Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

New ads overwhelm iPad

ender
Feb 25, 2012 - permalink
It is impossible to view any picture as the popup ad redirects the page load. Haven't tried this yet on a real computer.
ender
Feb 25, 2012 - permalink
The new ads are a PITA with Firefox on a real computer too. I know that it is an important revenue generator so that we can all have the best free female muscle site on the net, but do all the page loads have to redirect?
unclebuck
Feb 25, 2012 - permalink
Same here. A site that blocks-out its own content is a site that HAS no content.
Chainer
Feb 25, 2012 - permalink
You can turn off the ads here:

http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/myprofile/index.php?pagename=ads

Is it the banner at the top of the page the is causing the redirect, or the interstitial ad?

The interstitial ad is supposed to come up once an hour between page views, and should have a "skip this ad" in the top right corner.
dongonzor
Feb 25, 2012 - permalink
Didn't want to complain, as I thought of those new ads as a nuisance that serves a higher purpose: the survival and thriving of GWM!
But I just got a huge ad overtaking the whole browserwindow and promoting Scientology?! No thank you! An ad-company promoting S. is very suspicious to me.
ender
Feb 26, 2012 - permalink
You can turn off the ads here:

Is it the banner at the top of the page the is causing the redirect, or the interstitial ad?

The interstitial ad is supposed to come up once an hour between page views, and should have a "skip this ad" in the top right corner.

It is both. The ad with the skip button takes several seconds to load and does on each page view. Occasionally, the top ad will overwhelm the browser too. It is orders of magnitude more annoying on iOS.

This is a pretty new gripe since I have been using my iPad for GWM for a long time. The ads just started Getty bad today.
unclebuck
Feb 26, 2012 - permalink
Yes, the ads re-load with every click of the mouse. There's no content to the site.
lotsandlotsapoo
Feb 26, 2012 - permalink
Sorry Chainer, I really do want to do what I can to support the site, but the new ads are really a problem. I'll be glad to turn them back on if you can manage to fix it, please let us know!
chief ouray
Feb 27, 2012 - permalink
The ads crashed my Safari browser and I am getting onto the site right now through Firefox. Not all ads have a "skip this ad" option and they cover the entire screen, rendering untouchable the line at the top to opt out. If I hit the back switch, it takes me entirely out of GwM.

I too want to see GwM stay as a free site and understand the need for ads. But ads that take over everything aren't helpful, IMHO.
arneolz
Feb 27, 2012 - permalink
My computer is warning for virus every time i visit this site now
Chainer
Feb 27, 2012 - permalink
My computer is warning for virus every time i visit this site now

Turn off the ads:
chief ouray
Feb 29, 2012 - permalink
I just hit "disable."  I really don't mind the small ads and I understand that they support this site as a free site. But the full screen ads when I get onto the site are way too much. If those go away, and its just the small ads again, then I'll remove my "disable."
musgrlfan1
Mar 01, 2012 - permalink
Agreed.
unclebuck
Mar 02, 2012 - permalink
Ads that cover-up content defeat the point. Everyone gets that it's a free site. But the only way to see the site at all is to turn off the ads.
unclebuck
Mar 10, 2012 - permalink
Too bad it's dificult to get worthwhile ads for an 'adult site'. Everyone knows how a free site works. I think most people would endure even 'annoying' ads. It's part of how it works. But ads which completely blank-out the page defeat the purpose. Hopefully something can be found that works. Nobody minds ads.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »