Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Unusually large uploads

Oct 09, 2019 - permalink
I have noticed that in the past months, some pics were uploaded that are unusually large, i.e. with dimensions that are larger than I can download from Instagram. Sometimes these larger uploads replace existing uploads (and often, return to the smaller size after a day or so).

I found that I can make files larger myself through pikdo.net. For example: I downloaded this pic from Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3SKhTQIHHK/ It is 217 kB, and 1080 x 1349. The same pic can be found on Pikdo: https://pikdo.net/p/aspenskog/2148826241088647626_357892944. When downloaded, this pic is 1440 x 1799, and 227 kB. So it is considerably larger in width and height, but only slightly larger in kB. Which makes me think that it is not really larger than the original. Is there any way to tell if there's a real difference?

And if there is no difference, shouldn't these large uploads be handled with care?
Chainer
Oct 13, 2019 - permalink
When I merge images I do try to look at both versions side by side, and if the larger one shows no additional details over the smaller one, I'll keep the small one. I know Morph and Chipperpip do the same thing, as I'm sure do many other mods.

Unfortunately this process can be error prone and is time consuming (as in, harder than just letting the site do its default behavior, which would be to keep the larger one).

As for the image you linked to, here are the raw images files side by side:

Instagram version
Pikdo version

Here the larger one (Pikdo version) doesn't appear to show any additional detail over the smaller one, so I'd keep the smaller one.
Oct 19, 2019 - permalink
In understand that errors can be made. But it seems that someone is systematically uploading large pictures that already have smaller versions on this site, and have high numbers of likes. And by doing this, quickly collecting those likes.
As I can't find a source for these larger pictures, I think it is suspicious.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »