Forum > Announcements > Thread

New "Hidden Gems" feature

Chainer
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
This is an experimental feature whose point is to highlight great pics which have been underrated.

Below eligible pics on the site, you'll see a button that says "Pin to front page" in the lower left of the image info box:

An image is eligible if it meets the following conditions:

• Has a score of 50 or less
  • Is at least a week old
  • The model in the picture has no more than 25 images on the site (or if there is no name set)

Once you click the "Pin to front page" button, the image will appear under the Hidden Gems section on the front page for 5 hours. You can only pin a single image at a time. After the 5 hour period you can pin a new image (or the same one, if it is still eligible).

Tips to find images: Image search with random ordering, or images with no name set.

(Credit to cgsweat's post for serving as one source of inspiration for this idea.)

Edit: Raised score cap to 50, up from 20.
Edit: Raised amount of time images stay pinned to 5 hours, up from 2.
cgsweat
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
Thanks for the credit, Chainer. 

I just pinned a nameless pic and it works nicely.  Having trouble finding models with 25 posts or less though.  Also it seems if someone wanted to, they could bypass the (no more than 25 images on the site) criteria by temporarily changing the name in the post.  That is, except for models with locked names.
Chainer
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
I did put in a check so that it won't let you pin a pic if you changed the name within the past 24 hours.

As for the 25 pic restriction, the goal here is to highlight not very well known pics/models. I could see an argument to increase this to, say, 50, if the 25 is overly restrictive.
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
In my opinion the 2 hour limit is way too short. We are spread all over the world in different time zones, so just a very few will have the chance to see the girls on this page.

Edit:
BTW: Great idea, especially for finaly gettin a name. So maybe don't restrict the pics without name so much.
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
I'm curious why this one that was pinned seemed to become ineligible after I added the name:
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
, given that it currently has a score of 40, was posted in Feb, and she only has 8 pics on the site.

EDIT:  Oh I see, the option probably just doesn't appear for me because I changed the name within the last 24 hours, and the pic just happened to finish its 2 hours around the same time.
gshock36
Apr 01, 2020 - permalink
Here's another that meets the hidden gem criteria but that option doesn't appear? 
Chainer
Apr 02, 2020 - permalink
Made a few changes:

You now get a notification when your image is done being pinned that tells you how much new score and how many new comments your image got while it was pinned.

Images now stay pinned for 5 hours.

Button shows up for me...
tamarok
Apr 04, 2020 - permalink
Any chance you can add an indicator as to when we last pinned was? I last pinned 10 hours or more ago and don’t have a pin option. I was trying to pin an image with 21 points, though can’t pin any images at this point.
cgsweat
Apr 05, 2020 - permalink
Would there be a way to add a search filter for score range?  I'm thinking of something like an upper and lower range that the user could type in.  0-50 would work nicely for Hidden Gems, and I'm sure there could be many other useful applications of it.
Chainer
Jul 07, 2020 - permalink
I changed this slightly so that images don't disappear when the 5 hour pin time expires; you can filter for them on the image index page here. You can still only pin one image per 5 hours though.

Would there be a way to add a search filter for score range?  I'm thinking of something like an upper and lower range that the user could type in.  0-50 would work nicely for Hidden Gems, and I'm sure there could be many other useful applications of it.

It could definitely be done but I don't consider it important enough to clutter the search form with it. Besides half the fun of hidden gems is looking for the eligible pics :)
M76
Jan 29, 2021 - permalink

I've seen a lot of images that get repeatedly pinned to the main page. I think there should be a limit on how many times an image can get pinned in a certain timeframe. I mean if an image can't get 50 likes after being repeatedly pinned, maybe it's time to allow other images to appear instead. That people might actually like.

tamarok
Jan 29, 2021 - permalink

Limiting the number of times an image can be pinned or how often could be interesting. For example not being able to pin an image before 1 month of the last pin date?

M76
Jan 29, 2021 - permalink

Something like that. Or perhaps a permanent limit. If an image was pinned 5 times and still didn't get beyond 50 points it should no longer be eligible for pinning.

Chainer
May 11, 2021 - permalink

I can't pin images, how old does your account have to be?

10 days old.

May 13, 2021 - permalink

Limiting the number of times an image can be pinned or how often could be interesting. For example not being able to pin an image before 1 month of the last pin date?

Can we revisit this feature request? Certain photos seem to get pinned multiple times a week. Putting a hold on an image for a month after the last pin date sounds like a great idea.

Jun 29, 2021 - permalink

M76 offered:

Something like that. Or perhaps a permanent limit. If an image was pinned 5 times and still didn't get beyond 50 points it should no longer be eligible for pinning.

Right, because it's not like the site regularly gets new users who might end up liking a previously pinned image.

Punish the obsessive pinner, not the image

Jun 29, 2021 - permalink

Putting a hold on an image for a month after the last pin date sounds like a great idea.

Such rules can have unintended consequences. Seems a bit heavy handed for something that is supposed to be fun.

What is the purpose of pinning the image?

I think it is to expose the image to "new eyes" who may have not noticed or appreciated it before.

How does the image pinner know if the image is appreciated? It will get more points.

I can only assume if the image fails to get more points after a few postings, the pinner will give up. So why the rules?

Jun 29, 2021 - permalink

Some "gems" deserve to stay hidden.

Jul 24, 2021 - permalink

I've a question about how the Advanced Search and Hidden Gems features interact. If I go to Advanced Search and select "Hidden Gems", "Images", and sort by "High Score (All Time)", the top search results show scores of over 200 votes, way over the 50-vote threshold to be a "Hidden Gem".

Is this a bug, or am I missing something, subtle or obvious?

cgsweat
Jul 24, 2021 - permalink

I've a question about how the Advanced Search and Hidden Gems features interact. If I go to Advanced Search and select "Hidden Gems", "Images", and sort by "High Score (All Time)", the top search results show scores of over 200 votes, way over the 50-vote threshold to be a "Hidden Gem".

Is this a bug, or am I missing something, subtle or obvious?

When you search "Hidden Gems" it is displaying every image that has been previously pinned by other users. Yes, some of these images have gone on to get scores as high as 200, much to the credit of users pinning them (while they still had a score below 50). There isn't really a filter in place right now that could easily pick out something for you to pin, you just need to be aware of the pinning eligibility criteria and the blue button will appear on images that qualify.

Jul 24, 2021 - permalink

I completely misunderstood the point of the "hidden gems" button. Thanks for the explanation.

cgsweat
Jul 24, 2021 - edited Aug 06, 2021 - permalink

An image is eligible if it meets the following conditions:

• Has a score of 50 or less

• Is at least a week old

• The model in the picture has no more than 25 images on the site (or if there is no name set)

It seems this also includes images that only have a first name. An example is "Maryon" who has 3 pages (200+ images) of content on the site, yet several of her images can still be pinned.

minor grammar edit Aug 6, 2021
Chainer
Jul 24, 2021 - permalink

It does for now but I'll fix that soon.

cgsweat
Aug 06, 2021 - permalink

As a workaround, I batch renamed her from "Maryon" to "Maryon (kim_hale_fitness)," which seems to work.

« first < prev Page 1 of 2 next > last »