Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Muscle-Guts on FBBs?

goldenash
May 16, 2012 - permalink
There's something I've noticed among male bodybuilders that seems to never happen among female ones. I'm not entirely sure why, but some of those guys tend to have bulging stomachs like this...

I actually love that look! But the only female bodybuilders I ever remember seeing it on are Tami Wooden and Yvette Bova, and those weren't very large at all.

So, do any of you know of any female bodybuilders with stomachs like this?
chinchin
May 17, 2012 - permalink
Good grief, "Growth Gut" (usually a result of heavy HGH use) is hideous enough on male bodybuilders. 

On FBB's, it's about a ugly as it gets.
admiral_bates
Aug 29, 2012 - permalink
Also know as roid gut.
Roid gut is caused by the injecting of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) into one's system. This hormone is naturally produced by the body. As a drug, it is used for muscle growth and unlike steroids which enlarge the muscle that's already there, HGH begins to grow all new muscle. The "gut" part comes into play because HGH causes a growth effect around internal organs such as the heart, kidneys, and liver just to name a few. When these organs become enlarged, they cause a protrusion effect — hence, the enlarged waistline and gut that is noticeable in bodybuilders who use this type of drug.
j2k
Sep 03, 2012 - permalink
Also know as roid gut.
Roid gut is caused by the injecting of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) into one's system. This hormone is naturally produced by the body. As a drug, it is used for muscle growth and unlike steroids which enlarge the muscle that's already there, HGH begins to grow all new muscle. The "gut" part comes into play because HGH causes a growth effect around internal organs such as the heart, kidneys, and liver just to name a few. When these organs become enlarged, they cause a protrusion effect — hence, the enlarged waistline and gut that is noticeable in bodybuilders who use this type of drug.

But why do they use them if they're even worse than steroids?
BB is about looks, what's the point in taking a drug that turns you into a ball?
marcusaurel
Sep 16, 2012 - permalink
good question.
It is one (of many other) side effect, some guys (and girls) are willing to accept, just to get bigger arms, legs, shoulders, backs...
chinchin
Sep 17, 2012 - permalink
There's a couple of possibilities as to why HGH use is widespread in the bodybuilding world (though please note that I'm just an everyday schmoe, not an MD or a chemist - so take everything I say with a grain of salt).

My understanding is that HGH and steroids work through a slightly different biological mechanism, so that using a combination of HGH and steroids produces a much better result than just using steroids (or HGH) alone.

Also, only recently has HGH finally became widely available at reasonable prices (until about ten years ago, it could only be extracted from human cadavers, making it frightfully expensive. Today, it can be manufactured in labs).  When it showed up on the scene, it offered the promise of big muscle growth with little or none of the masculinizing effects one gets from steroid use (such as deepening of the voice, and development of facial hair). 

Naturally, this seemed a godsend to female bodybuilders . . .  until it became apparent that HGH use also brought along a whole bunch of its own undesirable side effects.

I'm still waiting for the magic formula that allows women to grow big muscles with NO undesirable side effects.  When that happens, I'll lobby to have it introduced into the nation's drinking water supplies.  Until then, though, I guess there's no free lunch when it comes to muscle-building drugs.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »