Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Model aliases and/or basic bio

tamarok
Jan 15, 2021 - permalink

It could be interesting to provide support for names aliases for a model, whether it’s due a family name change or maybe a social media nickname?

At the same time a basic bio page could exist with social media links, type of fitness activity and stats about height and weight?

Jan 15, 2021 - permalink

I proposed something similar a few years ago: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/forum/thread...

Chainer
Jan 16, 2021 - permalink

I agree that a user-editable bio would be good to have. I'm not sure about aliases; at first thought it would complicate the search quite a bit.

tamarok
Jan 16, 2021 - permalink

For the alias, it could simply be a secondary search, which could be in the form of “also found matching aliases” or something of the sort?

2 days ago - edited 2 days ago - permalink

This is a little off topic, but something I've been thinking about and is related to this idea. There are quite a few non-english names, Korean and Chinese in particular, that are named as their IG alias or even Weibo or tiktok usernames. This works as a workaround, but may not be ideal. I was wondering if there were any ideas on how to best use the name field in these instances. In the future, a bio or profile system may be able to alleviate these problems, but i just want to do my best to keep things organized as i upload. For example:

from her IG: https://instagram.com/khe.wannabefit?igshid=...

First line is: 김효은 #워너비핏

which google translates to: Kim Hyo-eun #Wanna Be Fit

Personally, i think the name field should just be for name, not social media accounts which change all the time anyway. this simplifies subscriptions, searches, etc. and i think the google translate for women who have no western alphabet name is the best and most consistent. What are your thoughts?

2 days ago - permalink

Joe is right-- users frequently change their social media handles (instagram, for example). If social media handles are considered an alias, that is complicated, and might not be helpful in the long term.

2 days ago - permalink

how many unique NEW names there are uploaded daily? because it doesn't seem to be that high. on the upload screen, having a dropdown or autocomplete with all current names in the database would be great and would minimize one-offs, mis-spellings, etc., but maybe the table might be too large to load into that screen, idk, just a thought.

« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »