Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Better rating system?

mrfoobar
Dec 13, 2009 - permalink
The website-scoring system doesn't seem to work too well -- all the good images, even some really fantastic ones, just hover with a score around the 8 mark.

Does anyone else think that a thefairest.info/bestthing.info-style voting page would be worth adding?

('Pootery people: see http://bestthing.info/algorithms.html)

In theory, it shouldn't be that hard to implement, and should have much better results..
musclemaster
Dec 14, 2009 - permalink
I haven't read the algorithm, but I suggested the same exact thing (minus the link) a few months ago.  I still support the idea, but so far no groundswell of support to inspire action.  Max score is about 8.6 btw
mrfoobar
Dec 14, 2009 - permalink
Thinking about it, better scores would be a useful side-effect -- but more usefully it'd provide a great way to browse the content of the site.

There are just so many photos now...
mranonymous
Dec 15, 2009 - permalink
Thinking about it, better scores would be a useful side-effect -- but more usefully it'd provide a great way to browse the content of the site.

There are just so many photos now...
My way to browser is:
open a page (example 1) CTRL-CLICK all images (looool yes, i do so), then go on the 2nd tab, and click CTRL-F4 to close everyimage....when you're back to the 1st and only tab, click page 2 and start again :D :D
It's the faster mode to view all uploaded images, now ^^
musclemaster
Dec 18, 2009 - permalink
You can already sort by highest rating, so the highest raw (arithmetically averaged) scores would still be the same if some sort of "curving" algorithm was put on it.  So, in terms of browsing pleasure the current system should be equivalent.  I merely thought that scores should go closer to 10 and that way would better reflect what we really think of them.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »