Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Methods for downloading youtube videos

Aug 08, 2021 - permalink

I am just curious how some of you download YT vids, like what websites or software do you recommend.

Aug 08, 2021 - permalink

clipgrab is execellent- free download

Aug 08, 2021 - permalink

I use Firefox and some download video extension, same I use with Chrome, but they work in Firefox.

Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

Just copy and paste the wed address in any online YT MP4 Converter.

cgsweat
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

From my experience with the free download sites, they only allow up to a certain resolution and framerate, whereas a video might be available in better quality than that. I'm not familiar with the sites listed above but you may or may not have better luck with those.

What I use is 4K Video Downloader. I bought it in a 3 pack (along with 4K Stogram and 4K Youtube-to-MP3 converter). All you do is copy and paste the link and you can select the resolution and framerate you'd like to download. You can choose your output as .mp4 or .mkv although the quality varies depending on the video. Usually the largest file size is the best quality, although it is sometimes negligible enough to consider keeping the smaller file instead.

On an aside I partially recommend the Instagram downloader I mentioned above. It downloads profiles very fast, but you have to be careful because if you download "too much" at once then Instagram blocks your account (you have to be logged in through the program to download private profiles) for "suspicious activity."

Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

I use 4K Video Downloader too. It's fantastic. I'm pretty sure it's a free program though. I don't remember buying anything.

fp909
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

I use a Savefrom.net extension to chrome. It has saved me on more than one occasion at work when someone wanted a YT clip for something, and for my own purposes it's great too. It just creates a download option in the YT window itself so no copy-pasting, and gives you options for quality as well, and I think format.

Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
cgsweat
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
Aug 09, 2021 - edited Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

I mostly use the Internet Download Manager browser extension/desktop program. I bought a lifetime license a while back, I think the free version runs out after 30 days. It allows me to download the 2K/4K versions of some youtube videos that don't even show those as display options, and works pretty great for other sites too. (I should note that the only quirk is that you sometime have to reload the page before it detects all the resolution/bitrate variants)

I also have Video DownloadHelper as a backup, very rarely there will be a streaming video that IDM can't catch that it does, but I don't like the interface as much.

Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink

I use yt-dl for ubuntu.

Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
fp909
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
Aug 09, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by chipperpip
Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

Hi All! I use https://en.loader.to/ 4K 8k all good

Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

I use an app called new pipe for YouTube downloads so far it's worked great for me and I've never really had a major issue

Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

The cleanest method I discovered is https://youtube-dl.org/ you have to run it in DOS prompt and type a the command (youtube-dl.exe I think) plus some option command(s) plus the url adrees of youtube video. It is kind of bothersome at the beggining but it downloaded in the best format/quality, and it is an straight away proccess, no shady sites or whatever.

Only thing is that it seems that it needs some basic option command to do the operation (which I forgotted), and last times I couldn't download the video, or it downloaded gods know where. But it was some commando like "youtube-dl.exe -f URL" (could be).

tamarok
Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

One thing to note is YouTube keeps the video and audio tracks separate. Also, by default youtube-dl prioritises the MKV container type, rather than MP4.

Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

Also there is an youtube-dl fork which is better in my opinion. It is called yt-dlp.

Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

Open Video Downloader

Aug 29, 2022 - permalink

I always use "Internet Download Manager." Works great, browser integration. Very fast download speeds.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »