Forum > Bug Reports > Thread

[FIXED] Ratings not taking effect on gallery pages ...

chevron
Dec 28, 2009 - permalink
When I've rated an image, the 'new' rating appears on the pic's individual page as usual, but when I return to the gallery pages (ie pages which display the thumbnail images), the old rating still appears and, on the 'highest rating' setting, the rankings are unaffected by the rating change created by my vote.
Chainer
Dec 28, 2009 - permalink
It's actually supposed to be that way with the changes I made last night in order to make the page more efficient.

Here's what happens:

One person views the gallery page. The script runs, and the HTML output (with ratings and the number of comments) is saved in the database. Then, the next 50 people who view that same gallery page with the same tag filters and image ordering gets that first person's HTML output from the database, with old ratings and comment numbers preserved. The upside of this is that it overloads the server a lot less than having the script run for every single person who views a gallery page.

So, in short, the ratings do take effect on the gallery pages, it just takes at most 50 views of any given gallery page for that to happen.
chevron
Dec 28, 2009 - permalink
Fair enough -- but the immediacy of the interactivity was a major part of the appeal of the site, and the delay in seeing the effect of your participation reduces that. There's also a lag in seeing a comment appear -- I can't be the only person who's reposted a comment which didn't seem to have taken, only to see it appear twice.
Chainer
Dec 28, 2009 - permalink
You mean when you post a comment on an image page, it doesn't appear right away? Can you elaborate? That shouldn't be happening.
nytrytr777
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
I saw this pic tonight, where Chevron posted a comment and then posted a very similar comment a few hours later. Sounds like Chev didn't see the first comment appear.
chevron
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
Yep, that's exactly what happened ... I actually revisited the site several hours later (rather than simply flipped back to that page during a single visit), and my comment hadn't appeared so, thinking I'd maybe forgotten to hit 'submit' after composing the comment, I reposted it ... and then saw both versions appear simultaneously. Feel free to delete one of them, because they don't both need to be there.

Back to my original point -- your reprogramming may indeed improve one kind of efficiency (being a technonebbish, I'm happy to take your word for it), but it makes the site WAY less user-friendly. F'rinstance, I was checking the 'Highest rating' configuration, clicked on the first pic (which, according to the gallery page, was rated at 10) and found, on the pic's individual page, that it was actually down to 6.5.

The result is confusing and unsatisfying, not to mention far less fun than it was before. We now have no way of knowing what a pic's REAL rating is without actually clicking on it, and when we do we find that it is, almost invariably, other than what we're told on the gallery page, and that the 'Highest rating' gallery page doesn't come anywhere near to representing the ACTUAL rating order.

As a fan of the site who spends WAY more time here than he should, I'd urge you to reconsider this one.
Chainer
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
Actually, you were right before with your bug report. There was, in fact, a bug that caused the gallery pages not to update at all. I fixed it and it now works like I described above.

See how you like it now. It should be better.
chevron
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
That's good to know, and thanx for sorting it ...

But now, whenever I click on 'Images', I get THIS:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.girlswithmuscle.com Port 80
chevron
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
Right now, everything seems to be working once more ... well done, sir.
Chainer
Dec 29, 2009 - permalink
The Forbidden thing I had nothing to do with...

I changed the gallery pages so that they now update at 5 minute intervals regardless of the number of views. This should work better on the tag-order combinations that get less views.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »