Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Quoting

Apr 29, 2021 - edited Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

How come when pressing the blue tab labeled Quote, the resulting quote doesn't include the name of the person you're quoting?

How are users to know who is being quoted without scouring the entire thread? Wouldn't it be more reader friendly to automatically add that info when hitting the quote tab?

Asking for a friend

Chainer
Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

The formatting system we use (Markdown) doesn't automatically support adding an attribution to a quote block.

Generally when you quote someone the quoted post is only a few posts up so it's not hard to find it. Also IMO the text you're responding to is more important than who said it.

Apr 29, 2021 - edited Apr 29, 2021 - permalink

The Big Cheese said:

The formatting system we use (Markdown) doesn't automatically support adding an attribution to a quote block.

Yes, I know. I'm acquainted with Markdown on another site and recognized it. That site adds the name to quotes, which is why I asked.

Generally when you quote someone the quoted post is only a few posts up so it's not hard to find it.

That is of course fine when there's a handful of replies as is true of a lot of threads, but not applicable when a topic takes off and new users try to navigate page after page of hookah smoking, diet-faced FBBs in uniforms.... or whatever is popular with the kids these days.

Also IMO the text you're responding to is more important than who said it.

Maybe and maybe that runs counter to the idea of building a community where people know eachother by name.

Thanks for the reply though. My friend will be elated

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »