Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Idea to tackle nameless uploads

qaz
Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Apologies if this idea has already been floated around and dismissed, but how about focusing on the ratio between named uploads and nameless ones?

Among the "big uploaders" (people with more than 5k uploads, responsible for about 70% of the total pics if I'm not mistaken) there are many who have a high ratio of nameless pics/total uploads. I don't think this practice helps the community. Shortly after being posted, nameless pics moslty become background noise/clutter among the gallery pages.

There could be a ratio that all users have to stay above of in order to be able to post nameless pics. It seems to me that this policy would be pretty resistent to abuses. If somebody goes through the pain of naming their pics with made-up names, just to get their ratio up, then two things can happen:

1. They do it sloppily and randomly, and naturally get discovered. Or equivalently somebody else discovers the correct name. Either way, the uploader can be clearly sanctioned.

2. They take great care with it, and nobody ever comes across that model's real name. The uploader won't get caught, but at least the pics are catalogued with the common name and people will have greater access through them. A win for the community anyway.

Given that option 2 will be pretty rare anyway, I think this tactic could be useful. (Obv. the rule wouldn't just apply to people who upload a lot, but to everyone)

Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Interesting idea. How would you keep people from entering any name (even if it is wrong) in order to complete the "name" field, thereby avoiding penalty?

[deleted]
Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

You should not be able to load a photo unless you have her name simple

Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

OK, but how does that prevent uploaders from entering wrong names in order to complete the upload? And, it still would be nice to discuss this in response to QAZ’s idea.

qaz
Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Interesting idea. How would you keep people from entering any name (even if it is wrong) in order to complete the "name" field, thereby avoiding penalty?

I say it in my post. You cannot prevent it, but if it happens... see the two options

Apr 26, 2021 - edited Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Right, but for option 1, what does the process look like? How is the offender sanctioned? Who does the sanctioning? How do you know such sanctions actually matter to the offender?

There’s also a logical problem here. If an uploader enters inaccurate names simply to satisfy the “name” requirement, and the real name of the model is not known, how can the problem ever be corrected? Have you considered the possibility that blank name fields advertise a missing name to the community of users, and that often correct names are provided by the user community?

We then introduce a problem that (in my opinion) is worse than the one you are trying to prevent: Instead of plainly displaying that a models’s name is not known, the model instead has a fake/inaccurate name.

Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

I initially was quite frustrated by the tsunami of nameless pictures. Thinking about it, though it still is frustrating, I see 2 purposes for it. 1) the poster feels the picture is just too good to skip because of not knowing the woman's name or 2) the poster is leaving the name blank to be filled later by another who knows who it is. Yes, it can be frustrating, but this beats misinformation and confusion in the long run.

Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

We should call the real unknowns UFM's--unknown female muscle..

qaz
Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Right, but for option 1, what does the process look like? How is the offender sanctioned? Who does the sanctioning? How do you know such sanctions actually matter to the offender?

Well that's something for the mods to decide. The problem now is that when somebody posts without name there's always the doubt "well maybe they're not being lazy, maybe they really don't know the name...".

If there's a ratio to respect, you'd be able to post some nameless images, it might happen to anyone to find a few you really cannot name. And if you have on your hands a lot of images from models you don't know, you'd post them bit by bit, and ask people to fill in the name; or you post on the forum to identify them... point is there would be ways to deal with it.

I included the 2nd option just to cover all cases, how many people are really going to risk it by putting fake names on pictures when there's a ton of ways it could be discovered?

There’s also a logical problem here. If an uploader enters inaccurate names simply to satisfy the “name” requirement, and the real name of the model is not known, how can the problem ever be corrected?

If the model name is not known by anybody, how can the problem be corrected now? With this new rule all that you'd have to do is contribute a enough named pics before you post your unnamed ones. And if anybody finds any number of misnamed pics, they can just correct them, and actually it'd be easier to do because you can find all the pics that have the same wrong name.

qaz
Apr 26, 2021 - permalink

Nah... I think that would be too strict

Chainer
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

There are two parts to this that I want to incentivize:

1. Encourage uploaders to add names to uploads where they know the name.
  2. Don't discourage uploaders from posting pics where they legitimately don't know the name.

Without #2, we would deprive ourselves of a lot of actually good pics.

All attempts at a solution to this problem I have seen so far, including the one in this thread, hit #1 but miss #2.

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

I submit the following solution: get over it. The "outrage" at nameless pictures is bordering on self-parody at this point. It's really no big deal. Take a breath.

qaz
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

2. Don't discourage uploaders from posting pics where they legitimately don't know the name.

All attempts at a solution to this problem I have seen so far, including the one in this thread, hit #1 but miss #2.

Yes it's not perfect in that regard, I thought it was somewhat the best compromise. Anyway thanks for answering

[deleted]
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Not a quick fix, but thinking further ahead, create a points-based reward system to incentivise people to upload with names? Some access to yet to be determined privileges? Could be used to reward other desirable contributions as well.

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Yes it's not perfect in that regard, I thought it was somewhat the best compromise. Anyway thanks for answering

What about bonus uploads for someone who adds or completes a correct name to the name field? I used to do this all the time, and sometimes still add the girl's name to the comments section. But, I stopped adding it to the name field, because I got nothing out of it, not even a thank you, and just ended up doing some lazy asses work.

[deleted]
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

I dont mind them actually

tamarok
Apr 27, 2021 - edited Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Making names mandatory would just result in users fudging whatever value they wanted to make the system happy, if they don't know the name, making life harder for us as mods. I have already had to deal with people thinking the field was already mandatory doing just that. Right now we can search for images without names and try to fill in the blanks properly, whereas with fudged fields it will be more work to find mis-named images, being a bigger loss.

The other downside is that we risk losing rare gems who are either truly unknown or want to be kept anonymous, since they simply wouldn't be uploaded for fear of getting negative scores.

There are some users who are mean and make a point of not naming, because they feel they are owed something, so I'd be tempted to find something that addresses them more specifically, rather than the rest who truly don't know the name.

I have been in a situation where no matter how many reverse image searches I tried the model name was not revealed. It was only by having it uploaded it here was it found, through the community.

I'd also say if people are just expecting uploaders to name every image, even when unknown, while they don't want to participate in identifying them as a community member, then in a certain way it is just another negative behaviour. For this reason, instead of just complaining about missing names, how about we all try adding them if we are sure of their identity, but be aware reverse image searches can also be a source of bad names.

M76
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

First word problems. I propose another solution: Allow the whiners to hide nameless pics.

Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Just to add some color to the debate, here are a few extremely popular photos, yet they do not have names:

I think we are better off allowing such uploads.

tamarok
Apr 27, 2021 - permalink

Looking at the name history for the above three photos, we actually see example of common scenarios

• Photo never been named by anyone
  • Photo was given uploader's name, and then removed as bogus
  • Photo was named by uploader after the fact, but then removed since it was deemed incorrect
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »