Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Why are there so many jacked nurses?

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

It seems nurses are significantly over-represented in muscle and fitness. Assuming this is the case (though I suppose one can feel free to dispute it), the question is why? I have my own guesses.

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

To cure the patients with pleasure therapy i guess 😅

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

Not sure about any raw numbers but it may have something with our perception bias due to browsing this very website and social media platforms so we may overestimating their numbers. Not that I'm complaining about it - quite the opposite - but working in the medical field with said nurses, I can say that they just come in many forms, reflecting society at large (At least here in the UK). IMO, You can't really draw out a standard nurse profile.

That being said, and given the mental and physical challenges of the nursing environment - COVID situation aside - it comes as no surprise a great deal of them would be involved in exercising as both about keeping fit and also as a sort of catharsis with regards to the stress hospital life would generate.

It is also my impression that lifting nurses may be more likely to use social media than their counterparts.

[deleted]
Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

I guess medicine and nursing generally attract more people who are high in conscientiousness, which is also a trait that predicts interest in fitness and sports in general. So that's my explanation.

You also see a lot of fbb's who are firefighters, policewomen, construction workers, etc. All jobs are for people who are very conscientious.

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

Nurses also work more interesting schedules so it's a great job to have if you want to feel like you own your own time.

Instead of 3 "12 hours days" a week, you get 2 more days for training and living your life. Same with working weekends or nights. Get the gym all to yourself.

I've personally noticed Nurses who don't train tend to just have big calves which... I think is pretty awesome. Lol that's more a guess than anything though.

[deleted]
Sep 26, 2021 - edited Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

My gf's mom is a nurse and she is kind of jacked too. Not visiting gym, not even close to girls here, but naturally big and looks strong. She do a lot of farming work too, so may be that is why she looks strong.

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by damagecontrol
Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

I read a muscular (natural fit) nurse talked about that also that way it was easy to "move" patients, in bed for example.

Sep 26, 2021 - permalink

There are far more personal trainers than nurses. Could be more accountants as well for all we know. It just seems like there are a lot of nurses because they talk about their profession more than others and take pics in their scrubs.

Sep 30, 2021 - permalink

Why are so many nurses muscular? Simple -- they often have to move or carry patients of every size and weight. Usually they acquire their muscles from work, not weight training. When my dad had a rehab stay in a nursing home, most of the nurses had well-developed arms. My brother's daughter-in-law, a VA nurse, told me about one night when he had a medical emergency, so she carried him from his second-floor bedroom to the ambulance. My brother weighed about 240 pounds, but I could believe it. She stood about 6'1" and must've weighed 200 pounds herself. Little of it was fat.

About a year later, I caught sight of her flexing for another nephew at a family gathering. They were on the other side of the room, so this is only a guess, but I'd say she had a 17-inch biceps. And she's never belonged to a gym.

fp909
Sep 30, 2021 - permalink

Instead of 3 "12 hours days" a week, you get 2 more days for training and living your life. Same with working weekends or nights. Get the gym all to yourself.

My neighbor and her friend are nurses and they have lamented/loved similar scheduling. The 12-hour shifts can be brutal (especially over the last 2 years) but generally having 4 days of recovery time is good, plus of course gives you lots of time to do whatever. If you're even a casual fitness lover blocking your rest days on those work days (or using 2 of 3 for rest) works out pretty well. I imagine night shift nurses have a little less leeway with this...

Carli Terepka qualified for the Olympia training on a nurse's schedule for 10 years, so it's definitely possible to take it very seriously and while having that kind of job, even as a travel nurse where there's a little bit of flux in where you are. Plus I imagine with great money and most living expenses covered by contracts she has a bit less of "regular people" stress in terms of bills or debts or whatever that can make the rest of it so much easier.

I imagine many of them actually love their work even though it can have high stress which may make the stress a moot point and not some kind of health factor. And the rest of the demons they can, ahem, exorcise, in the gym

Sep 30, 2021 - permalink

I think there is two factors at play here. First, its quite easy to recognize nurses (based on them wearing scrubs, etc.) as opposed to other professions, and secondly, a lot of women are nurses.

Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

Maybe they need to be trained to carry patients and large medical equipment, they can't do that without strong bodies.

Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

Easier to get the steroids

[deleted]
Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

Easier to get the steroids

What is it with these clowns? This joke gets told dozens of time everyday. ITS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE. Neither is your fat reserve that you keep cultivating around your body. Go ask for some steroids at your local hospital today. Then lay motionless at home and watch the fat melt away.

Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

I never said that they inject steroids and become those goddesses over night. I know the effort ,I admire the beauty in that muscle and strength but that doesn’t change the fact.

Come on ,take it easy.

Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

Many nurses have very physical jobs, moving around and on their feet for many hours each day, burning calories, lifting patients, active and busy. Add in a knowledge of how the body works and a desire to be a good role model it is not too surprising there are a lot of nurses in good shape.

Oct 26, 2021 - permalink

My gf's mom is a nurse and she is kind of jacked too. Not visiting gym, not even close to girls here, but naturally big and looks strong. She do a lot of farming work too, so may be that is why she looks strong.

The low key "kind of jacked" can be the most impressive sometimes...

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »