Forum > General / Nonfiction > Thread

Are more women getting stronger than men?

girlfan77
Sep 04, 2011 - permalink
I know getting in shape is a trend for some women these days, especially with all the fitness channels, products, exercise methods, suppliments, nutriants etc. Though are more and more women really getting into building muscle? And if so is this really becoming more of a regular thing? As I am not sure they are, as much as I'd love to see more muscular babes.

In this day and age where men don't have to go out and hunt anymore or do as much physically taxing work to make a living, and women having equal rights and opportunities to men (men not having to be the bread winner) I can see this becoming more the case in theory. As there isn't a need for men to be stronger than women because they (generally speaking) don't need to be physically stronger to work and don't have the upper hand as much in society. This puts men and women on an even playing field, so as more women hit the gym to work out and exercise, a lot of women could realistically overtake men (who aren't also gym buffs or sporty) in being physically stronger. I mean, you have female cage fighters now!

Personally, to see women with bigger and stronger muscles than men as a normal thing in society and culture would be phenomenal. Though I don't know if it will ever happen or if it could actually ever happen in practice for whatever reason.
ursus
Sep 07, 2011 - permalink
While there are more women into body building and strength training, they are still a small percentage of the population.   Most of the women I see on a  daily basis range from somewhat overweight to morbidly obese.  I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

doug
Sep 09, 2011 - permalink
My father, a retired police officer, believes he could beat about any woman in a fight. Any women disagree?
lovebiceps
Sep 09, 2011 - permalink
Yeah, a woman with muscle is still a very rare sighting indeed, unless you happen to live in a hotbed of action.  The sightings are so slim that I get excited if I see any kind of rise, bulge, or vein. 
kjsre
Sep 15, 2011 - permalink
Yes for me too, my wife had a 6pack when we were dating. Even after we had our first child she was still managed to maintain those abs (but with workout of course). I would say that her abs were actually better and more cut after her first birth cos she worked extremely hard for them. She don't even have to squeeze to see those abs at that time. But now that we have our third child. she stopped. I still miss those days man.
boblish342
Nov 21, 2011 - permalink
I can say yes, because "for every man's failed there is a woman"  The biggest weakness of a man is the woman!
splitpeaks
Dec 11, 2011 - permalink
It's a fantasy of mine too. As others have stated, muscle women are indeed a small part of the population - but socially I believe and hope [in our lifetime], we will see a shift toward a more matriarchal society. I say this as a hetero-sexual male - generally speaking, male leaders have made a mess of the world. For me it's never been about the domineering aspect of a well muscled women, just the hightened sexuality it adds to femininity. Symbolically also, a muscular women represents a gender-bending concept. As you stated - men are the "hunter-gatheres" of the species, and a muscular male attracts the female attention because he's strong and will be a good provider and pass on his genes. But the muscular woman turns that on it's head!
Women are not supposed to be strong and powerful, and the sight of one makes sexually repressed men (and women) very uneasy. This is a good thing. It forces us to consider the similarities between the sexes and move away from the ridiculous stereotypes pass down through the ages. The strong muscular woman represents everything good we must strive for. She is "the great mother." The savior. The archetypal mother.  
girlflexfan
Jan 18, 2012 - permalink
generally speaking, male leaders have made a mess of the world.

when you think of female leader (at least on the republican side of things), who comes to mind? probably sarah palin.  and while not a big fan, you will love this video of Lisa Nova imitating Sarah Palin.  Lisa is HOT! Great legs. pretty funny video too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTd4_Ids80

I would take her as my leader!!
pan321
Jan 21, 2012 - permalink
The image of a fit muscular woman up against a weak skinny man is an incredible turn on for whatever reason. given the fact that ghere are 5 billion people on the planet there are millions of super fit women out there and millions of extremely winpy guys .. but still ... a very rare situation ...
lotsandlotsapoo
Jan 22, 2012 - permalink
Lisa Nova is super hot in that video... but a hardbody?
pumkinbom
Oct 24, 2012 - permalink
I think there is a shift on what we think the role of a man and a woman is in society as to what it was like before and when you take into account that and some other factors you see an overall de-emasculation of men and more accepted for woman to act masculine.

What I mean is that looking at popular culture you can tell more femine traits are being sought after in guys with the rise of singers like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, and One Directions (Music taste and preference aside these are popular culture.) who are younger, emotional, artistic, and have less masculine features overall facially and in muscle but this is the norm as opposed to the action movie era of the 80's/90's. Now there are exceptions to the norm and woman who will always be in the minority but from my observations this is the way it has gone.

Woman on the other hand are going the other way with it albeit with limitations. Woman are can be more sexually open then once before and have more authority in relationships. There is not a sport in my province that does not have a female equivalent and ones that dont allow woman to play on the same teams are guys, hell I know woman boxers/wrestlers who due to weight classes fight guys and won (Usually using speed over strength). There has been a higher interest in things such as Crossfit and fitness in general and when I go to the gym there are way more woman overall then men although free weights are still male dominated.

Im not an expert but Im just going off my own observations. As men are lucky as we can act more femine then woman can be masculine overall. More woman are seeing being fit and showing some muscle as sexy and more men seem to be accepting of it but I think it has more to do with our societies current focus on health and fitness in this decade and higher fat diets that leads to more naturally muscular woman now then in the past but its a fine line for a woman before being shunned by men for being "too muscular" even at the fitness level.

As each generation passes I think we will actually see a shift in this role more so but not so much that we will see a complete reversal but more of an evening out and that will not be anytime soon but over the coarse of a few generations. Woman who work out now also have better supplements then use to be available to put on size easier but if the trent increases then who is to say each generation of woman wont have an easier time putting on weight/muscle density and if men keep going at their trent we may see a generation of men who have a harder time putting on muscle which seems like it would come sooner then the opposite.

I also heard somewhere that in the Y chromosome that makes a baby male as each generation goes by it is getting smaller. I have heard things disproving and for this so it may play an overall factor but if thats the case it is not something we can help and emasculation is gonna happen but I think even it is a case that the Y chromosome is shrinking Im thinking it caused by our actions rather then on its own but I aint no scientist, just a man who likes woman with big muscles.

Im actually not in favor of this whole role reversal thing as Im just kind of a masculine guy who things a man should be a man but to each their own. I also do not want to say its getting easier for woman to put on muscle to a noticeable degree or not because I dont wish to take anything away from the current generation of female atheletes who worked hard for their results but when I see that 17 year old girl from the UK and Haylee McNeff at 21 and hear they are natural (Which I do not doubt at all.) it makes me think of these things.

Sorry bout the short novel guys but I mum this idea in my head quite a bit haha.
shaanta2
Nov 20, 2012 - permalink
While there are more women into body building and strength training, they are still a small percentage of the population.   Most of the women I see on a  daily basis range from somewhat overweight to morbidly obese.  I don't see that changing anytime soon. 
baredivas
Dec 11, 2012 - permalink
short answer yes
 long answer yes
curawl
Dec 22, 2012 - permalink
The answer is Yes, women are more mush stronger than men. This is a fact and many time experienced it.
Really? I am not even fit, but nevertheless I am clearly stronger than most of my female friends. I've met women stronger than me, but they are reaaaaally rare.
crissgill
Feb 07, 2013 - permalink
I my opinion i am totally agree with"Women are not supposed to be strong and powerful, and the sight of one makes sexually repressed men very uneasy. This is a good thing. It forces us to consider the similarities between the sexes and move away from the ridiculous stereotypes pass down through the ages."
veniz
Mar 19, 2013 - permalink
Women are not supposed to be strong and powerful men, there are rare women who attain that fame which a men can avail easily. But today's women are more motivated and have great courage in them. They no. of women bodybuilders increase day by day.
tw
May 20, 2013 - permalink
I know I'm replying to an old post, but this is a topic I've thought a lot about too .....

For starters, I disagree with what's quoted, below. The fact is, yes, we do see a lot more women trying to prove they're "equal to a man in every way", ever since the women's liberation movement. And at the same time, I think more men (especially the younger ones, who have been through the modern educational system) are open-minded to letting women do traditionally male roles. But there are genetic limitations here which dictate that as an absolute, men are going to be stronger than women. (Just check the world's records for any popular lift in bodybuilding or powerlifting. In every documented one, a man holds the record for lifting an amount considerably greater than any women's record for the same lift.)

Now, none of this means women aren't capable of pretty impressive strength. And I think one thing we're witnessing today are more women willing to work out regularly and actually build up that strength, versus being content not to really try. I think an increasing number of guys have an attitude more like my own, where I want to see a woman show me how strong she is, instead of discouraging it.

Women also have more of the type of muscle fibers conducive to endurance than men have. So all else being equal, a woman stands a good chance of being able to outlast a guy at a given exercise before tiring out.

Maybe it ruins some people's fantasies to state that men can lift more total weight than women? But realistically, there are a lot of women out there with enough leg strength to leg press between 900 and 1300lbs. for reps. There might be guys doing as much as 2,000lbs. -- but so what? A woman who can push that 900-1300lbs. can lift the back end of a small car off the ground, possibly even while an average size guy sits on the trunk and goes along for the ride. A lot of those "Universal" machines in clubhouse gyms only have about 900lbs. of weights in their whole stack. So not only can these women leg press the full stack on those machines, but they might gladly invite you to stand on the stack to add some more weight to it.

Far more women out there might only be capable of leg pressing, say 400lbs., and may be able to lift a barbell of say, 200-225lbs. off the ground but only hold it up at about waist height. (I give that example because I have a female friend that fits that description.) I know first-hand that's plenty of strength so my 190lb. self can jump up on her back and not even have to make any effort to hold myself up after that. She has plenty of grip strength to wrap her arms under my legs and support me. And her legs are strong enough that she can still jump several inches off the ground while carrying me. (We used to play around occasionally with her "bunny hopping" across the basement floor with me riding her.)

That's why I say ... just HOW strong does a woman have to be, to be impressive?

I my opinion i am totally agree with"Women are not supposed to be strong and powerful, and the sight of one makes sexually repressed men very uneasy. This is a good thing. It forces us to consider the similarities between the sexes and move away from the ridiculous stereotypes pass down through the ages."
anon-e-mouse
May 20, 2013 - permalink
"... just HOW strong does a woman have to be, to be impressive?"
Stronger than the average man ;)
wihs2006
Oct 05, 2013 - permalink
IMO there has been a definite increase in the number of females lifting weights and looking into gaining muscle. However the average woman that diets, takes supplements, and works out is still nowhere near as strong as the average guy who does the same.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »