Forum > Announcements > Thread

Update regarding images of trans women

Mar 22, 2021 - edited Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

@markstewart

To clarify, transwomen on the main site didn't bother me. I did in fact just move on, instead of leaving nasty comments and/or reports. But I meant everything I said about my own personal attraction.

I see Chainer's new policy as a practical move rather than an ideological move. Facts are, many people feel the same way I do about transwomen, but simply cannot or will not be respectful about it. I think it's wrong for people to act that way, but that's currently how the userbase is. The burden to police the aftermath of that is on the moderation of this site, and their resources are limited.

I think this is the crux of the situation. Moderation team is opting for a practical solution rather than a moral one. And the issue I have with that is that there is an option to culling those comments rather than just deleting the forum to house those negative comments. I think Chainer is well-meaning here, maybe just a bit naïve. Like letting a user like Mr. Awesome continually make transphobic/homophobic comments and then slapping a 3-day ban on him when he does it for the 50th time does absolutely nothing to suggest that that type of behavior shouldn't be accepted. He'll be back, and it'll be the same thing all over again.

Chainer mentioned earlier that he wanted to cater to users such as yourself rather than the Mr. Awesome's of the world, but I don't see that as the case at all. You've said right here that you did move on from those pics when you saw them, and you're articulating your thoughts here rather than trans woman = man and disgusting. And your views are completely fine to have.

I think a lot of people are taking this odd stance that trans women are trying to be forced into the main pages, when it's literally just about having them as an option. It's going the complete opposite way, certain users are trying to force out a specific demographic as the option, yet don't see the hypocrisy at play when they're talking about it. It's like those people that say, "You can be gay, just don't do that shit around me." Like how are we not past that at this point?

I popped into the trans subforum just to become enlightened (curious seemed like a poor choice of words) and found a LOT of pics, vids and conversations about dongs. Now I don't personally care about what happens on a clearly labeled subforum, but I thought placing them on the GWM mainpage would be "seamless" ? We'd never know! We can't be sure anyway!

Yet there it is... pages and pages of dick-talk, photos and videos. Exactly what we should expect to find on "Girls With Muscles".

Chainer
Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

Moderation team is opting for a practical solution rather than a moral one. And the issue I have with that is that there is an option to culling those comments rather than just deleting the forum to house those negative comments.

This is what I was talking about in my previous post where this feels like you're volunteering our time to cull comments. Moderating user behavior is probably my least favorite part of running the site, and while it is often necessary, I want to minimize having to do it as much as possible and instead spend time doing development/coding work.

Like letting a user like Mr. Awesome continually make transphobic/homophobic comments and then slapping a 3-day ban on him when he does it for the 50th time

I was away from my phone/computer for about 10 hours while he was commenting in this thread and banned him immediately upon seeing the comments when I got back. It is entirely wrong to assume that just because a comment exists on the site that I approve of it, or even know about it.

Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

This is what I was talking about in my previous post where this feels like you're volunteering our time to cull comments. Moderating user behavior is probably my least favorite part of running the site, and while it is often necessary, I want to minimize having to do it as much as possible and instead spend time doing development/coding work.

I was away from my phone/computer for about 10 hours while he was commenting in this thread and banned him immediately upon seeing the comments when I got back. It is entirely wrong to assume that just because a comment exists on the site that I approve of it, or even know about it.

Does this not come with the territory of being a mod/admin? If there's a black model and you see racist comments, chances are you're going to deal with the people that post racist comments, yet not outright prevent people from posting black models.

With trans models, the only difference is that this outright bigotry against them is more common to see. The fact that you're deleting these comments to begin with shows that you think they're wrong. But unlike the racism discussion, you're forgoing the moral decision for a practical one by preventing people from posting them altogether.

Chainer
Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

Does this not come with the territory of being a mod/admin?

Some amount of moderation does, unfortunately. That doesn't mean I won't try to minimize it, if possible.

If there's a black model and you see racist comments, chances are you're going to deal with the people that post racist comments, yet not outright prevent people from posting black models. With trans models, the only difference is that this outright bigotry against them is more common to see.

Not really an accurate comparison. See point "two" from my post.

Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

But unlike the racism discussion, you're forgoing the moral decision for a practical one by preventing people from posting them altogether.

The problem is, the resources to thoroughly moderate the comments on trans pictures do not exist. It's not because the mods are lazy - the manpower just isn't there.

The policy is basically choosing between one of the two:

1. Allow transwomen on the main site, but also be unable to delete the transphobic comments, flaming, and other undesirable conversations.

2. Adopt the existing policy, and have the ability to keep such comments under control.

If I were a transwoman, I'd rather my pictures have positivity and support. Not comments like "It’s a man, baby!" or "get this disgusting freak off the site!!!!".

Ideally, the manpower to keep such comments under control would exist, and transwomen could be posted to the main site. But that's not reality.

Mar 22, 2021 - permalink

The problem is, the resources to thoroughly moderate the comments on trans pictures do not exist. It's not because the mods are lazy - the manpower just isn't there.

The policy is basically choosing between one of the two:

1. Allow transwomen on the main site, but also be unable to delete the transphobic comments, flaming, and other undesirable conversations.

2. Adopt the existing policy, and have the ability to keep such comments under control.

If I were a transwoman, I'd rather my pictures have positivity and support. Not comments like "It’s a man, baby!" or "get this disgusting freak off the site!!!!".

Ideally, the manpower to keep such comments under control would exist, and transwomen could be posted to the main site. But that's not reality.

I honestly don't understand how the manpower isn't there for it. How hard is it to ban these users? If you do nothing but delete the comments (which is what the practice has been on here), it'll be rinse and repeat the next time.

I honestly don't understand how the manpower isn't there for it. How hard is it to ban these users? If you do nothing but delete the comments (which is what the practice has been on here), it'll be rinse and repeat the next time.

It's not a trivial problem to solve. Moderation is complex, and adding staff means more management/overhead.

Users who make outright transphobic comments have a clear case to be banned, but what about users who only post mildly passive-aggressive comments (e.g. "Isn't this site girlswithmuscle? 🙄")? Those can be incredibly offensive comments to a transwoman, but come across as quite innocent to someone who doesn't scrutinize closely. Not everyone actually even has a concept of what a transwoman is - some just don't see them as women, and not because they are transphobic. They simply don't know better - transgender is a very western concept, with other cultures having no concept of it at all. It's rarely an easy line to draw, and the grey area is huge.

Also, users who are banned for reasons like racism and transphobia rarely just leave. They often take it upon themselves to crusade against the site with puppet accounts made with VPNs and burner emails. These kinds of people can persist for literal decades - I've seen it firsthand too many times.

The problem is made even worse if the woman doesn't "pass". Many people make the honest mistake of assuming the wrong picture of a man was uploaded, and report the picture. Some will report maliciously, but there is no way to distinguish the two.

Chainer
Mar 23, 2021 - permalink

I think we've now reached the point where there is not much new commentary to add to this thread, and as such I want to put it to rest by locking it so it doesn't keep getting bumped and all of us notified on a regular basis.

I'm open to reevaluating this once some time has passed.

Thread locked by Chainer.
« first < prev Page 7 of 7 next > last »