Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

How exactly does GOTW work?

Feb 07, 2021 - permalink

I have been trying to nominate a candidate for several weeks, but have not been able to so far. Was the time for nominating candidates shortened? The time available is not clear at all. Is there a maximum number of candidates?

Suggestions:

• Clearly show the remaining time (in hours) to be able to propose candidates.
  • Limit the number of times a user can propose candidates. For example, the same user cannot propose candidates two weeks one after another.
Chainer
Feb 07, 2021 - edited Feb 07, 2021 - permalink

The nomination starts exactly when the new GotW is selected, which is done by a script at a set time. You can see the exact time by hovering over the time in "will be selected X days from now" on the GotW page. Currently it's set to 08:00 (am) UTC on Sunday, which is a recent change. It was 17:00 UTC on Sundays for a long time.

The nomination ends after 15 choices have been submitted, and then voting begins. I think this usually happens within at most a few hours after nomination has begun.

I like the idea of switching to nomination lasting a set amount of time, rather than until a set number of choices has been reached. This would run into issues if GWM happens to have a longer outage on the nomination day, though. An alternative would be to increase the number of choices required until nomination ends.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »