Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

R.I.P. Melissa Coates

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

No one should kid themselves about the cost of pushing the body to extremes. The candle that burns brightest normally burns out soonest.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Lots of people who are not bodybuilders or pro wrestlers die early. People can have health conditions that no one knows about.

Melissa Coates was actually a fitness icon during her time, and we should be thankful for what she gave.

However, no one knows when their time is it going to be up. Trying to sound like a wiseguy about it doesn’t change the fact that no one really knows.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

The industry is a bad joke. You can add professional wrestling too, so many die so young. You can't abuse your body for years without facing the consequences.

Pro wrestling really is an awful industry when it comes to wrestlers’ health. Yeah, wrestling is “fake,” but those bumps and wear and tear on the body are not. Unlike other sports, wrestlers don’t have an offseason. It so sad seeing all these wrestlers die so young from heart conditions and/or brain damage.

Jun 25, 2021 - edited Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Lots of people who are not bodybuilders or pro wrestlers die early. People can have health conditions that no one knows about.

Melissa Coates was actually a fitness icon during her time, and we should be thankful for what she gave.

However, no one knows when their time is it going to be up. Trying to sound like a wiseguy about it doesn’t change the fact that no one really knows.

I had a gym friend of mine recently pass away from lung cancer at the age of 39. She never smoked, was extremely fit, and was pretty much one of the last people I would have ever thought would come down with something like that. She went to the hospital with chest pains and breathing issues in January of this year, and was gone by April.

Really put into perspective my mortality (I’m 33). Please live every day as full as possible.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

I had a gym friend of mine recently pass away from lung cancer at the age of 39. She never smoked, was extremely fit, and was pretty much one of the last people I would have ever thought would come down with something like that. She went to the hospital with chest pains and breathing issues in January of this year, and was gone by April.

Really put into perspective my mortality (I’m 33). Please live every day as full as possible.

My late wife and her mom all had cancer - they where born in Hiroshima - the grandmother of my wife was pregnant during the atomic bomb, she survived and gave birth. The child had cancer and survived. The child then got married and after 2 failed pregnancy they was close to stop trying, but got a child (my late wife) and she got cancer fought and survived. So they tried to get a second child, loss in pregnancy. So, they decided to adopt another child. It later on came trough that the adopted child had skelettcancer. My wife past away in september 2006 and her sister in early january 2007. Both of them where trained balett dancers and my wife also was trained in wrestling (not the WWE thing), karate, judo, taekwondo to name a few. My point here is, sometimes really healthy people - in an Elite level just drops off - sad to read about your friend Gatsby28. I am sure you have people here, or on other places, that can support you in your loss. Peace and prosper to You and Everyone else.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Of course there are people in every profession who die young. The point is that, statistically, the fitness industry (note: it's not called the "health industry" or the "long life industry") eats up and spits out a bunch of folks. It's rough. So are Hollywood, high fashion, and the music business. One difference is that in bodybuilding, the drugs are required. That doesn't necessarily mean the drugs are the killer, but it will attract personality types willing to take risks.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Not trying to sound like a "wiseguy". She may have died of totally unrelated causes but if you don't see the disproportionate amount of young deaths in both sports, you're kidding yourself. Drug use among the most well known athletes is rampant.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Eating animal "products" are also cancer causing. These also cause osteoporosis, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

Damn, I remember seeing her in magazine spreads back in the 90s before all the plastic surgery. As mentioned by some, learned from her twitter that she had a leg amputated from blood clots last year. Was either that or death she said. Have a family member who had the same operation for the same reason, but has been staying alive for several decades. Dont know if the blood clots have anything to do with her death but rest in peace.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink
Deleted by Sluggo
Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

R.I.P Melissa, you were my favorite before the plastic surgery.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

> What? They need to say how. Is it me or does it seem like a lot are dying at 50 and they never say anything about the cause of death. I'm sorry to hear this news. She was a real legend.

Cause of death is a private matter. Her family certainly does not NEED to say how.

I'm very sorry to hear this as well.

I know they don't "NEED" to say anything but if it has something to do with a behavior that could save another girls life by knowing exactly what she's getting into. Then you say it. For her maybe you say it anyway because people are going to speculate and maybe not follow what they want to do out of fear .

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

It is so sad to hear about Melissa's passing at such a young age. I always admired her as a female bodybuilder and got to know her personally through my involvement in pro wrestling. We had several opportunities to sit and talk about both worlds at length over the course of a few years. It's equally disheartening to hear from our members how many friends and relatives have passed under similar situations and conditions.

Jun 25, 2021 - permalink

She was one of my biggest crushes as a teen. RIP 😭

[deleted]
Aug 11, 2021 - permalink

RIP Melissa

Aug 11, 2021 - permalink

Hadn't she lost her leg to a blood clot a few months ago? I think she had some other health issues. So sad to see her pass.

Oct 20, 2021 - permalink

I'm guessing it is synth related?

Oct 21, 2021 - permalink

Anabolic synth is worse than natural anabolics steroids. When synth gets into the blood stream it causes so many dangerous health issues which includes death.

« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »