Forum > Site Discussion > Thread

Categorizing pictures...?

Chainer
Dec 11, 2008 - permalink
Several people have suggested that I come up with a way to categorize the pictures on the main site. I'm not quite sure what system to use, but here's one idea that I've come up with:

I would have a number of preset tags, such as "bicep", "abs", "bodybuilder", "gymnast", etc. On each picture page, people could tag the image with any number of these tags, or remove tags from the picture. Then, on the main images index, one would have the option of only viewing images with a certain tag.

In addition to the tags, there would be a system where each image page can be labeled with the name of the person in the picture, and then on the images index, you could view all the images of any certain person that have been labeled with their name.

Other ideas? Or do you like this?

Overall, I just want to sort and organize the images in some way-- as of this post, there are 2,740 images on the site, and finding any specific one is very hard.
moumoune
Dec 11, 2008 - permalink
I agree with pictures categories! It'll help to search in the proper sections...

Thanks for this nice website! Keep up the good work!
suasponte
Dec 11, 2008 - permalink
I third the category idea!  Do I hear a "Motion carried?"
Chainer
Dec 11, 2008 - permalink
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm categorizing them somehow, I just want to make sure that the method I outlined above is good before I carry through with it.
jimbo53
Dec 11, 2008 - permalink
First, I think this is a great site and want to thank you for the time and effort you're putting into it. Categorization is always helpful and multiple tags will apply to most pictures. Another thing to think about is grouping pictures by date posted so that if someone is a regular they can click on the day(s) they may have missed and see just those pictures.

Best wishes for tremendous success with this site.
cotps
Dec 12, 2008 - permalink
I agree with the categorizing idea, who wouldn't?  It might be worthwhile to discuss where the site intends to go in order to decide on how to do that.
Just a thought.  Comments?
Chainer
Dec 12, 2008 - permalink
Another thing to think about is grouping pictures by date posted so that if someone is a regular they can click on the day(s) they may have missed and see just those pictures.

I like that suggestion, but the problem is that I haven't kept track of the dates of the pictures I've posted so far. I keep track of the order in which they were posted, but not the date.

Don't know how to overcome that...
cotps
Dec 13, 2008 - permalink
If you keep track of the order in which you post, the dates should flow from there.  Am I wrong?
the brucester
Dec 13, 2008 - permalink
If they gave out a Golden Globe Award for websites, I'd give Chainer this award hands down!!! Or better yet, let a fine lady give it to him arms flexed (haha)!!! In any event, this is one heckuva terrific website and I want to express my thanks and appreciation to Chainer. BTW I also like the idea of "categorization" for the pics: "biceps" - "abs" - "gymnasts" - "bare-backs" - etc... Anyhow no matter what Chainer decides to do, this website is a WINNER all the way and so is he!!! Meanwhile I'm so "chained-down" I can't seem to leave. But looking at the bright side, it keeps me off the streets!!!  :D - Brucester
cotps
Dec 14, 2008 - permalink

Yeah, you're a bit wrong...

This is how the database of the images looks. Here are the 5 most recent images as of this post:

OK.  Seems like adding a db file for dates is more trouble than it might be worth.  The type sort option is still a great idea.  Possible categories?  :
Natural (GND)
Bis
Calves
Legs
Look forward to hearing others input.

kngubu
Dec 29, 2008 - permalink
I would suggest being able to search through multiple categories and/or the seclusion of any given category.  The best engine I've seen of that type is at overflowingbra.com.

I'd also keep the categories fairly broad.  Some things that some immediately to mind are degrees of muscularity, on/off season shape, degree of nudity/clothing, lifting/posing/candid/model, professional/amateur/both, photo/drawing, and morphed/unmorphed.  There are more specific tags that can be added but it seems to me that one can find exactly what they're looking for within these broader categories if they know how to look for it.
lot100
Dec 29, 2008 - permalink
definately categorizing would be a great idea - my thoughs on categories:

1/ abs
2/ biceps
3/ back
4/ legs
5/ overall physique
6/ gymnasts
7/ teens
8/ strenght feats/lifitng
9/ misc (things that don't fit into above category)

also a last updated section would be cool where users could view by "last updated" and have the option of viewing by 1day, 5 days, 10 days 30 days, 2 months etc
Chainer
Dec 30, 2008 - permalink
OK, so here's a tentative list of tags, partially based on y'all suggestions:

• biceps
  • triceps (need/want this?)
  • abs
  • back
  • legs (should this be split into quads and calves?)
  • bodybuilder
  • figure/fitness
  • gymnast
  • working out
  • strong (not sure if this should separate from working out)
  • teen (not sure about this yet)
  • beautiful face (I like the idea of this because for me, the face is just as important as the muscles, what do you think?)
  • morph (I don't want to have any of these on the site, so this is a good way to have them tagged for removal)

Keep in mind that an image will be able to have as many tags as you want, so if we had a morphed picture of a 19-year-old gymnast-turned-figure-competitor-turned-bodybuilder with an attractive face flexing all her muscles in a bikini with weights in her hands, it could get all the above tags.  ;D

This is coming within the next few days--hopefully shortly after New Year's, if not before. You'll also get the ability to upload pictures! among other abilities. whoo!

Also, I'm not planning on adding anything with images categorized by the day they were posted anytime soon... it would be hard to implement (since the dates of most images up until now weren't saved), and it's not too useful. If you miss a day or two of updates, just browse through the first couple of pages until you get to images that you recognize.
Chainer
Jan 03, 2009 - permalink
It's done. Once lots of images are tagged, I'm planning to add a feature where you'll be able to select to view images with multiple tags--such as view all pictures tagged with "biceps" and "veins" and "gymnast" for example.
lejtkar
Jan 03, 2009 - permalink
Hi Chainer,
The new look of your fantastic web site is great! Thank you for your efforts. I hope I will find the pictures worth being added to my favorites I have already seen here during past month.
I just wanted one more suggestion for the categorizing. Could you also add NATURAL to the list?
Best regards
chevron
Jan 03, 2009 - permalink
A few more tags which might be useful:
*athletics (ie sporting stuff other than gymnastics)
*glutes/butt/whatever
*delts/shoulders/whatever
*glamour (for anything T&A-ish)
*teen etc (so that the 'young' stuff can be either avoided or sought, depending on choice)

Also: maybe have separate buttons for adding and replacing tags. I tagged something and found that my tag replaced the one which was already there, whereas I simply wanted to add an additional one. That might also solve the prob of how to add multiple tags: you just add one, and then repeat the procedure to add others.

Finally: the image gallery isn't showing, and the only way to view images is the rather unsystematic one of using and reusing the 'randomize' button. I presume this being worked on ...

Nice site, BTW. Good luck with it!
chevron
Jan 04, 2009 - permalink
Couple more thoughts -- in the case of duplicate posts of the same picture, it'd probably make sense (time permitting) to remove one (the lower-rated?) and combine ratings and comments for both in the remaining version.

Also: another tag which may prove useful is 'arm-wrestling' -- there've been a few of those posted.

Meanwhile, keep on keepin' on with the good work ...
bkd
Jan 04, 2009 - permalink
Hey,

the tags "lats" and "traps" would be a great addition too.

And another suggestion would be to configure the rating system in a way that pictures show up in the "top rated" list only after having a certain number of votes (maybe at least 10 or 15). Makes not much sense to put them into top rated list with only one 10-points-rating :) Or maybe calculate the rating depending on the number of votes (normalize them in a certain way). But I can't think of a suitable formula right now lol

Anyway.. thanks Chainer for this fantastic website!

Chainer
Jan 04, 2009 - permalink
Hmm, let me compile the tags you want added into a list for future reference:

-natural
-athletics
-glutes/butt
-delts/shoulders
-glamour
-teen
-armwrestling
-lats
-traps

I'm not sure all of those will be added, as I don't want the tags box to get too big.

Also: maybe have separate buttons for adding and replacing tags. I tagged something and found that my tag replaced the one which was already there, whereas I simply wanted to add an additional one. That might also solve the prob of how to add multiple tags: you just add one, and then repeat the procedure to add others.

If you want to add a tag, just hold CTRL (Windows) or Command (Macs) while selecting your new tag. You'll notice that the tags currently on the image are already selected, so the new one you select should just be added to the others without deselecting them. Same thing for removing tags.

Couple more thoughts -- in the case of duplicate posts of the same picture, it'd probably make sense (time permitting) to remove one (the lower-rated?) and combine ratings and comments for both in the remaining version.

This doesn't make sense to me... duplicates are removed before they're even posted on the site, so they never get rated or commented.

And another suggestion would be to configure the rating system in a way that pictures show up in the "top rated" list only after having a certain number of votes (maybe at least 10 or 15). Makes not much sense to put them into top rated list with only one 10-points-rating :) Or maybe calculate the rating depending on the number of votes (normalize them in a certain way). But I can't think of a suitable formula right now lol

If you choose to order the Images page by "Weighted Rating", it orders by (number of ratings * average rating), which I think is pretty close to what you're describing. It leads to a more consistent ordering where an image with a single rating of 10 doesn't get put to the top. I just chose to put "highest rating" instead of weighted rating on the front page because I actually think it's interesting how it changes more often... if I put "weighted rating" there, we would be looking at the same 9 pictures for much of the time without any change.
bkd
Jan 05, 2009 - permalink
If you choose to order the Images page by "Weighted Rating", it orders by (number of ratings * average rating), which I think is pretty close to what you're describing. It leads to a more consistent ordering where an image with a single rating of 10 doesn't get put to the top. I just chose to put "highest rating" instead of weighted rating on the front page because I actually think it's interesting how it changes more often... if I put "weighted rating" there, we would be looking at the same 9 pictures for much of the time without any change.
Oh didn't see the weighted rating option. And you're right... it wouldn't be that interesting on the front page. So, forget my idea. :)
kngubu
Jan 05, 2009 - permalink
I just now saw the option to randomize and wanted to mention that I think it's great.
chevron
Jan 05, 2009 - permalink

If you want to add a tag, just hold CTRL (Windows) or Command (Macs) while selecting your new tag. You'll notice that the tags currently on the image are already selected, so the new one you select should just be added to the others without deselecting them. Same thing for removing tags.

This doesn't make sense to me... duplicates are removed before they're even posted on the site, so they never get rated or commented.

1) Yep, that's sorted ...

2) I guess that's sorted now also -- I did, however, see two versions of a couple of pics while you were still organising the site upgrade.
chevron
Jan 05, 2009 - permalink
Incidentally, if you go to Images and select the Recently Posted/Abs option, you'll find a pic repeated from the bottom row of Page 1 to the top row of Page 2 ...
Chainer
Jan 06, 2009 - permalink
Incidentally, if you go to Images and select the Recently Posted/Abs option, you'll find a pic repeated from the bottom row of Page 1 to the top row of Page 2 ...

Can you link to both of them? I'm not finding it.

Chances are the two pictures are different sizes, in which case the duplicate-checking script fails to recognize them as the same.

Edit: I added the new tags, except for "natural" which I think is redundant, as most girls/women on the site probably fit that description.
chevron
Jan 06, 2009 - permalink
Can you link to both of them? I'm not finding it.

Chances are the two pictures are different sizes, in which case the duplicate-checking script fails to recognize them as the same.

http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/imgpage.html?imgid=3866
http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/images/imgpage.html?imgid=3873

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »