Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Title changed: pictures being removed

roadrunner
Aug 22, 2018 - permalink
A general interest question. Yesterday, I uploaded a picture of Annie Lemay (1044191, I think, since it's been deleted). Shortly thereafter, someone else uploaded the same picture, 1044232. I reported the duplicate, but find this AM (I live in the western USA) that my picture was the one deleted. This has happened a time or two before since I finally learned how to upload pictures early this year.

Is this a function of the other person in this case having uploaded over 1,640 pictures and I've uploaded, as of the time, just 50? The other instance again was someone who is a more prolific uploader. As an aside, I don't have a lot of time to do so much uploading and also review new stuff. I'm not complaining, but am curious.  Thanks.
Chainer
Aug 23, 2018 - permalink
In this case the two images were merged (because they're duplicates) and the other one was kept because it's higher resolution.

When merging images we try to follow the following priorities in this order:

• Keep the higher resolution one. (Sometimes an image will be a blown-up version of the original, so higher resolution but not higher quality. In that case this doesn't apply)
  • If the images are the same resolution, keep the one that was uploaded first (has a lower image ID).

edit by morphndupes:

We also consider things like how the images have been cropped, e.g. if one is less cropped than the other, that one will be favored in many cases.

A less common but not unknown consideration would be how the picture was edited with regard to color balance (black/white vs. color), whether or not an original watermark is included, etc.

Basically, there can be a lot that goes into it, and many times we have to make judgment calls on images with only small differences between them.

end edit 

The number of uploads you have doesn't factor into it at all.

roadrunner
Sep 20, 2018 - permalink
I've had several pictures; most notably of Emily Dadmun; removed in the past couple days. One of those Emily pictures was removed twice. But other Emily pictures that I uploaded have stayed up. I understand the new upload rule that pictures can be removed at any time without notice. But it would be helpful to get some feed back. Site name is shav6789.   Thanks.
Chainer
Sep 22, 2018 - permalink
They were deleted by mistake; I've returned them. Sorry about that.
roadrunner
Sep 23, 2018 - permalink
No worries. Thanks for checking back.
Oct 06, 2018 - permalink
I see there are notification messages now saying why a picture was deleted, that's a very welcome change!
Chainer
Oct 06, 2018 - permalink
It's not for every case, but staff can now select the reason from a dropdown list when deleting an image (or enter a custom reason in a text field), in which case the uploader gets a notification.
bicepslynn
Oct 09, 2018 - permalink
I often post pictures not on the site already. Then another member uploads the same picture hours or a day later, and their upload takes priority, it is credited to them, with my "Tags" and comments still assigned. I tend to put in the comments section now that I uploaded the original, in case this happens, so it can be seen that my comment is dated before the picture was uploaded by another user!
Seems like a little issue, I realise, but little things like this make you less likely to post images, especially when you posted first, then still have to wait 24 hours before you can upload any new pictures directly again.
If this must happen, and some older and more prolifically posting members get priority over newer members with their posts overwriting other members posts, could at least the daily post quota be credited again?
Chainer
Oct 11, 2018 - permalink
I looked and you do indeed have quite a few uploads that have been merged into newer uploads because the newer one is higher quality.

What's interesting about this is that you seem to consistently upload versions of images that are not the highest quality copy in existence. If you were to upload the high quality copy, then no one could come in after and "take over" you upload, because when two images are merged that are the same quality, the older one wins out.

So basically, where/how do you get your uploads? Whatever it is that you're doing, somehow others are able to find/upload larger versions of the same pics, and that's how you lose your uploads to them.
Oct 11, 2018 - permalink
If you were to upload the high quality copy, then no one could come in after and "take over" you upload, because when two images are merged that are the same quality, the older one wins out.

Is "tempp" an exception to that?  I feel like he (or they, or however that account works) sometimes uploads pics that are already present on the site in the same quality, but still gets credited as the uploader.
bicepslynn
Oct 11, 2018 - permalink
I looked and you do indeed have quite a few uploads that have been merged into newer uploads because the newer one is higher quality.

What's interesting about this is that you seem to consistently upload versions of images that are not the highest quality copy in existence. If you were to upload the high quality copy, then no one could come in after and "take over" you upload, because when two images are merged that are the same quality, the older one wins out.

So basically, where/how do you get your uploads? Whatever it is that you're doing, somehow others are able to find/upload larger versions of the same pics, and that's how you lose your uploads to them.
Chainer, I don't understand that. I get them from the same place others do, FB. Occasionally Instagram, but if on FB, they tend to be better quality, and it is harder to download from IG. You note, most of my posts are for the same model, who I follow and talk to daily.  The quality my end is exactly the same as the quality of the pictures that are overwritten.
Is there a setting on this web site that I should change? Occasionally, I have reported a duplicate post, same quality, but my older post is over written. It is odd.
My main moan is I upload, then picture is overwritten, then I wait 24 hours before I can upload again. So net result is I upload much less than i could, if you see what I mean. But I don't understand what is happening on the quality issue, Marina does not upload anywhere else in better quality.
Oct 11, 2018 - permalink
Occasionally Instagram, but if on FB, they tend to be better quality, and it is harder to download from IG.

It's actually pretty easy to download from IG if you use a browser add-on, I personally use this one for Firefox, there are others, including for other browsers:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/instagram-video-download/

I can't speak to the quality without two pics to compare directly, but it should be noted that just being the same resolution or even having a larger filesize doesn't necessarily mean a picture's the same or higher quality than another one, especially if it's been recompressed.

EDIT:  Also, if you're talking about Marina Lemenovskaya, it seems there are quite of few pics of her credited to tempp, which just reinforces my curiosity about my previous question.
Chainer
Oct 12, 2018 - permalink
But I don't understand what is happening on the quality issue, Marina does not upload anywhere else in better quality.

I can assure you that whenever one of your uploads is overwritten by another upload that was uploaded later, the later one is higher quality. Otherwise yours would be kept.

Here's an example:

Your upload: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/full/g3oomJlptYVlMezjOE3gpfZhIMzcXB5JtmXW7CG3.jpg
tempp's (later upload):
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

As you can see, tempp's is higher resolution so we kept that.

I suspect chipperpip is right and somehow you're not getting the highest quality from FB or instagram, so I suggest you look into an instagram add-on.
bicepslynn
Oct 12, 2018 - permalink
I can assure you that whenever one of your uploads is overwritten by another upload that was uploaded later, the later one is higher quality. Otherwise yours would be kept.

Here's an example:

Your upload: https://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/full/g3oomJlptYVlMezjOE3gpfZhIMzcXB5JtmXW7CG3.jpg
tempp's (later upload):
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

As you can see, tempp's is higher resolution so we kept that.

I suspect chipperpip is right and somehow you're not getting the highest quality from FB or instagram, so I suggest you look into an instagram add-on.

Thanks Chainer. I will have to investigate. Yes, there is a slight increase in size in the image you posted of Marina, so I am not sure. I asked her yesterday, and she confirmed she only posts to IG and FB , so everyone gets their images from the same place.
Very few come from IG as the issue I said for me, but I will investigate the app chipperpip suggests, thanks chipperpip.
Thanks everyone.
Chainer
Oct 13, 2018 - permalink
bicepslynn
Oct 14, 2018 - permalink
Marina uploads most pictures via Instagram with option set to upload at same time to Facebook. However, she also has 2 other pages on Facebook. One is her "Professional sports" page, another is secret and only has close friends in the members list. I think Instagram reduces the file size when uploaded to FB, but if you upload directly, which Marina does when uploading to her sports page and secret page, the file sizes would be closer to the original. So, anyone taking pictures from her "Marina Panther" page will get a reduced size as it is linked to IG. Often I get her pictures from that page.

Maybe IG records original upload file, and a reduced size for onward transmission to FB? No idea why 3 versions are required.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »