin slammed my 16 year old cousin male cousin in a few seconds. She lifted at that time and was a gymnast as a young girl, he was just starting out lifting. Her bicep was as hard as a rock and probably around 13 or so inches. She weighed around 130 and so did he.

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

I understand arm wrestling is somewhat technique. But we were both sitting down and had no special knowledge. I got pinned so fast I couldn't believe it. It could not have been more than 5 seconds.

I wonder, how much stronger are you than someone if you beat them that fast? Like in terms of lifting power?

Also, we were both 18 when it happened, and it was 4 or 5 years ago. I wonder if she'd still be stronger today? Like what's the likelihood.

any insights are greatly appreciated.

Lifting and practical strength don't translate easily. I used to date a girl whom I could outlift by a mile, but I didn't stand a chance against her at mercy or armwrestling.

Lifting and practical strength don't translate easily. I used to date a girl whom I could outlift by a mile, but I didn't stand a chance against her at mercy or armwrestling.

I've heard this opinion before, but I would call into question the extent to which it's true. If you're arm wrestling standing up, you can execute more technical leverage moves. But if it's A) two untrained people B) both sitting down, I would say it's about 80% strength (or more) at that point.

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

It's not a guess it's my personal experience: my lifts were close to twice those of hers. Yet, when it came to armwrestling or pull ups or other altheltic feats like that she it was the other way round.

It's not a guess it's my personal experience: my lifts were close to twice those of hers. Yet, when it came to armwrestling or pull ups or other altheltic feats like that she it was the other way round.<

I feel silly pushing too much on this in a forum like this, but I'm having a hard time believing this. The pull-ups are irrelevant because they relate to body weight (which differs from person to person). When you arm wrestled this person, were you both sitting down? Was the some markedly different technique she was employing? Saying "technique matters a lot" seems to carry a lot of weight for some people, but it seems like it has very limited explanatory power when it comes to average joes who sit down to arm wrestle.

Like, if you get your ass completely crushed in arm wrestling, and the next minute there was an expert team of arm wrestling experts there to consult you, I don't think there's anything they could tell you that would have you able to not only improve, but outright WIN (after just being completely crushed in seconds). I just don't believe it could happen. Especially if the contest was conducted while SITTING rather than standing. Just can't see it ever happening, not even one time.

cgsweat
Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

Not unless you somehow naturally have arms/hands like Jeff Dabe.

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

Well you can take my story or leave it. We were both seated when armwrestling, there was no magic technique she used, cause she didn't have a clue about armwrestling. And yet she barely benched 40 kg (on her first and only try), to my 70-80. Can't remember her other lifts.

On the other hand you can easily find vids of big fbbs losing armwrestling to out of shape guys who would probably barely lift half what the fbb could.

Nov 01, 2021 - permalink

Relax, my gf beats me everytime :D

Nov 06, 2021 - permalink

Probably have weak grip strength, doing martial arts like Judo/Wrestling/BJJ will help with gripping/grabbing

Men need to focus more on learning how to fight/grapple than lifting heavy weights.

Nov 06, 2021 - permalink

My friend,one of my girlfriends could break your arm by slightlty twisting your wrist and slamming you down. And you know what? She loved her muscles. This is not just a story.

Nov 06, 2021 - permalink

Weak forearms/wrists you need to do more tricep exercises, pull ups, chin ups etc

Nov 06, 2021 - permalink

Reminds me of this happening to me in highschool I have always had weak arms from my lazy life style and in high school I was forced to do a lot more sports than I do now recently I am trying to do push up against the wall (I can't even do proper pushups) but it seems to have no effect after doing 50 a day for the last 3 months.

cgsweat
Nov 06, 2021 - permalink

I am trying to do push up against the wall (I can't even do proper pushups) but it seems to have no effect after doing 50 a day for the last 3 months.

You should probably start off by getting in a pushup position on the floor and trying to do them on your knees. I believe planks also help. Once you build more strength you can start trying real pushups, and even if you can't do the full range of motion, practicing what you can do will eventually get you there.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »