Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

GWM2 preview

Chainer
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
The new site is also missing some of the economy of the old one too. For instance the password and username boxes used to be on the home page - now they're on their own page, which means, click, page loads, type, click, page loads again. And it takes you back to the home screen, not the page you were browsing before you logged in, so effectively starting your session over. Sometimes I forget to log in, and then realize that I should be logged in in order to favorite something, which on the old site logging in while viewing a photo brought me back to where I was with just a minimal interruption.

Yeah, if you log in/out frequently, your workflow got a bit harder. I recommend staying logged in. But another way to think of this is, now when you're logged out the login bar isn't there on every page, unnecessarily taking up space.

Another economy that's missing is the links that switched between uploader/date uploaded/original file name. This has been changed to a dropdown, which is great when filling out forms, but here is more effort than it used to be.

This leads me to think more about the area below the photo on the single image page. The information is spread further across the screen than the photo itself, which means scanning the whole screen back and forth in order to read the info and the title of the info. I want to look at the photo, not decipher the info. So why so much screen space between the info and the titles of the info?

This is because when you're looking at that page on a small screen (like a phone), the whitespace collapses. That's also why it's a dropdown because on small screens there isn't room to have the links side-by-side like in the old layout.

The gallery page layout scales when the window is resized, which is ok in theory but I have to ask why? Usually when resizing a window, I want to see more of the page, not the page larger. I have tools to enlarge the page expecially on desktop.

The thumbnails do get somewhat larger up to a limit. This is to make them more appropriately sized for a larger screen (on the old layout I got lots of complaints that the thumbs were too small). It is possible that t he max thumb size should be decreased.

Another thing that distracts from the new layout is that the whole images are displayed on the thumbnail pages, and it's distracting to the eye because there is a lot of white space created by all the different aspect ratios on the page. Cropped thumbnails actually make me want to click into the single image page, because I want to see the whole image.

I did think about this for a while and decided against cropped thumbnails. The reason is that there are a lot of tall images (sometimes the height is twice the width) where the entire bottom half of the image would get cropped off in order to make the thumbnail a square. In most cases, this is the model's legs. This means that when you're browsing, you can never tell if a model's legs are hiding because they've been cropped, or not. I thought this would be annoying.

For what it's worth, though, the current thumbnail strategy (just resizing, no cropping) is what was done on the old layout, too.

The name of the person should be under the image. It's where we expect captions to be, not information. More importantly, it honors the subject of the photo.

It is under the image. You mean centered in the box?
sthenolagnia
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
My total score given has dropped several points. That could have been someone unfavoriting my pics, but more likely, could they have been lost during transition?
bmac75
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
How do I easily get to my favorites now?  I don’t see an selection for this in the top.
bmac75
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
Also the next button on the image page is wonky - it doesn’t track to the next image
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
How do I easily get to my favorites now?  I don’t see an selection for this in the top.

Click on your username at the top-right, they're at the bottom of your user page now.

EDIT:  Oh, there's a "favorites" option under the icon to the right of your username, also.
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
Something positive: The new site is much faster  :)
bmac75
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
Thanks chipperpip!  Is the slideshow feature gone?   
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
Please dear God go back to the way it was. This is atrocious on the computer. You can keep the speed but the layout is horrible.
Mar 18, 2018 - permalink
Excellent work Chainer! GWM 2 was taking too long! This change was fundamental to the future of GWM. The tendency is that the use of PC is limited to professionals and gaming. Touch devices are going to dominate the content consumer market.

For those who complain about the new design, look at this page:
https://www.deviantart.com/popular-all-time/?thumb_mode=0&view_mode=0&q=rentb&offset=0

The design of GWM is almost the same (a header, sidebar and a image grid) to Deviantart, and I do not see its millions of users complaining about it.

But, like all things, GWM2 can be improved:
  • It is true that the image grid is a bit saturated. You could do something similar to Deviantart, where there is more space between the images, but the name, favorites and comments appear when the mouse is hovered over the image.
  • The information below the photo should have a border around, not just horizontal lines. The name of the model should be centered and bold. Or with a slightly different background color.
  • I think you should remove the "show" button next to "score". When there are more than 100 favorites, it overflows the screen. In addition, I am convinced that this will harm some models. There are many users who would not give +1 or favorite in a picture of a FBB that is ugly face, if they expose their username.
  • The three main sections of the Home should have a border or a background color slightly different from the white background.
  • The sidebar also needs a border.
  • Restore positive or negative voting with the keyboard.
  • And since GWM allows it, would it be possible to add a user profile image?
jey
Mar 19, 2018 - permalink
    Guys thank you for great work! I like the 2nd version.

• I think you should remove the "show" button next to "score". When there are more than 100 favorites, it overflows the screen. In addition, I am convinced that this will harm some models. There are many users who would not give +1 or favorite in a picture of a FBB that is ugly face, if they expose their username.

I agree with kakuzade's notes above. Also could you improve intuitive UI by adding icons to (or instead) of texts? For example, "Favorite" button may be replaced with start or heart icon as it made in the instagram.

And how to vote for the Girl of Week?[/list]
Chainer
Mar 20, 2018 - permalink
The GotW is now split into a nomination phase and a voting phase. Nominations will close on a certain day of the week (Tues or Weds) and then voting will begin. Then the new GotW will be selected automatically on some day, maybe Sunday.
jey
Mar 20, 2018 - permalink
What is the button Subscribe located at picture page for?
Chainer
Mar 21, 2018 - permalink
If you're subscribed to a picture, you get notifications when someone comments on it.
Chainer
Mar 23, 2018 - permalink

Still, like all things, GWM2 can be improved:
  • It is true that the image grid is a bit saturated. You could do something similar to Deviantart, where there is more space between the images, but the name, favorites and comments appear when the mouse is hovered over the image.
  • The information below the photo should have a border around, not just horizontal lines. The name of the model should be centered and bold. Or with a slightly different background color.
  • The three main sections of the Home should have a border or a background color slightly different from the white background.
  • The sidebar also needs a border.
  • And since GWM allows it, would it be possible to add a user profile image?

Most of those UI improvement ideas are good and I'll think about them for the future.

I've restored hotkey voting. The shortcuts are A and R now, not A and L like before.

Profile pictures are a possibility but low priority.
Apr 02, 2018 - permalink
When voting, every single pic is bigger than my screen, so I have to scroll up and down every time (to look for copyright messages, for example). This causes me to vote less than I did before.

Is there a possibility to make the pics fit to screen when voting?
Apr 02, 2018 - permalink
I hope this post is in the right place. Website response seems to have slowed down in the past week or two. Videos take too long to load. However, I definitely prefer the new website layout, which posts lots of thumbnails very quickly.

I'd like to know if Chainer got a big increase in traffic since launching the new interface. That could explain why displaying videos takes so long. Thanks
Chainer
Apr 02, 2018 - permalink
I'm still working on fine tuning the performance.

Locking this thread now; for further issues, please post a new thread under Bug Reports for the issue (including performance issues, if that continues). Thanks.
Chainer
Apr 03, 2018 - permalink
Posting again to say that I made some significant changes to help the performance, so it should be better than even a few hours ago.

If you encounter more slowness, please make a new thread in Bug Reports.
Thread locked by [deleted].
« first < prev Page 2 of 2 next > last »