Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

New GWM site?

Jun 16, 2009 - permalink
Chainer,

Why don't you consider making the whole website a PHP-based forum?  It will either be free or close to free.  Then you can load all the pictures from the old website onto various pages of the forum and readers can add their own comments, pictures, etc. as they feel like.  As forum moderator you can take down inappropriate posts.  This not only reduces your costs but makes the website much more interactive and conversational, like messages.herbiceps.com.  Just my 2 cents, Larry
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
I did like the current format that Chainer had going, it was fun and easy to navigate.  I had donated before and would again if money is the issue.  I enjoy the community of people that are here and I hope we can get the site back in any form or fashion.  I'll help anyway I can also, happy flexing.
Kristi
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
I will donate whatever the format is. 

Frydock - it's a capitalist country, and I need to make a profit.  If I make a penny on each of my thoughts, I ought to be able to buy a private island in a few years and stop paying income taxes to our newly gigantic Federal government.  Ummm, maybe not.
mranonymous
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
@rutabaga22 i don't like the idea of a forum with pictures.... it's just like THE OTHERS FORUMS.. and believe me, it's much worse!!
I just like the SITE as it is now!
I really like the PHP-site (non forum) that Chainer did! :)

I hope to see it again, in the new hosting !

Bye
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
Maybe we should know for sure that a new site is in the works, becuase I think a few would like to start donating but we need assurance that it's going for something.  Like the old powergirls site that never came back around, we don't want that to happen here.
Kristi
Chainer
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
I'm almost 100% sure I want to keep the old site format, as it makes the site unique from all the other message boards (like girlsbiceps.fempoint.net and the HB forums), and it's also a lot more interactive (i.e., each picture can have comments dedicated solely to itself). The main problem with it is that the code I wrote wasn't terribly well-optimized, because I didn't know how popular the site would grow, and I wasn't sure what the resource limit was.

Right now I'll be working on optimizing some of the site's code in my free time, but the site WILL be back. Hopefully within the next few weeks.
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
Sounds good to me.
Kristi
tetris
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
https://www.google.com/adsense ?
You could keep the site up from the income...
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
Sounds good to me too.  Larry
philbert
Jun 17, 2009 - permalink
Thats great news. Look forward to the new site
mranonymous
Jun 18, 2009 - permalink
I'm almost 100% sure I want to keep the old site format, as it makes the site unique from all the other message boards (like girlsbiceps.fempoint.net and the HB forums), and it's also a lot more interactive (i.e., each picture can have comments dedicated solely to itself). The main problem with it is that the code I wrote wasn't terribly well-optimized, because I didn't know how popular the site would grow, and I wasn't sure what the resource limit was.

Right now I'll be working on optimizing some of the site's code in my free time, but the site WILL be back. Hopefully within the next few weeks.
I totally agree with you, Chainer! :)
And i also agree with the Google AdSense idea :)

Let's make the site back!! XD
asdfasdf
Jun 20, 2009 - permalink
https://www.google.com/adsense ?
You could keep the site up from the income...

I was just going to suggest that, google ads
anon-e-mouse
Jun 20, 2009 - permalink
Not being too familiar with site restrictions (or all the ins-and-outs of "computerese"), I have to say that it was a wonder that the site grew so large with such a huge database of pics stored on it. I know that each pic takes up a certain amount of storage and to have one with over 270 pages of pics was awesome, to say the least. I am just wondering if the same problem won't occur again (i.e.: resource limit), no matter what funding source(s) is used. Doesn't "exceeding bandwidth" also play a role in this?
Chainer
Jul 02, 2009 - permalink
Site's back up! If you haven't noticed.

Let's hope these resource issues don't happen again... at least for a while.
nytrytr777
Jul 02, 2009 - permalink
Yaayy! Good job, Chainer. Thanks.
ender
Jul 02, 2009 - permalink
Glad you are back. >:D
lehcim
Jul 02, 2009 - permalink
Great now how about a update. Just kidding Chainer!  ;) Glad it's up and running again!!!!!! Maybe you should start dumping any pictures that have a rating lower then 5 that been voted on at least 10 times. Somehting along that effect to get rid of dead weight pictures so you don't have problems again. Just a thought.
Jul 02, 2009 - permalink
Thank you for all your hard work!

;)
kups1234
Jul 03, 2009 - permalink
Thank God its running again! Thanks!
pauld
Jul 03, 2009 - permalink
Seems like the "top 10" list has qite a bit of fluctuation, perhaps not allowing pics with less than 10 votes or so to go up on at least the 1st page will help a little.
Thread locked by cgsweat.
« first < prev Page 1 of 1 next > last »