Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Girlswithmuscle.com And The Lost Features Of Yesteryear!

May 25, 2021 - permalink

Will current missing things from the good ol' days of the site's previous incarnation return at some point or are they in some wooden crate in a giant warehouse?

I'm thinking of the ability to create polls, users moderating uploaded images, and Chainer's wacky humor on April Fool's Day.

There might be more things missing but those especially came to mind

Chainer
May 25, 2021 - permalink

ability to create polls

The problem with these was two-fold: one, they got very repetitive (a lot of variations of "which of the below women are your favorite?" and "which muscle group do you like best"), and two, a lot of it was very fetishy and I didn't want that as front-and-center as it was (a top-level page on the navigation bar at the top). There's a chance I'll bring the ability to create polls back integrated into the forum somehow, although I haven't thought about it much and don't have specific plans to do so. This would address at least the front-and-center problem, since the polls would be a bit more obscurely located.

On the other hand, the old forum software (pre-2021) did have the option to add a poll to your posts, and this was actually enabled early on in the site's history. There were a lot of polls of the form "Do you disagree with [X] moderating decision" or "should [X] feature be implemented" which were more annoying than helpful, so I disabled it.

users moderating uploaded images

Over time I found that this just had a very low signal to noise ratio. The idea was that users would vote according to the upload rules, which were posted on the page, but in practice people just voted however they wanted. This made it not useful as a screening tool for images before they made it onto the site, and it has now been superseded by the direct upload system. It won't be coming back.

Chainer's wacky humor on April Fool's Day

Lol. The past two April Fool's days I wasn't able to think of anything great humor-wise but I did do an experimental feature instead each time: Hidden Gems in 2020 and Similar Images in 2021. What I'll do next year depends on what I happen to be able to think of a few weeks beforehand, which is generally when I start thinking about it.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »