Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Noisy 'talking' ads ...

chevron
Aug 04, 2011 - permalink
Whilst I totally appreciate the need for advertising revenue in order to support  the GWM site, can I just say that the 'talking' ads are INCREDIBLY irritating, as they render silent browsing impossible unless you mute your 'puter before opening any pages?

EDIT: And sometimes you actually get TWO competing talking ads jabbering across each other ... unbelievably irritating. I hereby pledge never to use any product advertised by a GWM talking ad.

Seriously, Chainer ... these ads radically interfere with enjoyment of the site ... and are seriously counter-productive.
rmbo47
Aug 06, 2011 - permalink
Seriously. This is some of the most annoying and intrusive crap I've ever seen. "NO JOKE - YOU'RE THE 100,000th VISITOR!!" And the freakin' thing has to SCREAM it at me?? 
chevron
Aug 07, 2011 - permalink
Chainer -- if you MUST have these damn things on each and every picture page, can you at least arrange it so there's only ONE AT A TIME? Not TWO cross-jabbering commercials?

I've been a frequent and happy visitor to GWM almost since it was inaugurated -- but if the babble continues I'll (VERY RELUCTANTLY) have to say buh-bye.
chevron
Aug 11, 2011 - permalink
Talky ads appear to have gone.

Chainer -- thank you.
Chainer
Aug 12, 2011 - permalink
I didn't do anything.  :-X

Unfortunately I don't think I have control over the specific ads they give.
chief ouray
Aug 12, 2011 - permalink
It seems that now, I need to wait before viewing a picture to see what sort of ad appears and shut it off. Yes, the talking ads are still present. And if one lingers too long on a picture after shutting off a "talkie," another talking ad appears.

I'm not complaining as I understand the need to raise funds in order to keep this a free site. But it's almost worth the $10 per month for Lou Krivda's site or Her Biceps at $11.95 to avoid the ad hassle.
chevron
Aug 15, 2011 - permalink
Unfortunately, the Chief is right ... much as I love this site, I'm checking in less frequently ... and whenever the talky ads start jabbering across each other, I leave.
Chainer
Aug 17, 2011 - permalink
I've been told the talking ads have been disabled. Let me know if they keep happening.
halfkorean
Aug 18, 2011 - permalink
Not only are the noisy ads still there, but now I keep being redirected to something called crackle.com.
Chainer
Aug 19, 2011 - permalink
You are the second person reporting this to me. I have contacted the ad network about it.
halfkorean
Aug 21, 2011 - permalink
GWM is completely unusable to me in Firefox now because I can't stay on any pages for more than a couple of seconds before I get redirected to crackle.com. And my browser is telling me it's preventing up to 6 pop-ups on each page just before I get redirected. Something is haywire. Have any of you found a cause and solution for this? I now have to use Safari, which I don't normally ever open, to view GWM.
frankw
Aug 21, 2011 - permalink
I'm getting the Crackle dot com forwarding also. And after temporarily disappearing for a little while, the  pop up ads are back with a vengeance, worse than they were before. Each click sometimes giving me three pop ups. I don't get these anywhere else.
halfkorean
Aug 21, 2011 - permalink
I can second that. The popups and redirects to Crackle are only happening on GWM.
ferrari
Aug 21, 2011 - permalink
That' really strange, I don't have this "talking" ads ???
Chainer
Aug 25, 2011 - permalink
I've now put in a feature that lets you disable the ads on the site.

Please read the text on the page before disabling them:
http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/myprofile/index.php?pagename=ads
chevron
Aug 26, 2011 - permalink
It's a shame there's no practical way to engineer a simple 'mute' on the talky ads while leaving the silent ones in place. As I've said before, I TOTALLY understand the need to have ads in order to subsidise a free-at-the-point-of-delivery site like this ... and it's only the talky ones which are actively annoying and distracting.
viceclown
Aug 28, 2011 - permalink
I disabled ads. I'll GLADLY re-enable them if you can get rid of the crackle.com redirects (still doing it as of 8/28) and obtrusive talking ads! Cheers!
Chainer
Aug 29, 2011 - permalink
I'm doing my best to block the ads that redirect to crackle.com, I'm just having problems finding out which ones they are.

The crackle.com banners have already been blocked... there seems to be something else doing it.
chief ouray
Sep 06, 2011 - permalink
Here's another glitch in your ad system. I just returned to the site after being away for several days. I had 8 notifications. As I visited each picture and returned to the notification page, I ended up with about 45 of your ads automatically downloading themselves to my download file during the entire review process. A real pain to delete them all. What gives?
chief ouray
Sep 06, 2011 - permalink
I just tried the home page again; clicked on just one picture; and the polls page. I got 7 more ads downloaded automatically; all of them coded HTML 72890-ad.html; with a number sequence 2 through 7 for six of them.  I've been on line since 1997 through three different Mac computers and have never had this happen with any site except now GwM.   ????
chief ouray
Sep 06, 2011 - permalink
Appears to be an issue with my Safari browser, but not with Firefox.
faceplant53
Oct 25, 2011 - permalink
Yes, they are AWFUL and need to be removed promptly.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »